List Mgmt. 2018 Trade, Free Agency & Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it depends on how the club has presented the sales pitch. If we are going with a flag tilt in 2020 I can see Goldstein being a part of that.

Let's say the narrative was " Look we'll have one of the top palm ruckman, we'll have arguably the best player in the comp who has already agreed to come home, one of the top extractors in the comp, gun bookends, and a number of very promising youngsters coming into their prime in Ahern, Simpkin, LDU, etc".

Goldy staying may not be THE factor, but at this point in time it may help in selling the dream.

Food for thought, but purely supposition of course

I'm excited!!!

He did, but he’s been good this year. And Pruess hasn’t exactly laid down the gauntlet this year. He’s been solid, but I expected better.
Yep and yep. Preuss has not been horrible, but he hasn't taken the VFL by storm. Well tbf he has been pretty good for pretty much the whole year, b ut as you say, Goldenstien has seemed to get better by the week.

Interesting one and wondering what all your opinions are on the bloke - Hugh Goddard, out of contract and no new deal yet.

Had a stack of injury issues (finally back this weekend), but reckon with Tarrant, Daw, McKay, EVW and Thompson (just for next year) in front of him, he'd have time and space to get his body right ala Ahern.

If we decide Nielsen and/or Durdin should be moved on and a range of others are traded, worth a look with the spare picks we recieve?

Was taken at 21, injury plus form stuff over four years, worth maybe somewhere between pick 35 - 50? Thoughts?
Going to the Hawks I’m told

Preussys start was so poor that he was in strife early on from not playing much footy in the 1s.
Goldi hit form a few weeks into the season and has been pretty good for mine. Top 5 ruck in the comp good.

Brayden didn’t really get going until the mid way point of the year when he put together some solid games of footy.

The one thing Brad has been consistent on during his tenure at coach is those deserving of a game after performing in the VFL don’t get rewarded with a game in the seniors in place of injured/out of form regulars - but rather are acknowledged for their good form by being named as an Emergency. That’s the aspiration for our list :/ make that squad * yeah!
Shits me to death.

Just spent the better half of an hour going through the teams annouced Thursday night and it took until the Gold Coast game in round 16 for Preuss to be named as an emergency.

He has the right to be frustrated but most of that is on him.

Considering how flat footed weve been and our lack of midfield run and spead, playing he and Todd in the same side is madness.

Goldstein's return to form and Daw finally playing consistent good football has changed the landscape for Preussy.

I could easily see him playing alongside Goldy in a side that includes Kelly, Gaff & Polec in the midfield, but the odds of that have shrunk with the emergence of Majak.

However, there's no way I would trade him if it didn't return a quality pick or a starting 22 player. If Preuss went elsewhere, and Goldy went down with injury, then our balance would be way out of whack, because Xerri won't be ready for a while..

Goldstein's return to form and Daw finally playing consistent good football has changed the landscape for Preussy.

I could easily see him playing alongside Goldy in a side that includes Kelly, Gaff & Polec in the midfield, but the odds of that have shrunk with the emergence of Majak.

However, there's no way I would trade him if it didn't return a quality pick or a starting 22 player. If Preuss went elsewhere, and Goldy went down with injury, then our balance would be way out of whack, because Xerri won't be ready for a while..

It just means maj would have to play full time ruck and then our plethora of KPD play in his role.

It’s an interesting question because you could ultimately say then if Preuss goes does that mean someone like a durdin/Thompson/nieslen survive an extra year.

Ultimately I don’t think Preuss has a spot with us in the ones. Whilst he is physically ready in size, ruckman have to be elite runners now with the way the game is played and I just don’t see him ever getting to that level. He also has a bit of the Kennedys around these parts yes he’s aggressive but he ultimately lacks flexibility that would see him thrive in our side.

Comparatively our KPP
Brown has chopped out in the ruck previously - thank Christ he doesn’t anymore
Waite - ruck or on a wing - athletically gifted
Tarrant - can play back or forward
Daw - forward ruck down back
Durdin - played in the ruck against freo

Ffs zurhaar has even had more time in the ruck in the 1s than Preuss this year.

He is surplus and we should palm him off while we’ve got currency in him

I can agree with a lot of your logic, but that last sentence is such a supercoach thing to state.

The second best ruckman on a list is not "surplus", it is quality back up.

I can agree with a lot of your logic, but that last sentence is such a supercoach thing to state.

The second best ruckman on a list is not "surplus", it is quality back up.

Should have elaborated why have four ruckman when you only play 1 and have a capable backup in daw,

We’ve too many talls on our list and lack midfield depth.

He is surplus as far as I see

Should have elaborated why have four ruckman when you only play 1 and have a capable backup in daw,

We’ve too many talls on our list and lack midfield depth.

He is surplus as far as I see

We have two ready to go AFL ruckmen, one utility/part time ruckman, and a developing ruckman that is still at least 2 years away from playing AFL.

This is not a surplus factor, and considering Goldstein is 31 next year, it represents a healthy ruck list profile.

If Preuss is surplus, then what is he surplus for by way of a trade? Another flanker? No. Another KPP? No. Will he get us a quality midfielder as a sole trade? No.

What would we likely bring on to the list with a draft pick trade for Preuss? Ironically, it could very well end up being another young ruckman.

What if we get rid of Preuss and Xerri doesn't come on? We will be in a world of s**t in 2-4 years time.

Last edited:
We have two ready to go AFL ruckmen, one utility/part time ruckman, and a developing ruckman that is still at least 2 years away from playing AFL.

This is not a surplus factor, and considering Goldstein is 31 next year, it represents a healthy ruck list profile.

If Preuss is surplus, then what is he surplus for by way of a trade? Another flanker? No. Another KPP? No. Will he get us a quality midfielder as a sole trade? No.

What would we likely bring on to the list with a draft pick trade for Preuss? Ironically, it could very well end up being another young ruckman.

What if we get rid of Preuss and Xerri doesn't come on? We will be in a world of s**t in 2-4 years time.

Lol

You are ******* dreaming of you think both Goldy and Preuss will be on our list next season.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hickey and Longer both appear to be on the outer at St Kilda and either would make a handy back-up option if Preuss did ask to leave. I know we were interested in Hickey when he was traded too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hickey and Longer both appear to be on the outer at St Kilda and either would make a handy back-up option if Preuss did ask to leave. I know we were interested in Hickey when he was traded too.

We'd still have to come out of that arrangement with something in the way of surplus.

It just means maj would have to play full time ruck and then our plethora of KPD play in his role.

It’s an interesting question because you could ultimately say then if Preuss goes does that mean someone like a durdin/Thompson/nieslen survive an extra year.

Ultimately I don’t think Preuss has a spot with us in the ones. Whilst he is physically ready in size, ruckman have to be elite runners now with the way the game is played and I just don’t see him ever getting to that level. He also has a bit of the Kennedys around these parts yes he’s aggressive but he ultimately lacks flexibility that would see him thrive in our side.

Comparatively our KPP
Brown has chopped out in the ruck previously - thank Christ he doesn’t anymore
Waite - ruck or on a wing - athletically gifted
Tarrant - can play back or forward
Daw - forward ruck down back
Durdin - played in the ruck against freo

Ffs zurhaar has even had more time in the ruck in the 1s than Preuss this year.

I would tend to agree. Like most I was megafrustrated with Goldy last year and would have liked to see Preuss play more and Goldy traded at season end. Goldstein has really turned it around and is playing really well now. For me he is a far better ruckman than Preuss. He has the tank to run all day and his disposal by hand and foot is excellent, almost like another midfielder in this regard. He's even taking contested marks now is a decent goalkicker too. He probably has 3 decent seasons left. I doubt Preuss will ever get to his level and will be exposed by hard running ruckman. He would have been a great ruckman in the 90's but he isn't suited to the modern game. I think we have enough back up with Maj, Benny McKay and Xeri. Xeri looks promising and by the time Goldy retires he may be ready to take over. If we can get a 2nd rounder for Preuss I would take it.

We'd still have to come out of that arrangement with something in the way of surplus.

Agree, but I do think if Preuss got an offer from somewhere like GWS or West Coast with a promise of being first ruck next year, we'd work with him to make it happen.

...He would have been a great ruckman in the 90's but he isn't suited to the modern game. I think we have enough back up with Maj, Benny McKay and Xeri. Xeri looks promising and by the time Goldy retires he may be ready to take over. If we can get a 2nd rounder for Preuss I would take it.
Mumford disagrees with this..

I would tend to agree. Like most I was megafrustrated with Goldy last year and would have liked to see Preuss play more and Goldy traded at season end. Goldstein has really turned it around and is playing really well now. For me he is a far better ruckman than Preuss. He has the tank to run all day and his disposal by hand and foot is excellent, almost like another midfielder in this regard. He's even taking contested marks now is a decent goalkicker too. He probably has 3 decent seasons left. I doubt Preuss will ever get to his level and will be exposed by hard running ruckman. He would have been a great ruckman in the 90's but he isn't suited to the modern game. I think we have enough back up with Maj, Benny McKay and Xeri. Xeri looks promising and by the time Goldy retires he may be ready to take over. If we can get a 2nd rounder for Preuss I would take it.

Good analysis (except we disagree with the draft pick).

Preuss looks better when the game slows down, which basically accounts to a side having the midfield brigade that is on top in most games.

Good analysis (except we disagree with the draft pick).

Preuss looks better when the game slows down, which basically accounts to a side having the midfield brigade that is on top in most games.
Goldy looks good when our midfield gets on top too. Gets involved in possession chains and doesn't turn it over very often. With Preuss, its low possession numbers and hacked kicks out of packs. Maybe he will improve in that respect. He's still young. Contested marking could improve too, doesn't take that many for his size. If Preuss does go I will feel a tinge of regret and could see him going on to be one of the best in the comp. Jesus....I've really turned full circle there haven't I? Keep both maybe? Trouble is Preuss will demand a trade I suspect and we'll get better value this year compared with next.

Goldy looks good when our midfield gets on top too. Gets involved in possession chains and doesn't turn it over very often. With Preuss, its low possession numbers and hacked kicks out of packs. Maybe he will improve in that respect. He's still young. Contested marking could improve too, doesn't take that many for his size. If Preuss does go I will feel a tinge of regret and could see him going on to be one of the best in the comp. Jesus....I've really turned full circle there haven't I? Keep both maybe? Trouble is Preuss will demand a trade I suspect and we'll get better value this year compared with next.

I'm equally torn, as I think Preuss could develop into a top class ruckman given his physical attributes. However, Goldy is an A-grade ruckman when playing well, which he has for the last 2/3 of this season. And you'd have to believe that he has at least 2 seasons left in him, perhaps up to 4.

I think Preuss might not want to stay with us in these circumstances. If he does, great - keep him. If he wants to go, his trade value is probably at its maximum at the end of this season. He was on a few radars last year but he stayed at North in the expectation of either sharing or taking over ruck duties. To the rest of the competition, he's an AFL class ruckman who's being denied the opportunity by being ranked behind one of the very few A-grade ruckmen in the comp. In that sense, the circumstances might have even increased his value in the eyes of others.

But I hope he elects to stay and be content as ruckman-in-waiting.

12 months ago I thought exactly the same.
He knows he will be treated and paid like a #1 ruckman. I see absolutely zero reasons for him to keep playing vfl under Scott's. Both are out of contract after next season, so if we are going to trade one of them, this offseason ie the time to do it.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back