List Mgmt. 2018 Trade, Free Agency & Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murphy like Higgins is the ultimate professional as well. Think of how much Higgins has contributed to our training standards since he has arrived.

I think murphy’s mindset would completely change playing here as well, too long has been at an unsuccessful club with a terrible cultural.

Higgins is a perfect example of how much a change can do you wonders irrespective of age

Murphy would be more of a Dal Santo signing than a Higgins signing IMO. I'm not adverse to it but for me it requires Waite and Thompson to retire and a genuine A-grade midfielder already added to our list.

No thanks to Murphy.

Intrigued by the interest in him.

Old, injury prone and brings no history of club success to impart. Would only consider if we're a gnat's schlong from the big dance by year's end and need a tiny % improvement in depth to tip the balance.

And always bang my head when people say "but free agents don't cost anything". Yes they bloody do. In $ of course but in opportunity cost of list spots.

Take in a free agent for the sake of it and we don't get the opportunity to give a chance to a Larkey or Mountford ie speculative kid who just might have a future.

A couple of value picks that would be worth considering from Geelong would be:

Jordan Cunico - 185cm 85kg Mid/wingman who is starting to get a bit of game time. He has played around 10-15 games now and is starting to have an impact. Has some serious wheels and his foot skills are really decent.

Quinton Narkle - 181cm 80kgMid/Half forward - Returned this year after an ACL, doesn't have a contract for next year. Has been solid for the cats in the VFL. Been in the bests multiple times this year and is inching closer to a debut. Consistently getting on the scoreboard and is tough around the contest. Much like our own Kyron Hayden. I was big on getting him in his draft year.

Intrigued by the interest in him.

Old, injury prone and brings no history of club success to impart. Would only consider if we're a gnat's schlong from the big dance by year's end and need a tiny % improvement in depth to tip the balance.

And always bang my head when people say "but free agents don't cost anything". Yes they bloody do. In $ of course but in opportunity cost of list spots.

Take in a free agent for the sake of it and we don't get the opportunity to give a chance to a Larkey or Mountford ie speculative kid who just might have a future.

I do agree here... Murphy seems to be strictly a mid. He's not really shown any ability to go forward or back for a quarter and have impact which then reduces valuable midfield exposure some of our next rung could be getting. Yes, he likely keeps Ziebell forward but it then means blokes like Ahern, Simpkin and LDU have a harder look in and probably means we'd have to move on somebody like Dumont this year.

I'm all for adding class to our midfield but I really think the early signs shown by Ahern shows we're starting to get some midfield depth now. If we can add Gaff (or somebody similar whether by trade or FA) and if we are seriously in the hunt to add Kelly next season then we don't have a need for somebody like Murphy.

Hard to say the first part when there's been little to no progress on the uncontracted list.

We'll have to move 5 out for the points mate.

I suspect we will trade for 1 (Gaff?) or 2 (Murphy?), up grade one (Zurhaar) and draft two others (Thomas & Scott)

One to three rookies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of value picks that would be worth considering from Geelong would be:

Jordan Cunico - 185cm 85kg Mid/wingman who is starting to get a bit of game time. He has played around 10-15 games now and is starting to have an impact. Has some serious wheels and his foot skills are really decent.

Quinton Narkle - 181cm 80kgMid/Half forward - Returned this year after an ACL, doesn't have a contract for next year. Has been solid for the cats in the VFL. Been in the bests multiple times this year and is inching closer to a debut. Consistently getting on the scoreboard and is tough around the contest. Much like our own Kyron Hayden. I was big on getting him in his draft year.
In for Narkle...

Nick name- *.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Murphy would be a good get.

In the rookie draft.

He has hardly been injury prone across the course of his career.

Has only played less than 15 games in a season 3 times since being drafted in 2005. Those years being 2006, 2016 & 2018.

His body has held up bloody well considering he has been the primary midfielder for a terrible club for 12 years of his career.

As I mentioned in a previous post, he would benefit significantly by not having the extra burden of Carlton's midfield woes resting on his shoulders.

He has hardly been injury prone across the course of his career.

Has only played less than 15 games in a season 3 times since being drafted in 2005. Those years being 2006, 2016 & 2018.

His body has held up bloody well considering he has been the primary midfielder for a terrible club for 12 years of his career.

As I mentioned in a previous post, he would benefit significantly by not having the extra burden of Carlton's midfield woes resting on his shoulders.

That may be the case, but he's 30, 31 by the time he gets to us and has a debilitating foot issue.

Only if the cost was very, very low would I entertain the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back