List Mgmt. 2018 Trade & Draft Review

Are you happy with our trade and draft outcome?

• Yes

Votes: 81 63.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 16.4%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 26 20.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
PORT ADELAIDE

Sam Mayes join the club during trade period in a deal that helped the Power secure Pick 5, which was used on 2019 Rising Star contender Connor Rozee. Mayes hasn’t played at AFL level this year, but is averaging 27.2 and 5.2 clearances in the SANFL for the Port Adelaide Magpies. He is banging down the door, but Port Adelaide’s good start has made it hard for the former Lion to make the side. Mayes certainly adds some depth to the Power list, so the club wouldn’t be fazed by his lack of AFL time, given their young players who performed exceptionally well this season. Their big addition has been Ryan Burton, with the defender averaging 22.3 disposals in his six appearances. His composure under pressure has been outstanding, beginning the year with a bang as he collected 26 disposals on Power debut against Melbourne.

Grade: B

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/f8ebd82e016efca9e3375f2794701a46

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
PORT ADELAIDE

Sam Mayes join the club during trade period in a deal that helped the Power secure Pick 5, which was used on 2019 Rising Star contender Connor Rozee. Mayes hasn’t played at AFL level this year, but is averaging 27.2 and 5.2 clearances in the SANFL for the Port Adelaide Magpies. He is banging down the door, but Port Adelaide’s good start has made it hard for the former Lion to make the side. Mayes certainly adds some depth to the Power list, so the club wouldn’t be fazed by his lack of AFL time, given their young players who performed exceptionally well this season. Their big addition has been Ryan Burton, with the defender averaging 22.3 disposals in his six appearances. His composure under pressure has been outstanding, beginning the year with a bang as he collected 26 disposals on Power debut against Melbourne.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/f8ebd82e016efca9e3375f2794701a46

Wank of an article that handed Geelong an A for bringing in Rohan

Yes he has been an excellent bargain pickup for Geelong but there was about 10 better players traded than him.

PORT ADELAIDE

um.. Scott Lycett anyone?

It doesn't include Free Agents just players who swapped via trades, see Richmond getting N/A for Lynch and Stack.
What a dumb arbitrary line. They're all new recruits coming from new clubs.

"WHO IS THE BEST NEW RECRUIT OUT OF BROWN HAIRED LEFT HANDED GUYS WITH FIRST NAME STARTING WITH J"

I did this summary on the weekend of our trade in 2018 that affected our selections as I wanted to be clear what we did to get Rozee and Duursma. Was going to put this in the old 2018 thread from October last year but will put it here for now.

Reckon it will be about end of 2022 before we know exactly how far ahead or behind we are. So far its looking pretty good.

This is how our picks moved with compo picks being allocated by the AFL for free agents.

1556526808627.png

Then we did these trades that invoked getting picks 5 and 15 which eventually became 5 and 18 after academy bids.

We also traded Jack Hombsch to the Gold Coast for 2019 4th Rd pick (Adelaide)

1556523940465.png

After draft this is where the picks went.

Picks 48 and 49 were effectively eliminated with North using them to bid for their NGA player Tarryn Thomas at pick 8. We can always speculate what picks 48 and 49 would have been if they weren't eliminated.

We gave up 3 players + 4 x 2018 picks + our 2019 3rd Rd pick for 2 players + 2 x 2018 picks + 2 x 4th Rd 2019 picks.

1556524146946.png

I have attached a spreadsheet I did back in November after the draft to see how picks were eliminated and re classified after bids as well as those that were involved in live training.

Attachments

• 2018 draft disected.xlsx
    32.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Mar 24, 2004
Ljubljana, Slovenia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Right now.... even on the current contribution to the team, I wouldn't trade back Burton and Duursma for Wingard yet alone future contribution.

To get Rozee we gave up Polec+Pittard+Picks 23+30+49+35 and we got Mayes thrown in as well.

Perhaps Mayes and Pittard are equivalent (both fringe players who have shown things on occasion). Polec+23,30,49,35 for Rozee ? I think the Wingard trade shows how 2, or 3, really good players can outweigh one REALLY good player, and on the other-hand those 2nd round picks are not that hard to come by in the mix of trades. I think is really the one to watch over the years. The issue with picks is the extent to which we would have used them anyway but you can always trade them out for future picks and keep the value on your list in that way.

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What a dumb arbitrary line. They're all new recruits coming from new clubs.

"WHO IS THE BEST NEW RECRUIT OUT OF BROWN HAIRED LEFT HANDED GUYS WITH FIRST NAME STARTING WITH J"
Hoo I think I know this one ...
Jack Watts?

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Right now.... even on the current contribution to the team, I wouldn't trade back Burton and Duursma for Wingard yet alone future contribution.

To get Rozee we gave up Polec+Pittard+Picks 23+30+49+35 and we got Mayes thrown in as well.

Perhaps Mayes and Pittard are equivalent (both fringe players who have shown things on occasion). Polec+23,30,49,35 for Rozee ? I think the Wingard trade shows how 2, or 3, really good players can outweigh one REALLY good player, and on the other-hand those 2nd round picks are not that hard to come by in the mix of trades. I think is really the one to watch over the years. The issue with picks is the extent to which we would have used them anyway but you can always trade them out for future picks and keep the value on your list in that way.
Yeah agree but real top shelf individuals are also needed and hard to come by.
If he ends up anywhere near the potential he is showing atm then we wouldn't want to that trade as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
I did this summary on the weekend of our trade in 2018 that affected our selections as I wanted to be clear what we did to get Rozee and Duursma. Was going to put this in the old 2018 thread from October last year but will put it here for now.

Reckon it will be about end of 2022 before we know exactly how far ahead or behind we are. So far its looking pretty good.

This is how our picks moved with compo picks being allocated by the AFL for free agents.

View attachment 664438

Then we did these trades that invoked getting picks 5 and 15 which eventually became 5 and 18 after academy bids.

We also traded Jack Hombsch to the Gold Coast for 2019 4th Rd pick (Adelaide)

View attachment 664423

After draft this is where the picks went.

Picks 48 and 49 were effectively eliminated with North using them to bid for their NGA player Tarryn Thomas at pick 8. We can always speculate what picks 48 and 49 would have been if they weren't eliminated.

We gave up 3 players + 4 x 2018 picks + our 2019 3rd Rd pick for 2 players + 2 x 2018 picks + 2 x 4th Rd 2019 picks.

View attachment 664427

I have attached a spreadsheet I did back in November after the draft to see how picks were eliminated and re classified after bids as well as those that were involved in live training.
Polec and Wingard trades are for unders. Mayes trade is for overs. Freo's #6 trade is debatable.

Overall looks unders, even if not by much:
Out: Wingard, Polec, Pittard, 5 picks (23, 30, 48, 49, 2019 3rd)
In: Burton, Mayes, 4 picks (5, 18, 2x 2019 4th)

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
J
Polec and Wingard trades are for unders. Mayes trade is for overs. Freo's #6 trade is debatable.

Overall looks unders, even if not by much:
Out: Wingard, Polec, Pittard, 5 picks (23, 30, 48, 49, 2019 3rd)
In: Burton, Mayes, 4 picks (5, 18, 2x 2019 4th)
In my opinion, invigorating and improving the culture and excitement of the playing group are added intangibles that can’t be quantified by looking at what we did or didn’t give up.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
J

In my opinion, invigorating and improving the culture and excitement of the playing group are added intangibles that can’t be quantified by looking at what we did or didn’t give up.
You are right. I am not melting. We had a plan and went for it. The final result shows that the plan was sound. I am OK with it.

I am just pointing out that there is room for improvement here. We could do better at the trading table.

Jan 14, 2008
Salisbury, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Man City, NY Jets
Wank of an article that handed Geelong an A for bringing in Rohan

Yes he has been an excellent bargain pickup for Geelong but there was about 10 better players traded than him.
... would have loved him at Port and could you imagine him and Rozee in the forward 50 this year, waxing together...

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
... would have loved him at Port and could you imagine him and Rozee in the forward 50 this year, waxing together...
Yep with the hinkley connection thought we would of had a crack pick 70 is a bargain for sure. But i think maybe being at home with family has helped him alot after what he has been through. All the best to him.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yep with the hinkley connection thought we would of had a crack pick 70 is a bargain for sure. But i think maybe being at home with family has helped him alot after what he has been through. All the best to him.

I think had we gone for Rohan last year, I like many would've been pretty sceptical even at a low pick. Clearly talented, but didn't appear all that natural as the crumbing half forward the Swans used him as and never had the tank or perhaps the nous for the midfield. But gosh he has been outstanding this year, is repaying the confidence Geelong had in him in spades and is showing how dangerous an aerial threat he is capable of.

Knightmare's review of our 2018 draft

Port Adelaide
2018 Draft Picks: 5 (Connor Rozee), 12 (Zak Butters), 18 (Xavier Duursma), 73 (Riley Grundy), 76 (Boyd Woodcock)

Trades: N/A

Grade then: B

Grade now: A+

Rationale: Connor Rozee has far exceeded expectation to be one of the best performed so far from last year's crop with only Sam Walsh having a stronger first season. Zak Butters and Xavier Duursma are further successful selections playing 19 and 20 games respectively and looking like long-term core pieces.

Late selections Riley Grundy and Boyd Woodcock are not as advanced. Grundy struggled in the SANFL with just one game where he secured 10 or more disposals in defence while Woodcock was solid but will need to continue improving if he is to earn senior opportunities.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/27936675/re-ranking-every-club-2018-afl-draft-haul

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Knightmare's review of our 2018 draft

Port Adelaide
2018 Draft Picks: 5 (Connor Rozee), 12 (Zak Butters), 18 (Xavier Duursma), 73 (Riley Grundy), 76 (Boyd Woodcock)

Trades: N/A

Grade then: B

Grade now: A+

Rationale: Connor Rozee has far exceeded expectation to be one of the best performed so far from last year's crop with only Sam Walsh having a stronger first season. Zak Butters and Xavier Duursma are further successful selections playing 19 and 20 games respectively and looking like long-term core pieces.

Late selections Riley Grundy and Boyd Woodcock are not as advanced. Grundy struggled in the SANFL with just one game where he secured 10 or more disposals in defence while Woodcock was solid but will need to continue improving if he is to earn senior opportunities.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/27936675/re-ranking-every-club-2018-afl-draft-haul
B then, B- now IMO. With 3 talls out not grabbing a likely rather than speculative tall doesn't look any better in hindsight. Going the sure small, even if the quality of our youngsters may have them individually fine, but didn't and doesn't address our list issues.

B then, B- now IMO. With 3 talls out not grabbing a likely rather than speculative tall doesn't look any better in hindsight. Going the sure small, even if the quality of our youngsters may have them individually fine, but didn't and doesn't address our list issues.

Carn.

We picked three guys that are just about guaranteed to be 200 gamers, all with star potential.

We shot the lights out in last year's draft, no matter what positional deficiencies remain.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What are you talking about? What three talls out? This is revisiting the 2018 draft, not the 2019 trade period!

Back