Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Im not fussed about the whole thing. Trades aren’t approached from the POV of trying to screw over the other party as much as possible - the long term damage is greater than the short term satisfaction.

The bottom line with this trade was being able to get sufficient return from the Hogan trade to allow us to acquit all plans that rested on the trade. We seem to have done that. Whether it should be 19 or 23 coming back is relevant only as fuel for endless back and forth on the D&T board with muppets.

May is a gun. There is a reason why clubs have been chasing him. That defense is starting to look genuinely promising. I’m looking forward to seeing it in action.

Xhoquelin

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Charlotte Hornets
You'd imagine we'll be targeting a small in the draft, honestly I'd be fine with us spending 2-3 picks on small forwards.
Wouldn’t mind this. On the wing we should have Stretch Fritsch Spargo but more importantly we need our midfield group to learn how to complement each other more and spread more from the contest.

Reckon Trac will play further up the ground, and Salem should get more midfield minutes.

Hopefully Jeffy returns to his 2017 form though. Would be the easiest solution. We don’t have many ground level threats when we bomb the ball forward

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wouldn’t mind this. On the wing we should have Stretch Fritsch Spargo but more importantly we need our midfield group to learn how to complement each other more and spread more from the contest.

Reckon Trac will play further up the ground, and Salem should get more midfield minutes.

Hopefully Jeffy returns to his 2017 form though. Would be the easiest solution. We don’t have many ground level threats when we bomb the ball forward

Petracca doesn't need to play further up the ground with how stacked our midfield is, I actually prefer him predominantly deep forward.

Xhoquelin

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Charlotte Hornets
Petracca doesn't need to play further up the ground with how stacked our midfield is, I actually prefer him predominantly deep forward.
It’s a fair call. We now have zero forward depth if Weed or TMac goes down so having Trac Vanders will be pretty important in the case of injury.

Would like us to go with a more dynamic forward line at times tbh but alas Goody has committed to Preuss best 22. Would personally prefer Weed try and do what Pedo did in 2017 by applying good pressure and ground level presence and then just have a TMac/Milkshakes/Trac/Vanders/Hannan/. small forward forward six for that period of time

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Just heard that Essendon are looking to offload Travis Colyer, with Freo looking at him, would like to get involved for a late pick. A. We get to pip Freo ... B. He's got plenty of speed
Not him. Before he got suspended I would have jumped at it, but he hasn’t come on the way I imagined. Speed he has but his turnover capacity puts Dom in the absolute shade. Plus he goes missing for such lengthy periods I get worried that he must have died.

Just heard that Essendon are looking to offload Travis Colyer, with Freo looking at him, would like to get involved for a late pick. A. We get to pip Freo ... B. He's got plenty of speed
He's also s**t

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I haven’t bothered reading the melts over the last 10 pages. We are all entitled to our opinion but their is a reason why are writing on a Internet forum and JM is football ops manager of an afl club. We probably know 20% of the full story behind hogan.

Deal was fair, slightly unders but we wanted May and freo had that against us knowing they would be an even better chance at getting hogan next year.

We are trying to win a flag now not in 2 years time. There is no more time for developing kids. May will others around him better. Letting omac/frost constantly take the second best tall. Lever as a true third. And more so freeing up Hibberd to play more a attacking role from half back.

Theo X

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
East Wedderburn Trugo Club
2jc67t2.jpg

Freo: Josh, I'll trade you this delicious doorstop for your crummy old Danish
Mahoney: Done and done!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm going to miss Jesse , I was looking forward to seeing him play through his prime years for us, but sounds like he really did want to go home so in that context the deal was the best we could do for ourselves in this moment.

Now looking forward to having a solid (dare I say talented?) back line, May and Lever coming in alongside proven guns Hibberd and Jetta, with Salem also improving massively this year. Weideman will now get loads of opportunity so we'll watch with interest

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
I'm content.

The Hogan trade wasn't a great one, but not a terrible one either. At the end of the day he didn't want to be here so good luck to him. And our best footy was played almost exclusively without I'm. But I do think he's a very good player and will miss him.

We'll get 5 good years out of May. He's younger than Bernie was at end of 2013 and he played 100 games. KK could make this trade an excellent one but he could be a bust. Pick 23 likewise.

Credit to Peter Bell, his tactics paid off.

Meds

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
There's a few different scenarios being talked about in relation to Jesse, so I thought I'd have a crack at putting them in order of which ones I'd want to happen.

1. Jesse stays, and we somehow manage to trade in May with some creative pick swapping and a bit of Mahoney magic
2. Jesse goes, we use what we receive from Freo to bring in May plus another ready to go player. (outside mid ideally)
3. Jesse goes, we use what we receive from Freo to bring in May and improve our draft position, packaging picks to get into the first round
4. Jesse stays and we take our current picks to the draft without bringing in any player of significance (apologies to KK and Preuss)
5. Jesse goes and everything we get from Freo goes to GC for May.
6. Jesse goes, we don't get May or anyone else and we just take the pick/s to the draft

I'd be happy enough with any of the first three options, the 4th would be unders from a pure trade perspective but probably still helps our 2019 flag aspirations, while the 5th option might be better from a trade value point of view but doesn't immediately improve our chances of winning a flag, which is why it's my least favourite option.

In each scenario, except for the last one, it doesn't really matter which picks we get from Freo as long as they allow us to make moves once the picks are ours. Therefore, I'm purposefully not indicating which picks I'd want in the scenarios, there are too many variables to know which picks allow which plans to unfold.
We ended up doing a watered down version of 2 and 3 (player and draft upgrade but not guaranteed best 22 and not first round)
Overall I think we've improved our chances of winning next year so I'm happy enough for now

El Gringo

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’m quietly optimistic Jason Taylor has a couple of likely to be available guns lined up for 23 and 28.

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I wake up in the morning, only to find we've been reamed.

I actually now feel sorry for Jesse. He stunted his growth playing for a basket case for the first couple of years, finally caught a glimpse of brilliance before copping one of the worst single years for a player ever.

Now he's playing for Lyon, who as we know loves kicking a score. If the pressure here was bad wait until those ferals tear him apart. The man is getting paid for sure, but I feel like his career might not be as great as it could be.

Sep 11, 2011
Anywhere else
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Miami Heat & Dolphins
2jc67t2.jpg

Freo: Josh, I'll trade you this delicious doorstop for your crummy old Danish
Mahoney: Done and done!
Most accurate portrayal of the trade and our trading in general the last 2 yrs. Gotta commend Bell & Freo they've played us, GC and Brissy really well and got max value for every trade they've done. Wish I could say the same for Mahoney, how the fk do we give up 2 1sts for Lever and get less back Hogan? Blows my mind :(

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
I don't believe at all that Jesse didn't want to be here; I reckon the club realised that Weid, Hogan and T'Mac were one forward too many decided to let the sulky (and expensive) one go in exchange for building a more balanced and hopefully better side.

I'm sure Jesse's content being one of the highest paid 23 year olds in the country as well.

Who cares who "wins the trade", all I care about is winning premierships, if this gets us closer then good on oldheaveho for doing sick trades, idgaf.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
cant believe how you campaigners are carrying on. Jesse has been through alot since hes been with us. He took a pay cut to get home so it shows just how much he actually wants to be around his family and what effect the last couple years has had on him. Id rather support a club who looks after its players than 1 who doesnt give a * surely other players start looking at our CULTURE and go * yeah i wouldnt mind being a part of that. bringing May in was obviously in the plans b4 we got Lever so would have Jesse eventually going home. We dont need ******* high picks anymore we arent on the bottom n its all we looked forward to was draft night. we need to pick out players that fill a role and get them in just like hawthorn have been doing for how long? alot of people in here need to realise the draft isnt what it used to be to us we are pushing for a flag baby i dont give a * if we give up our next 2 1st rounders for an obvious weakness next year. Its also good to see another indigenous player in the red and blue lining up next to lord nev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back