Live Event 2018 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

would someone be able to give me an idea as to why we would be interested in sutcliffe and maybe even why we would choose to target him rather than sheridan?

Nope, can't think of one reason. Sheridan will probably go ok at GWS but I would avoid Suttcliffe who really lacked confidence in his game and his skills just kill you.

would someone be able to give me an idea as to why we would be interested in sutcliffe and maybe even why we would choose to target him rather than sheridan?
Backline experience? Most of his footy was played as a defensive half back. Not a back pocket lockdown but as a defender with the tank to run with hardest running half forward for the opposition.

Definitely better inside but more unpredictable kick. Didn't seem to like being stuck in defence but did play the odd good game there.

Sheridan would have better skills, probably more pace over the ground too. Both have very good tanks, but Sheridan would be a touch better in that regard too i suspect. But when it comes to applying his craft on the field, Sutty has proven in the past to be more harder at the ball, defensively accountable (though when caught 1 on 1 its abut scary) and just able 'stay in the game' and do his job with more consistency.

I'd add that Sutty has played his best when more defensive side of the ball, Sherro better more fwd of the ball.

He can defend. Really good at minding a player but doesn’t hurt the other way or take saving marks. He’s done a good job of keeping Heaney quiet in the past so that mayve spurred your clubs interest? Needs to improve his kicking which has gone backwards the longer he’s been with us.

Sutcliffe's most damaging was when he had licence to run forward and deliver inside fifty. He only did that once in recent memory but it was special

Yeah, someone posted somewhere recently that we never got to see a side of Sutty's game that was certainly there - you see it at lower levels, a more attacking side, basically as a true winger. At AFL level he got the job of a HBF type and it pretty much stayed that way. Not sure if he would have been shown up (even more) if he was asked to play that more attacking style for longer, but its a side that was definitely in his tool kit - you see it at WAFL level often enough.

Yeah I thought Sutty looked really good in his first year kicking inside 50. Not sure why that side of him disappeared but it seems to happen to a lot of our players, going into their shells. I reckon another coach could probably turn him into a really handy player.

Yeah I thought Sutty looked really good in his first year kicking inside 50. Not sure why that side of him disappeared but it seems to happen to a lot of our players, going into their shells. I reckon another coach could probably turn him into a really handy player.

Maybe losing the experienced and talented support of Luke, Dawson, Duffield ,a fit Johnno aroun him might have had something to do with his drop off in form

After the first season opposition coaches have a lot more tape of a player. They can then work on exposing their weaknesses.

Sutcliffe was one of our power runners and spent most of the game on the field allowing our more burst players to spend their time on the bench. We had a grind and jump style of play. Most of our defenders spent nearly all the game on the ground which in itself keeps a structure back there and makes us better.

Maybe losing the experienced and talented support of Luke, Dawson, Duffield ,a fit Johnno aroun him might have had something to do with his drop off in form
This. We had a few guys like Sutty, Ibbo, Sheridan, etc who looked a little exposed when they the more senior guys retired or had long-term injuries and they then needed to find another level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back