Prediction 2018 trade hypothetical thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just put this in the Wingard thread, but applicable here as well.

Port - Get: Pick 5, Burton, Mayes; Lose: Pick 6, Wingard
Brisbane - Get: Pick 6 + 15; Lose: Pick 5, Mayes
Hawthorn - Get: Wingard; Lose Pick 15, Burton

- Gives Brisbane Picks 6 + 15 to go after Neale
- Fremantle then have Pick 6 + one of Picks 11 or 15 for Hogan
- Melbourne send Pick 6 to Gold Coast for May

That’s fisting port with a smile on your face

Why give up Wingard for moving up 1 spot and burton

You don’t give up elite players for crap like that

What the f*** is this s**t?

Collingwood get pick 11 for Langdon while Melbourne drop their pants and get violated while losing Hogan.
Either you think pick 18 doesn’t actually exist as a pick or you have severe difficulties with reading

Just put this in the Wingard thread, but applicable here as well.

Port - Get: Pick 5, Burton, Mayes; Lose: Pick 6, Wingard
Brisbane - Get: Pick 6 + 15; Lose: Pick 5, Mayes
Hawthorn - Get: Wingard; Lose Pick 15, Burton

- Gives Brisbane Picks 6 + 15 to go after Neale
- Fremantle then have Pick 6 + one of Picks 11 or 15 for Hogan
- Melbourne send Pick 6 to Gold Coast for May

this was also offered in the Wingard board:

Port - Get: Pick 5, Burton, Mayes, Hawks 2019 second; Lose: Pick 10, Wingard
Brisbane - Get: Pick 10 + 15; Lose: Pick 5, Mayes
Hawthorn - Get: Wingard; Lose Pick 15, Burton, Hawks 2019 second

i would probs tweak it cause we are getting bit overs here, maybe take Burton out, or sending another future pick or player to Brisbane.
the 10 and 15 would potentially secure Neale for brisbane

we might also be interested in parting with our future first, as we have F/S available next year we can get for later draft picks

Last edited:

After Blakey gets bid on (if we say at pick 7 - we would use 26,33 and 38 slides to 41 I think) the Swans then trade 39,40,41 to Collingwood for pick 19.

That’s 339 points extra and the equivalent to pick 12 before discounts and helps them get Quaynor and Kelly without further diluting their current second pick - in the 50’s and potentially going into trade debt.
The Swans obviously get another first round pick.
It looks win-win to me and within the rules

It’s a bit novel and I’m sure we’ll get a trade ban for it but what do you think?

After Blakey gets bid on (if we say at pick 7 - we would use 26,33 and 38 slides to 41 I think) the Swans then trade 39,40,41 to Collingwood for pick 19.

That’s 339 points extra and the equivalent to pick 12 before discounts and helps them get Quaynor and Kelly without further diluting their current second pick - in the 50’s and potentially going into trade debt.

It’s a bit novel and I’m sure we’ll get a trade ban for it but what do you think?

Lol. Very novel concept. Use live trading to shift around high picks for relatively junk picks to use on points and then swap them back after matching. I wish I thought of the idea first.

Please, please try it. :)

Really hope this happens to s**t on the AFL.

Not sure where to put it so I’ll put it here.
The draft going over 2 events. has the first round scheduled for the first night and the rest the next day.

They’ve scheduled it from 7-9:30pm. How long can it take to select 21-22 players.
That’s about 7 minutes per selection. What are they gonna do to fill the time?
At max 1 live trade happens I would think. Bit of hoops about the top 10 but still think there would be spare time.

Lol. Very novel concept. Use live trading to shift around high picks for relatively junk picks to use on points and then swap them back after matching. I wish I thought of the idea first.

Please, please try it. :)

I wish I’d thought of it too but it was another (far more intelligent) poster on our board.

I just wanted to see if it would fly.

Not sure where to put it so I’ll put it here.
The draft going over 2 events. has the first round scheduled for the first night and the rest the next day.

They’ve scheduled it from 7-9:30pm. How long can it take to select 21-22 players.
That’s about 7 minutes per selection. What are they gonna do to fill the time?
At max 1 live trade happens I would think. Bit of hoops about the top 10 but still think there would be spare time.

Yep, it has all the makings of death by a thousand cuts. I think there will be 2 or 3 trades but expect there to be history of that pick over the last decade and a few ex players blabbing on about how nervous they were on draft day.... I feel sorry for the kids who are on the borderline first round, they might end up two days of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are people's thoughts on this:

GWS trade pick 9 (received from Essendon for Shiel) and 2019 3rd round selection to Adelaide for pick 16 and 2019 1st pick. Points aren't really relevant, but its roughly 1670 points given up by GWS and 2130 points by Adelaide (assuming a top 6 finish in 19).

Adelaide then trade with Gold Coast. Pick 2 and 3 to Adelaide for picks 8, 9, 13 and 21.

After potentially losing their two captains, GC need to fully rebuild. drafting 4 quality players with the Adelaide picks would have to be tempting rather than 2 picks they currently hold.

Who's the loser in the above trades? I think they're win win all round?

What are people's thoughts on this:

GWS trade pick 9 (received from Essendon for Shiel) and 2019 3rd round selection to Adelaide for pick 16 and 2019 1st pick. Points aren't really relevant, but its roughly 1670 points given up by GWS and 2130 points by Adelaide (assuming a top 6 finish in 19).

Adelaide then trade with Gold Coast. Pick 2 and 3 to Adelaide for picks 8, 9, 13 and 21.

After potentially losing their two captains, GC need to fully rebuild. drafting 4 quality players with the Adelaide picks would have to be tempting rather than 2 picks they currently hold.

Who's the loser in the above trades? I think they're win win all round?
Those trades look good to me.
Seems to be a lot to give for a 7 pick upgrade though in the first one. But if Adelaide would do this then I think GWS would be happy too.

Second one also seems fair.

This from a supporter base that has been arguing mitch McGovern is a top ten pick because he is contracted

Wingard >>> daylight >>> still more daylight >>> Wingards little finger >>> daylight >>> mitch McGovern
Yeah, nah.

Wingard worth more. McGovern is a tall marking target, that can play both ends - it's much closer than you think.

Wingard had enough exposed form to say we've probably seen all he can be.

Why would Gold Coast trade out of a stronger draft into a weaker 1? Carlton would need to throw in a lot more than that

Are you certain That 2019 is a weaker than 2018 draft?
Anderson, Rowell, just to name a few very decent powerful midfielders. CFC's 1st rounder will get you close.
IMHO next year's top 10 will a very soild one should never compare of course, but I reckon this and next year's are close.

Are you certain That 2019 is a weaker than 2018 draft?
Anderson, Rowell, just to name a few very decent powerful midfielders. CFC's 1st rounder will get you close.
IMHO next year's top 10 will a very soild one should never compare of course, but I reckon this and next year's are close.

All the “experts” that get paid to study these say this is the best one in a long time. I’ll take their word for it at the moment

And if there is 1 team that probably doesn’t want to trade future firsts for a while, that team is Gold Coast after the debacle with West Coast this year.

Any which way you look at it Gold Coast are better placed than any team

If Carlton take Luko with pick 1
Gold Coast get Rankine and Walsh
If you guys take Walsh
Gold Coast get Rankine and Luko
If you guys take Rankine
Gold Coast get Walsh and Luko

Carlton would need to beg Gold Coast to trade

Given there are talks that Port and the crows are very keen to snare one of the top SA prospects, what are both clubs prepared to part with to trade up to pick 4, given you would expect Rankine to still be available?

If the saints were to get involved in the Wingard deal, I'd look at pick 4 + 28 for pick 6 + Burton.

The crows' pick 8 is just outside of the standout group of draftees, so would be more keen to do a deal with Port. Would crows accept pick 4 for pick 8 + Milera?

Given there are talks that Port and the crows are very keen to snare one of the top SA prospects, what are both clubs prepared to part with to trade up to pick 4, given you would expect Rankine to still be available?

If the saints were to get involved in the Wingard deal, I'd look at pick 4 + 28 for pick 6 + Burton.

The crows' pick 8 is just outside of the standout group of draftees, so would be more keen to do a deal with Port. Would crows accept pick 4 for pick 8 + Milera?
No, we would not. If Milera requested a trade tomrorrow we would ask for a pick in the 8-12 region. Pick 8 + 10 >>>> Pick 4.

All the “experts” that get paid to study these say this is the best one in a long time. I’ll take their word for it at the moment

And if there is 1 team that probably doesn’t want to trade future firsts for a while, that team is Gold Coast after the debacle with West Coast this year.

Any which way you look at it Gold Coast are better placed than any team

If Carlton take Luko with pick 1
Gold Coast get Rankine and Walsh
If you guys take Walsh
Gold Coast get Rankine and Luko
If you guys take Rankine
Gold Coast get Walsh and Luko

Carlton would need to beg Gold Coast to trade

We're talking about a team which traded pick 2 last draft for Weller?
If Suns are eager for 1st shot they'll offer something nice, if not perhaps the SA teams will be try and bid each other even better for the opportunity to lock away either future champs Lukosius or Ranking.
That would make a lot of sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back