List Mgmt. 2018 Trade/Draft/FA SuperMegaUltra Thread - The Early Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intercept marking is a key component to complement a strong midfield. A strong midfield closes down the short options leading to long rushed kicks where an intercept mark can start the ball moving forward faster.
For sure. But we won’t RELY on him as much if the ball isn’t getting back there.

My apologies, I thought you'd just ignored free agency altogether.

No one has ever matched a bid. Adelaide indicated they would match Geelong's bid so Geelong decided to deal rather than go down the free agency route. That's the only time that has occurred since free agency was introduced in 2012. And it was a little bit affected by the fact that Danger didn't move for a whopper deal, he moved home to Geelong who paid him less than if he'd signed with a St Kilda or a North Melbourne. Someone else posted that earlier.

If St Kilda use their war chest to make Gaff an offer he can't refuse then it'll likely be one that we can't afford to match. Especially since we're also trying to keep Gov. If we matched the offer and didn't get a trade done we'd have to shed players to keep him.

And St Kilda's draft position is a little limited, they don't have any picks in the first three rounds of 2018 other than their first rounder.

If he leaves, the best case scenario I think is that we don't match and get a top-band compo pick after our (nominal) first rounder, which if we make finals will be somewhere in the teens.
How many players of Gov's profile and for that matter, Gaff's, have sought to leave clubs via free agency? Dangerfield is the obvious case and a deal was done. I can't think of any others. Carlisle might be another but he was nearly a fringe player when he left and not getting on with the club/coach.

If either of them, or worst case scenario, both, choose to leave, I think we should match or threaten to match the bids so at least we get some sort of adequate compensation. A pick in the teens doesn't cut it for AA players at their peak which the club has developed from their youth. We absolutely have to get something back for them as a good business decision. Heck, Ross Lyon got pick 2 for Lachie Weller.

How many players of Gov's profile and for that matter, Gaff's, have sought to leave clubs via free agency? Dangerfield is the obvious case and a deal was done. I can't think of any others. Carlisle might be another but he was nearly a fringe player when he left and not getting on with the club/coach.

There was a guy named Franklin in 2013. Others who've gotten first round or end of first round compo are Goddard, Frawley, Rockliff and Motlop.

Carlisle was a trade.

There was a guy named Franklin in 2013. Others who've gotten first round or end of first round compo are Goddard, Frawley, Rockliff and Motlop.

Carlisle was a trade.
Goddard was 30 ish?, and St Kilda were offloading a lot of their good players for some strange reason. Franklin is the obvious example but something was going on behind the scene there. All the other players you've named are second tier lesser lights.

For sure. But we won’t RELY on him as much if the ball isn’t getting back there.
Opposite, if the midfield does it's job you rely on players down the line who read the play and can mark more (and move it on quickly and effectively). The turnovers don't come in the midfield, the turnovers come down the field from the forced mistakes caused by the midfield.

If you have a weak midfield you rely on players down the line who can contain opposition.

McGovern complements good midfields, Mackenzie compliments bad midfields.

Goddard was 30 ish?, and St Kilda were offloading a lot of their good players for some strange reason. Franklin is the obvious example but something was going on behind the scene there. All the other players you've named are second tier lesser lights.

Goddard was 27, one year older than Gaff will be in this free agency period.

Opposite, if the midfield does it's job you rely on players down the line who read the play and can mark more (and move it on quickly and effectively). The turnovers don't come in the midfield, the turnovers come down the field from the forced mistakes caused by the midfield.

If you have a weak midfield you rely on players down the line who can contain opposition.

McGovern complements good midfields, Mackenzie compliments bad midfields.
So you’re saying our reliance on McGovern increases as the number of opposition i50s decreases...

What happens if Gov and Gaff both leave us for huge contracts and we have no free agents coming in? Two first round picks after our nominal first round pick?
The following is very vague - we might end up getting a very weird result from this so called formula especially if they both went for deals similar to those reported in the media.

A club that has a net loss of players transferring to/from other clubs as free agents in one transfer period is entitled to compensation via National Draft picks allocated by the AFL.

The compensation formula produces a points rating for players based on:

1. The new contract of the free agent;
2. The age of the free agent.

Draft picks are allocated to clubs based on the net total points for free agents lost and gained during the transfer period.

Draft picks will be allocated to one of five places:

• 1st round
• end of 1st round
• 2nd round
• end of 2nd round
• 3rd round

In applying the formula, an expert committee reviews the formula outcomes. The committee has the power to recommend alternative outcomes to GM – Football Operations where the formula produces a materially anomalous result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay, so Goddard. But as I said St Kilda were cleaning out players. One, or two, or even three players proves my point, there have not been many high profile players still wanted by their club who have moved.

Good, I hope they both stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back