Mega Thread 2018 Trade Period Discussion part 3!

What do you think the Crows should do with their Picks?

• Don't vote for that one above either (or this one)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So you're just a troll?
giphy%20(5).gif

Bazz_27

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LFC,
Menzel's goal average only serves to highlight how far off the mark he is in every other aspect.
Look I'm not a Menzel fanboy although i'm sure I'm coming across that way but hear is his stats compared to CC. Blue is Menzel is better per game and red is CC is better per game. Things to note- Menzel is higher in 1%, Marks I50, Goal Assists, Goals, Behinds. Only marginally however the conversation is worth having IMO

upload_2018-10-23_14-31-42.png

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Jesus this David Mackay bullshit that seems permeate every thread is truly tiresome and to put it bluntly boring, this is the trade period discussion FFS.

Luke Partington now that he's been delisted is one DFA worth a look for sure, SA lad, good accumulator and decent skill set, certainly up to AFL standard I would think and would be very serious depth if nothing else.
Partington as a rookie I’d take. Seems a bit ‘meh’ as an inside mid these days? I do know he won the Eagles reserves B&F

I understand that. For the record 2 guys on our list have averaged 2 goals a game in their careers and neither are small forwards...

I don't think he is the difference but if he is available on a 1 year deal and fits in the cap then I say take him

Don't get me wrong, the goal average is the only reason why Menzel is even talked about here and not a delist with no fanfare whatsoever.

He is very much an anachronism. 20 years ago, he's a lock in any lineup. Now days, I wouldn't be confident in Dan even holding an SANFL/VFL spot for a year, especially in sides that heavily take from AFL sides. He lacks the main thing a small forward is expected to do with is give + defense in a forward line. Goals per game mean sweet * all compared to that.

He is a list clogger, nothing more.

I do want to say, it's not to say I don't rate goals per game and offensive skills in a small forward. It is icing on a player. The thing that pushes a good small forward to an elite small forward. It however doesn't make a no-hoper into a good small forward.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
But Bicks, wouldn't West Coast have offered Partington up at the Trade Table ? ......or are clubs thinking of maybe a DFA ?
Its the reason why we couldn’t trade Henderson and ended up delisting him - WCE probably saw him as surplus and offered him up, but other clubs knew they could potentially swoop as a DFA

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Look I'm not a Menzel fanboy although i'm sure I'm coming across that way but hear is his stats compared to CC. Blue is Menzel is better per game and red is CC is better per game. Things to note- Menzel is higher in 1%, Marks I50, Goal Assists, Goals, Behinds. Only marginally however the conversation is worth having IMO

View attachment 577527
Menzel 0% defensive pressure, no repeat efforts, just watches his opponents run off him...

Sep 5, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Someone said Fog’s ultra serious about his offseason workouts to build his tank the other day. Refused to go home because he wanted to stay near the clubs facilities.

I know it’s a BF rumour and grain of salt and all that, but if there is any truth too it then the kids certainly listened in his exit interview this year. And seems to have the right attitude.
Did see a players instagram story the other day. Might have been Smithers who had a video of him and Fog in the Crows gym

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd
Way ahead of you. I stopped watching after I saw a team completely disinterested against Collingwood. Only 3 games from a pathetic GF performance and they couldn't be bothered to break out of a jog. Doing that on the day the VFL gave us all the finger and extended the MCG contract by another 20 years - yeah that was the final straw.

They don't have the fight needed to win a flag as a non-vic side. Adelaide is a Carlton, a Fremantle, a Port Adelaide, a Gold Coast - going nowhere and doing nothing about it.

If you don't like losing talented players now, wait a couple of years when they bring in the mid-season trades they want and players are walking out the door in June.

Giving it away has been great, no more weekends ruined by being in a shitty mood from a poor loss, I've been able to accept invites that clashed with Crows games. I've turned in 2 memberships, that money will do me more good in my pocket.

Now I just enjoy watching people who actually think that anything is going to change.

Maybe the VFL will hand them a pity flag in another 20 years or so, maybe.

giphy.gif

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I take issue with this ....you say #8 will be a gun ...but then say #13, #16, #21 "collectively" will equal Luko.......what are you saying man !!

Each one of those picks by their own ....if it was our only pick, we'd be saying how we'd be getting a very good player .........too many are watering down the value of each of these picks and watering down who we get at those picks !

I said more than, not equal.

I do think that the guys in that top 8 are the type of kids that you see in the top 3 in any other year. So as much as an unproven 18 year old can be called a "gun". If Caldwell gets taken early, then we have the type of kid that is usually reserved for the bottom feeders.

Luko is the cream of that crop and he has the most value. But I actually think that we are more likely to get an overall better return if Hamish gets to take those three picks, than if we just took Luko.

I have swung massively in favour of not trading up if Caldwell is going to go before our pick. At the end of the day, Hamish has been watching these kids for a long time. I think he mentioned Thomas since he was 12. He will know exactly what we would be giving up and getting. So whatever they do, I feel pretty comfortable.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not sure I agree with this when you take into account "organic growth" of players we are looking to push into the midfield (or have recruited as long term midfielders)

Sloane
Gibbs

M. Crouch
B. Crouch
Douglas
Greenwood
Ellis-Yoelman

Gallucci
Milera
Knight
Poholke
Mackay ;)
Atkins

Sure, some are unproven here and some might be getting a bit on but we will draft a couple of long term midfielders this draft as well and players like Gallucci, Milera, Knight and Poholke will be given more exposure in the midfield in 2019 and beyond.

Ideally, we will look to draft a KPP and 2-3 long term midfielders in the draft this year.

Partington is 21. I am not even saying that he is going to be good enough. But we are missing contested mids in that age demographic. Atkins is not the type of mid I am talking about, so I can't include him. If he develops that type of contested side to his game, it will be a bonus. I think a player like Partington is a list need.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Partington is 21. I am not even saying that he is going to be good enough. But we are missing contested mids in that age demographic. Atkins is not the type of mid I am talking about, so I can't include him. If he develops that type of contested side to his game, it will be a bonus. I think a player like Partington is a list need.
Immediately offers more than Poholke around the contest, I'm starting to really wonder if Myles is going to make it as a best 22 AFL player, haven't seen nearly enough improvement from him this season.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Immediately offers more than Poholke around the contest, I'm starting to really wonder if Myles is going to make it as a best 22 AFL player, haven't seen nearly enough improvement from him this season.

I am not bullish on Myles. Its his decision making that worries me, more than his work around the contest. I think he has shown some good things at the contest and with his tackling. Not saying he is on track for an AFL career, but I am not writing that part of his game off. Also think he is a good mark. But not sure if he has the smarts for AFL footy.

I am not bullish on Myles. Its his decision making that worries me, more than his work around the contest. I think he has shown some good things at the contest and with his tackling. Not saying he is on track for an AFL career, but I am not writing that part of his game off. Also think he is a good mark. But not sure if he has the smarts for AFL footy.

His decision making seems a split second off the pace required for AFL

Great point. Wonder if Greenwood could play McGovern's role next year... Doubt Fog is ready for it aerobically
I have pencilled Greenwood in to play the Gov role, with rotations on ball.

Enables us to go in with deeper midfield rotations & allow us to play other mids like Sloane up forward at times.

Back