List Mgmt. 2018 Trade & Draft Review

Are you happy with our trade and draft outcome?

• Yes

Votes: 81 63.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 16.4%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 26 20.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

wilbur_15

All Australian
Nov 22, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-12-10/draft-night-drama-tension-builds-as-saints-try-to-do-a-deal

How frikken amateur do the Saints look in that video?? Can't believe they let it out. Had basically no plans for possible scenarios throughout the first round or two. Debating whether Caldwell is worth pick 11 on the night?? Really? How the hell have you not run through that already?

Also, Reid from the Crows exposed as a flog. Offering to trade this years' pick 16 + 69 for pick ~6 next year and 36 this year. Can't believe the guy on the phone didn't laugh it off straight away but the next guy literally did.

Basically just affirms how amateurish AFL clubs are and how when I look at a number of apparently idiotic setups Port have, I'm inclined to believe it's the result of idiots rather than me not having the detail on some supposed complex strategy.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-12-10/draft-night-drama-tension-builds-as-saints-try-to-do-a-deal

How frikken amateur do the Saints look in that video?? Can't believe they let it out. Had basically no plans for possible scenarios throughout the first round or two. Debating whether Caldwell is worth pick 11 on the night?? Really? How the hell have you not run through that already?

Also, Reid from the Crows exposed as a flog. Offering to trade this years' pick 16 + 69 for pick ~6 next year and 36 this year. Can't believe the guy on the phone didn't laugh it off straight away but the next guy literally did.

Basically just affirms how amateurish AFL clubs are and how when I look at a number of apparently idiotic setups Port have, I'm inclined to believe it's the result of idiots rather than me not having the detail on some supposed complex strategy.
Not sure if mentioned but here is the Carlton one too that involves us.
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-12-06/must-see-exclusive-access-as-the-carlton-draft-deal-goes-down

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I agree. How clueless and unprepared did the Saints look compared to the Blues for example.

Reid - what a knob too with what he offered.

It wasn't that their ideas were bad...it was just that they weren't prepared. They had been talking the talk for over a month and decided to wing it on the night. Strange. They also wanted to trade with Port for a player who wasn't going to be available at the pick (Caldwell). Very strange.

It wasn't that their ideas were bad...it was just that they weren't prepared. They had been talking the talk for over a month and decided to wing it on the night. Strange. They also wanted to trade with Port for a player who wasn't going to be available at the pick (Caldwell). Very strange.

They hire senior coaches the same way haha

Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Yep they looked extremly compared to Carlton who looked so organised and knew what they wanted from the start.

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
We were 100% taking Caldwell if he was there.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
I find it interesting that Saints offered Crows a future first swap plus a pick in 30s which was knocked back for Carltons future first.

I would put Carlton and St Kilda in the same bracket next year.
Yeah looking at that video, the Crows did a horrible trade with Carlton.

The Crows on the table had

StK's 2019 1st and Pick 36

Or

Carlton's 2019 1st.

There's absolutely no world in which the Carlton offer is better.

If I was a Crows fan I'd be pretty livid with that.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The other thing that stands out in the videos is the ridiculous deals clubs were trying for. The deal the Saints offered us feels poor. The deal the Crows offered the Saints was purely laughable. The Crows in ability to understand the only scenario within which Carlton were going to trade was baffling.

I just don't understand how some of those trades were even offered based on the evidence and draft pick values established in the trade period. If some of those deals were proposed in the trade period, people would've laughed the offerees out of the room.

I like that we rejected the Saints offer, and that we didn't get sucked into the Carlton swap given how badly we may go this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jonts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
Yeah looking at that video, the Crows did a horrible trade with Carlton.

The Crows on the table had

StK's 2019 1st and Pick 36

Or

Carlton's 2019 1st.

There's absolutely no world in which the Carlton offer is better.

If I was a Crows fan I'd be pretty livid with that.
my take was that st Kilda offered a swap of 1sts for 19 but Adelaide wanted a swap of firsts and 36 for 19 that's why the saints said no

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
my take was that st Kilda offered a swap of 1sts for 19 but Adelaide wanted a swap of firsts and 36 for 19 that's why the saints said no
No, the Crows wanted

Pick 19 + 69

For

Future 1st and Pick 38

Which is a crazy deal

Saints were prepared to offer a Future 1st swap, with 38 to get the deal over the line.

Adelaide denied that almost immediately, and then proceeded to do the shittier deal.

Jonts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
No, the Crows wanted

Pick 19 + 69

For

Future 1st and Pick 38

Which is a crazy deal

Saints were prepared to offer a Future 1st swap, with 38 to get the deal over the line.

Adelaide denied that almost immediately, and then proceeded to do the shittier deal.
what audio do you think 36 was a part of their offer?

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
The other thing that stands out in the videos is the ridiculous deals clubs were trying for. The deal the Saints offered us feels poor. The deal the Crows offered the Saints was purely laughable. The Crows in ability to understand the only scenario within which Carlton were going to trade was baffling.

I just don't understand how some of those trades were even offered based on the evidence and draft pick values established in the trade period. If some of those deals were proposed in the trade period, people would've laughed the offerees out of the room.

I like that we rejected the Saints offer, and that we didn't get sucked into the Carlton swap given how badly we may go this year.
Based on recent history I reckon the Crows know what they're doing when trading with Carlton.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I find it interesting that Saints offered Crows a future first swap plus a pick in 30s which was knocked back for Carltons future first.

I would put Carlton and St Kilda in the same bracket next year.
The best bit about that is it makes it more likely we get to laugh at the Crows next year.

Now we have 4 options.

1. Carlton do better than expected making the deal look bad

2. Stocker turns out to be a gun

3. The Crows do worse than expected making the deal look bad

4. The Saints finish around the same or worse than Carlton making knocking back their offer look stupid.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2009
Latvia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
No, the Crows wanted

Pick 19 + 69

For

Future 1st and Pick 38

Which is a crazy deal

Reid tired to screw them for that deal hence the quote by the one of the Saints list managers "He's kidding himself"

Reid tired to screw them for that deal hence the quote by the one of the Saints list managers "He's kidding himself"

The fact he probably had Carlton in the back pocket probably means he could go wild and see what fell though.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Based on recent history I reckon the Crows know what they're doing when trading with Carlton.

Didn't watch what is being discussed but I suspect the tingles v blue baggers scenario is not too dissimilar to Clarko v us.

He has come out well on top in every deal so far, and would probably still have the occasional giggle about Nathan Lonie, and regardless of the reasons why Port traded Chad Wingard I have no doubt he will get him firing on all cylinders again.

GreyPower

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2014
PAFC
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I read that Duursma came third in his junior club's (Gippsland Power I think) B & F.

Would be interesting to know who came 1st & 2nd (I have googled it, without success).

I assume if he played across half back, he would lose votes to midfelders.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
I read that Duursma came third in his junior club's (Gippsland Power I think) B & F.

Would be interesting to know who came 1st & 2nd (I have googled it, without success).

I assume if he played across half back, he would lose votes to midfelders.

https://taccup.com.au/2018-tac-cup-bf-winners/

GIPPSLAND POWER

1. Noah Gown
  2. Tye Hourigan
  3. Xavier Duursma
Gown was a major contributor in Gippsland’s terrific season inside 50, emerging rapidly as a key forward towards the end of the season and recently being drafted to Essendon. The Warragul (Gippsland League) top-ager booted 22 goals in his last eight TAC Cup appearances, finishing with 31 majors in 18 matches and appearing in the Power’s best players on 13 occasions.

Back