Live Event 2018 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a theory that in the NFL that getting players from other clubs has an initial negative effect. As good as the player is they need to learn the systems of the team and the team needs to accept them. When breaking down teams in statistics, the player might be a big plus, but has a negative associated to joining the new team. The more you bring in the bigger this negative value can be (Port is a good example of that last year).

Player from the draft don't often play much in their first year so their negative is smaller.

So it is possible we might go backwards next year. Although I doubt it, because I suspect the players we drafted fill holes in our team, covering the biggest negative areas for our team.
I can’t see this being a factor for us. We have no working systems in the forward half. The only way to improve without working systems is to get better players, which we seem to have achieved. Hopefully we can implement working systems to go with the better players.

Also rule changes are going to impact all teams systems so even mature, well drilled teams will have some bedding in to do.

I really rate what we did with draft picks but we now don't have the spots on the list to use them??? And development of our own players doesn't seem to be high on our agenda.
I'd say the club has a pretty clear plan this off season, to create a more competitive age demographic for the team we put on field each week whilst also ensuring injuries don't cripple us as much as recent seasons. Think 26 players on our list are 23yo or under so if we were to go to draft and add another 8 like last draft our list would be too young to be competitive (especially if/when some of our older heads get injured).

Assuming we'll do something like delist 6 more, re-rookie 2 or 3 of them, get 3 players in the ND, 1 in the RD and add 2 Cat Bs. So we could still end up adding 4-6 18yos to our list. That's plenty to fill some gaps in our list and our development coaches will have their hands full regardless. A lot of our youngsters got a taste last season but I'm glad it won't be as easy for them to earn their spot next season. They'll need to impress at Peel which will make Peel better (like it was for Weller, Blakely, Langdon) and take some pressure off our key players who won't have to carry the load for so many youngsters on field. We want to build a list with 34+ solid AFL players, not just a good B22 with zero depth.

I'd say the club has a pretty clear plan this off season, to create a more competitive age demographic for the team we put on field each week whilst also ensuring injuries don't cripple us as much as recent seasons. Think 26 players on our list are 23yo or under so if we were to go to draft and add another 8 like last draft our list would be too young to be competitive (especially if/when some of our older heads get injured).

Assuming we'll do something like delist 6 more, re-rookie 2 or 3 of them, get 3 players in the ND, 1 in the RD and add 2 Cat Bs. So we could still end up adding 4-6 18yos to our list. That's plenty to fill some gaps in our list and our development coaches will have their hands full regardless. A lot of our youngsters got a taste last season but I'm glad it won't be as easy for them to earn their spot next season. They'll need to impress at Peel which will make Peel better (like it was for Weller, Blakely, Langdon) and take some pressure off our key players who won't have to carry the load for so many youngsters on field. We want to build a list with 34+ solid AFL players, not just a good B22 with zero depth.

List submissions are on the 31st, so they will delist players this week or next. Hope it's this week to give the players a chance to find a new home if needed.

What's the rules with the Cat B rookies? If we can add them along with a bunch from the draft I'd be very happy with our offseason.

What's the rules with the Cat B rookies? If we can add them along with a bunch from the draft I'd be very happy with our offseason.
It used to be that if you're father and son (probably now academy player) gets through the draft without being picked up and you have nominated them pre-draft, you can automatically put them on the rookie list as your last choice/s. The difference will probably be that your academy kids will be put on a cat B rookie list rather than cat A. Taylor will probably know the exact rules.

Interesting trade period....

Came in with just a 1st, 5th, 6th and 7th round pick.

Ended up with a mid 1st, mid 2nd, mid 3rd and mid 4th rounder.

Sure we have no 2019 3rd and 4th rounder but Next year we have a 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th and 7th.

I expected us to get lobb in a reasonable deal. I didn't think we could of got Hogan. and we got both. I predicted we would get a free agent, but I didn't predict Conca, I assumed fasolo as he is a small forward. As for travis colyer from Essendon? I cant comment too much on him as I don't watch enough Essendon games.

Losing Lachie Neale does hurt. But have lost a quality mid in Neale for a quality forward in Hogan. So it evens out.

No Doubt freo were bust on the trade table.

To be Brutally Honest I was more happy to get Lobb than getting Hogan,

Yes Hogan is capable of kicking 50 goals a season. Getting Lobb hit 2 birds with one stone. Lobb is both a solid ruckman and solid tall forward.

I looked at his 2018 stats: Played 19 games, kicked 11 goals and 10 behinds and averaged 20 hit outs a game.

I looked at his 2016 stats: Played 24 games kicked 29 goals and 16 behinds and averaged 6.5 hitouts a game.

His 2018 stats prove he can be a good solid ruckman if you play him most of the game there,

His 2016 stats prove, he plays forward he will get 2 scoring shots a game and kick 30 goals.

Happy for him to kick 30-35 goals next year while Sandi and Darcy ruck.

Lobb is both a solid ruckman and solid tall forward.

I looked at his 2018 stats: Played 19 games, kicked 11 goals and 10 behinds and averaged 20 hit outs a game.

I looked at his 2016 stats: Played 24 games kicked 29 goals and 16 behinds and averaged 6.5 hitouts a game.

His 2018 stats prove he can be a good solid ruckman if you play him most of the game there,

His 2016 stats prove, he plays forward he will get 2 scoring shots a game and kick 30 goals.

Happy for him to kick 30-35 goals next year while Sandi and Darcy ruck.
Lobb probably is as good as a ruck/forward can get. Good enough in the ruck to play main ruck and a 30 (well 29) goal forward. Hard to be better without being a once in a generation player...

With him in the team we can easily play an old Sandi or a young Darcy without need to sacrifice firepower/run for a second ruck or having just a part timer when the main ruck is resting. We needed him in 2010-2015...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon darcy will kick a few as well. He has got a swagger about him. Cant see tabs being able to compete in the forward line. Unless dardy is really not dardy like we thought.
Lost me with this statement. He already competes and bringing in Hogan and Lobb means he actually will be better as he doesn't draw the no.1 KPD.

Lost me with this statement. He already competes and bringing in Hogan and Lobb means he actually will be better as he doesn't draw the no.1 KPD.
Frankly I don't think we can afford to go that top heavy in the forward line. I'd have Hogan, Cox, and Lobb as the tall forwards. Cox instead of tabs because he's a better field kick and reader of the ball than Tabs.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Frankly I don't think we can afford to go that top heavy in the forward line. I'd have Hogan, Cox, and Lobb as the tall forwards. Cox instead of tabs because he's a better field kick and reader of the ball than Tabs.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
It will be Tabs / Hogan and Lobb. Tabs offers more on the wings and when we kick out of defense. That is some serious targets in our forward line.

B.Cox will be a good player for us but he's young and needs to build up fitness and strength, same with McCarthy. However no reason anyone of them can't have a stellar preseason and force their way in.

It will be Tabs / Hogan and Lobb. Tabs offers more on the wings and when we kick out of defense. That is some serious targets in our forward line.

B.Cox will be a good player for us but he's young and needs to build up fitness and strength, same with McCarthy. However no reason anyone of them can't have a stellar preseason and force their way in.
We haven't had much of that in a long time, but it is exactly what we need.

I reckon darcy will kick a few as well. He has got a swagger about him. Cant see tabs being able to compete in the forward line. Unless dardy is really not dardy like we thought.

Darcy kicks a few in the WAFL. loves a goal.

From what i've heard Lobb wants to play in the forward as he is sick of getting injured doing the center bounce, which is fine since Darcy can do them.

would someone be able to give me an idea as to why we would be interested in sutcliffe and maybe even why we would choose to target him rather than sheridan?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back