Prediction 2018 trade hypothetical thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate that just being a little to tight to pass... Match Lycett then and keep him .. Kelly is worth much more than his draf value now

Guthrie and Murdoch for another ruck ... cant see that.
Yes Kelly is in a normal year but I don't think you'd get a 1st this year. but I think a quality ruck/fwd to pair with Rata next year is worth more to Geelong right now.
Added to that Miers and Constable coming through means they might move Danger back to more mid time but a bit more outside.
Just some ideas though

Yes Kelly is in a normal year but I don't think you'd get a 1st this year. but I think a quality ruck/fwd to pair with Rata next year is worth more to Geelong right now.
Added to that Miers and Constable coming through means they might move Danger back to more mid time but a bit more outside.
Just some ideas though

I dont have to read it any further than I don't think you'd get a 1st this year. If not he stays. Fine with me

Not one trade in particular, just what I think will happen
Lynch FA to Collingwood

Sloane FA to Hawthorn

Both McGoverns stay, Jeremy to resign

Gaff contract offers matched by WC, trade with North. North 1st plus 3rd for Gaff plus 4th
Lycett FA to Geelong

Kelly to WC for GC 2nd that WC got last year (Kelly worth more but done as good will for not matching Lycett bid)

Lloyd to Hawthorn, Moore to Sydney and picks to Collingwood

McVeigh to GC for peanuts

Guthrie And Murdoch to GC for Nichols plus pick exchange

Just some thoughts
Why are North going to trade for a free agent?
We are struggling to meet the salary cap for the next two years as is. If we really want Gaff, wouldn't it make more sense just to overpay him for a couple of years than lose the draft points?

Story i heard today from an old player that i thought was an interesting way to look at things from a west coast perspective which made some sense

West Coast are happy to let Gaff leave this year and even happy to let Lycett go as well and collect the draft picks and the salary cap space next year

They have their eyes on Coniglio as well as another free agent.

So Replace the existing talent and collect draft picks along the way - Would be smart maneuvering and keeping things intact

Story i heard today from an old player that i thought was an interesting way to look at things from a west coast perspective which made some sense

West Coast are happy to let Gaff leave this year and even happy to let Lycett go as well and collect the draft picks and the salary cap space next year

They have their eyes on Coniglio as well as another free agent.

So Replace the existing talent and collect draft picks along the way - Would be smart maneuvering and keeping things intact
I'm sure they'd live Cogs but little hope it'll happen. He's had the opportunity multiple times and shown no interest. Personally I'd swap him firMcGovern but I cant see either player wanting the trade. We definitely wont be kicking Cogs out the door, likewise for McGovern I think.

I'm sure they'd live Cogs but little hope it'll happen. He's had the opportunity multiple times and shown no interest. Personally I'd swap him firMcGovern but I cant see either player wanting the trade. We definitely wont be kicking Cogs out the door, likewise for McGovern I think.
I think the next 2 years are going to be extremely vital to alot of the GWS players that are reaching free agency, If GWS dont snatch a flag then you will find the players will be looking to move more than ever before and will be harder to keep them as alot of money will be coming for alot of your players

Kelly , Coniglio , Whitfield , Patton , Greene and more - The Vic clubs are going to be knocking and knocking hard
In Coniglio's case the Westerners

I think the next 2 years are going to be extremely vital to alot of the GWS players that are reaching free agency, If GWS dont snatch a flag then you will find the players will be looking to move more than ever before and will be harder to keep them as alot of money will be coming for alot of your players

Kelly , Coniglio , Whitfield , Patton , Greene and more - The Vic clubs are going to be knocking and knocking hard
In Coniglio's case the Westerners
I've heard so many times all kur pkayers are leaving, and they haven't, it means nothing to me anymore. Those players have all had the chance to leave and chosen not to.

I've heard so many times all kur pkayers are leaving, and they haven't, it means nothing to me anymore. Those players have all had the chance to leave and chosen not to.
Not really Your club has not had to deal with Free Agents yet and you will have a few all at the same time, They will be coming and coming hard for these players with Big $$$

We have zero midfield depth so should ask the question of him at least, we simply have little to offer with FS pick & three academy kids likely to hoover up our points, considering we don't have a second rounder this year.

Cannot think of a single player on our list we'd be prepared to trade that Richmond would be remotely interested in right now.
By some miracle we may get compo picks for Dahl & Wallis if they leave the club that Richmond might want pre-Academy bidding.

How about pick 60 for Miles & 71? I imagine Richmond would take that in a heartbeat.

Seriously, he's likely to be delisted, so you'll probably be able to get him for nothing as a DFA, or even redraft him as a rookie.

How about pick 60 for Miles & 71? I imagine Richmond would take that in a heartbeat.

Seriously, he's likely to be delisted, so you'll probably be able to get him for nothing as a DFA, or even redraft him as a rookie.
We have a history of doing goodwill trades to get a player to their preferred destination, we'd probably do some sort of trade as you've mentioned above to get him in.

We have a history of doing goodwill trades to get a player to their preferred destination............

iu

Yes and no.

Players these days seem to generally be of the view that when FA comes, that's when the money train arrives, and there is little stigma in leaving your club for a (substantially) better offer.

Because of the way GWS was setup, you have a lot of good players hitting FA at around the same time, and while most clubs can find the cap space to accommodate one or two players hitting FA, finding the extra cash to keep half a dozen players happy all in the same year is another matter entirely.

I don't doubt that GWS players are as loyal as any, but with the kind of cap squeeze that situation will bring on, it wouldn't surprise to find a few slip through the cracks.

Last edited:
We have a history of doing goodwill trades to get a player to their preferred destination, we'd probably do some sort of trade as you've mentioned above to get him in.

Well, as I said, we're likely to delist him so would probably take anything. A usable pick/upgrade would be the best case scenario, whatever that pick might be.

I'm sure a deal could be done, but as I said earlier in the thread, the same was pretty much true last year, and nobody came knocking. I doubt his currency has improved since then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes and no.

Players these days seem to generally be of the view that when FA comes, that's when the money train arrives, and there is little stigma in leaving your club for a (substantially) better offer.

Because of the way GWS was setup, you have a lot of good players hitting FA at around the same time, and while most clubs can find the cap space to accommodate one or two players hitting FA, finding the extra cash to keep half a dozen players happy all in the same year is another matter entirely.

I don't doubt that GWS players are as loyal as any, but with the kind of cap squeeze that situation will bring on, it wouldn't surprise to find a few slip through the cracks.
I take your point but our situation is so different from other clubs I dont think comparisons are valid. Our cap crunch has already come with the talented youngsters growing up. Retention isn't and cant be perfect, I've no doubt Devon Smith left last year because we couldn't pay him what he's worth.

Most have re-signed though and for us free agency wont change that much in my view. Some value the ability to ply their trade and still lead an anonymous life in Sydney. It's the best of both worlds for many. Not all though, I've no doubt recognition as well as money motivated Treloar.

As an example the club has been doing a Monday series on a different player each week, following their morning routine with a camera. Most have taken the opportunity to plug their preferred cafe and menu item. Cant see that happening in Melbourne where it would lead to them being annoyed over their morning coffee.

North: trade current 4th round (pick 54) for Richmond's Shai Bolton

GWS: trade current 1st and 2nd round (picks 8 and 24) for North's Preuss and first round pick (pick 13)

North: trade current 1st round (pick 8) for Freomantle's Adam Cerra

Geelong: trade tim kelly and 1st round (pick 14) for Freomantle's pick 8.

Do you want Dusty for a 2nd or 3rd? Ill ask Gale tomorrow at the game,Should be happy with either.Also Carlton want LDU but dont won't trade their 1st rounder.A 3rd should do??

It's just bizarre when it's off topic.
Yep, discussing players we traded out and you post a picture of a player we brought in. Totally agree.

Yep, discussing players we traded out and you post a picture of a player we brought in. Totally agree.

Come again?

The "history of doing goodwill trades to get a player" angle of posting Jade Rawlings picture has been lost on you?

Come again?

The "history of doing goodwill trades to get a player" angle of posting Jade Rawlings picture has been lost on you?
Your poor attempt at trolling by posting a picture of one player we brought in (not traded out to their preferred destination) nigh on 15 years ago is obviously a bit sad on your behalf, yes.

Just man up and admit you missed the mark on a thread while the rest of were having any adult discussion.

Your poor attempt at trolling by posting a picture of one player we brought in (not traded out to their preferred destination) nigh on 15 years ago is obviously a bit sad on your behalf, yes.

Just man up and admit you missed the mark on a thread while the rest of were having any adult discussion.

It's not trolling when it's designed show up a blatantly incorrect comment.

Your club conspired with another to do the exact opposite of what you are claiming.

It's a fact. I am not at fault in anyway whatsoever for highlighting your incorrect statement.

It's not trolling when it's designed show up a blatantly incorrect comment.

Your club conspired with another to do the exact opposite of what you are claiming.

It's a fact. I am not at fault in anyway whatsoever for highlighting your incorrect statement.
You're using one example (which is not comparable to the discussion we were having ie letting players we already had on our list go to their club of choice) from 15 years ago and ignoring the multiple examples from now recent times under the current administration.

Yep, you're going great :thumbsu:

I think in most instances clubs try to do the right thing... but there are always exceptions ..as there has been at geelong .

Anyway .. do you feel you FA player will be just let go to clean house ... and go to draft? Some say Geelong are linked to Dhouse .. not really confinced he is a need.. we have some good smalls not getting games atm

I think in most instances clubs try to do the right thing... but there are always exceptions ..as there has been at geelong .

Anyway .. do you feel you FA player will be just let go to clean house ... and go to draft? Some say Geelong are linked to Dhouse .. not really confinced he is a need.. we have some good smalls not getting games atm
Very few clubs stand in the way of a FA who wants to go elsewhere.

We're clearly rebuilding so as much as Dahl has said he'd prefer to stay I suspect the lure of heading home to a team that are still contenders will price too great. We're offering less than the Cats.

Wallis is on the outer and Roughly seems set to go too. With a bunch of under performing fringe players set to be cut too well have a large turnover this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back