List Mgmt. 2018 Trade/Draft/FA SuperMegaUltra Thread - The Early Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty good effort for a bloke with a plumbing company

"Now, this is the room with electricity. But it has too much electricity. So, I don't know, you might want to wear a hat"
AHkx84d.jpg

Lever's poor form is great for us with the Gov. A good intercept marker is brilliant, but not worth that price.

Gov is 25, 6 years at 800 doesn't sound so bad. Maybe 6 @ 700.
He just turned 26 actually, so will be 27 shortly after his next contract kicks in

Some posters must be assuming that we will match the offer and force an Adelaide style trade.

Except that Dangerfield salary offer was so low that Adelaide would have probably paid more. Ie wasn’t issue of money. so Geelong had no choice but to trade if they wanted to get danger for lower salary otherwise they would have had to offer something to blow Adelaide out of water money wise.

I don’t think this is the case for gaff. And gaff is no Dangerfield.

So Lycett has about 6 suitors and not the Adelaide clubs according to our favourite 6PR reporter.

If it was a choice between gaff+Lycett or gov, I’d keep gov. Gaff will be toughest one to replace (until we get Kelly and coniglio end of 2019 who I think is a RFA). Coniglio will be complicated by Dylan Shiel who if leaves, will free up money.

Port must be into Lycett given their current ruck situation. Lycett was a Port junior and theh were keen on him.

According to Haggers a decision on McGovern is close but if he agrees to another clubs deal we won't hear ....but if he re-signs WCE will be all over it .

Good that the decision time is early for the teams sake either way ....also for McGovern , agreeing to a deal early in the season in case of injury during the season .

It's Haggers but I want to believe !!

I personally would have signed him till 2022, he's that good
I guess it would be more a matter of how much to pay in out years. Needs to do more to justify big dollars and the club need to put serious $ on the table for long term cappung and trapping. From other signings, 2 years sounds about right or the contract becomes really convoluted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d probably cry is gov leaves tbh. Still remember 13 year old me thinking the world was over when Juddy left.

If Gov went to Freo i think he would cop it way more then when Juddy left. Gov strikes me as someone that wouldn't handle the booing as much as say Judd who loved it and made him play better.

I guess it would be more a matter of how much to pay in out years. Needs to do more to justify big dollars and the club need to put serious $ on the table for long term cappung and trapping. From other signings, 2 years sounds about right or the contract becomes really convoluted.
Oh i get it. Another 2 years with only a little pay increase. then in 18 months if he's developed give him 3 years on decent money.

But I'm an all in guy :)

If Gov went to Freo i think he would cop it way more then when Juddy left. Gov strikes me as someone that wouldn't handle the booing as much as say Judd who loved it and made him play better.
Mate. His day to day life would suck. He’d cop so much abuse by the trashy fans as well as the odd slur from the regular one.

Should be on a Tom Boyd kind of deal, already shown more consistency in his career.

Also if we fix our midfield we won’t be so reliant on his intercept marking
Intercept marking is a key component to complement a strong midfield. A strong midfield closes down the short options leading to long rushed kicks where an intercept mark can start the ball moving forward faster.

How do people still not get how free agency works?

He is a restricted free agent.

Meaning, we can force them to deal by matching any bid.

Thus, we either make off with some top draft picks from the saints (and they look like they will finish near the bottom)

Or

We retain Gaff

It's actually win/win for us.

But by all means, if I have missed the nuansces and intricacies of restricted free agency, please elaborate.

He is a restricted free agent.

Meaning, we can force them to deal by matching any bid.

Thus, we either make off with some top draft picks from the saints (and they look like they will finish near the bottom)

Or

We retain Gaff

It's actually win/win for us.

But by all means, if I have missed the nuansces and intricacies of restricted free agency, please elaborate.

My apologies, I thought you'd just ignored free agency altogether.

No one has ever matched a bid. Adelaide indicated they would match Geelong's bid so Geelong decided to deal rather than go down the free agency route. That's the only time that has occurred since free agency was introduced in 2012. And it was a little bit affected by the fact that Danger didn't move for a whopper deal, he moved home to Geelong who paid him less than if he'd signed with a St Kilda or a North Melbourne. Someone else posted that earlier.

If St Kilda use their war chest to make Gaff an offer he can't refuse then it'll likely be one that we can't afford to match. Especially since we're also trying to keep Gov. If we matched the offer and didn't get a trade done we'd have to shed players to keep him.

And St Kilda's draft position is a little limited, they don't have any picks in the first three rounds of 2018 other than their first rounder.

If he leaves, the best case scenario I think is that we don't match and get a top-band compo pick after our (nominal) first rounder, which if we make finals will be somewhere in the teens.

My apologies, I thought you'd just ignored free agency altogether.

No one has ever matched a bid. Adelaide indicated they would match Geelong's bid so Geelong decided to deal rather than go down the free agency route. That's the only time that has occurred since free agency was introduced in 2012. And it was a little bit affected by the fact that Danger didn't move for a whopper deal, he moved home to Geelong who paid him less than if he'd signed with a St Kilda or a North Melbourne. Someone else posted that earlier.

If St Kilda use their war chest to make Gaff an offer he can't refuse then it'll likely be one that we can't afford to match. Especially since we're also trying to keep Gov. If we matched the offer and didn't get a trade done we'd have to shed players to keep him.

And St Kilda's draft position is a little limited, they don't have any picks in the first three rounds of 2018 other than their first rounder.

If he leaves, the best case scenario I think is that we don't match and get a top-band compo pick after our (nominal) first rounder, which if we make finals will be somewhere in the teens.
Gaff is probably at his peak at the moment.
No doubt that he is worth more that a mid teens pick but what will be will be unfortunately.
Draft 2010 was a great Draft year for WCE. If the draft was redone today Gaff would be probably be top 2 behind only Luke Parker.
Gaff, Darling, Lycett and Jamie Cripps would all be in top 20 of 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back