List Mgmt. 2018 Trade and Free Agency Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apparently there is some ripping KPFs deeper in this draft. Would not be surprised if we grab one.

We were all excited at first - bloody oath.

But there has been nothing particularly exciting Jesse for 3 years.

Yes he’s a loss, we put significant resources into him and I’d have liked to keep. But he evidently hadn’t bought into the club, he wanted out at some level whether mildly or violently, he wanted out.

We used his leaving to get in two players who excel in areas we’re deficient, albeit one with some injury issues, and we improved our draft position.

I think there’s a lot of demons fans who’d become very emotionally invested in Jesse, which is fine - good in fact, but it’s clouding a lot of people’s judgement about where things now sit.

We made it to a prelim last year; we’ve improved our best 22 objectively; we’ve improved our 2018 draft position.

On balance this is no worse than a nuetral result overall, I think it’s a good result.

For the record, I am disappointed that we’ve lost Jesse.

My rant was less to do with Jesse and more to do with the value that proven players go for in trade period.

The expectations for Jesse were too high after his first year, he's still tracking better at his age than almost any other key forward at his age. We paid through the nose on potential and we're not alone in that regard. Unproven key forwards go extremely high in the draft every season, very few start their careers as well as Jesse and most that are traded go for less than they were originally drafted for.

Schache, Boyd, McCarthy, Hogan etc. all went for less than they were drafted for. In fact if you traded most young kpf in the league the vast majority would go for less than they were drafted for. Not all have proven themselves, true, but key forwards reach their prime between 25-30 years old. It's s**t that you can pay an enormity to draft a player develop them for years and lose them for less right before they enter their best years.

It's not even like we got bent over the barrel. This is standard, this is what most people predicted. Of course on this board we were hoping to get a better deal through but that was a pipe dream in the end.

If we hadn't got him in the first place we would have certainly drafted Ollie Wines and still had pick 13 who could have gone to Brodie Grundy (who we were interested in at the time).

I haven’t bothered reading the melts over the last 10 pages. We are all entitled to our opinion but their is a reason why are writing on a Internet forum and JM is football ops manager of an afl club. We probably know 20% of the full story behind hogan.
Finally a post ITT that doesn’t make me want to stab myself in the eyes with a fork

This guy gets it

wonder where the club has the 2 guys from our VFL landing in the draft could they sneak through to our last picks or even the rookie draft.
is it me or is this year 1 of the only years where there isnt any players getting delisted that you go wow wouldnt mind him. i looked through the list and there isnt 1 player i went lets get him in.
Keiren Collins why didnt he come on?
could we add Barlow for a year if we still have a list spot wouldnt want to but cover if vineys foot fails and get a few injuries in the middle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wonder where the club has the 2 guys from our VFL landing in the draft could they sneak through to our last picks or even the rookie draft.
is it me or is this year 1 of the only years where there isnt any players getting delisted that you go wow wouldnt mind him. i looked through the list and there isnt 1 player i went lets get him in.
Keiren Collins why didnt he come on?
could we add Barlow for a year if we still have a list spot wouldnt want to but cover if vineys foot fails and get a few injuries in the middle
There is still a few teams to cut players I'm pretty sure. Collingwood, Freo, GWS, Richmond and West Coast haven't made any delistings as yet ... Although GWS and Richmond have traded enough off their list that they don't need to cut anyone.

There is still a few teams to cut players I'm pretty sure. Collingwood, Freo, GWS, Richmond and West Coast haven't made any delistings as yet ... Although GWS and Richmond have traded enough off their list that they don't need to cut anyone.
sweet cheers man btw is next years Free agents the worst theres been. only Coniglio on the list that id be into

Wait wat? There’s a person under 40 named Ian?
I met someone the other day who was talking about their 2 year old daughter ... it took me a few minutes, and more questions about the kid than I actually cared about, but I confirmed my worst fears ... they called her Mavis.

sweet cheers man btw is next years Free agents the worst theres been. only Coniglio on the list that id be into
I was just looking at that! What a terrible list. It really proves whats started to happen tho, incoming free agents are resigned well before they make the list, and if they won't recommit, they get traded out - May and Wingard for example.

Meanwhile, we've shed Hogan's apparent $900k salary for next year, we should be absolutely PRIMED to go after Coniglio and/or Kelly next year.

I met someone the other day who was talking about their 2 year old daughter ... it took me a few minutes, and more questions about the kid than I actually cared about, but I confirmed my worst fears ... they called her Mavis.
Haha, meh I don’t have an issue with that - sure she’ll be called May/Mae for short, which is lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back