2018 U19 World Cup in New Zealand

Remove this Banner Ad

Keeper hasn't mistakenly thought it was in play. Looking at the front on vision it has clearly stopped. It appeared he didn't appeal straight away as well.

He would be lying if he said he thought that ball was in play.

DTtscqTU8AAUc1K.jpg

The whole picture is still. Vision shows us nothing of what the keeper thought in those moments. Moving picture at normal speed from his viewpoint is only real way to be in his shoes for that brief moment.

Yeh.. I realised when I was attaching a photo it is not going to show the ball moving and coming to a complete stop. And also what the keeper was thinking.

The point of the image is show the keepers view of the ball (unobstructed, 5m away, perfect angle) that he could clearly see the ball had stopped and was not going on to hit the stumps and the batsmen were not going to run. The ball was another set of stumps away to the right. Hence it should have been deemed a dead ball. There is no way that he could argue on any level that ball was not dead.

No one I ever played with or against would have appealed for that but a few captains may have let the batsman know that we'll do the fielding and he should just worry about the batting, possibly using terms not suitable for broadcast by the stump mic.

Pretty disappointing to see.

I didn’t really have an issue with the mankad from the last World Cup but that’s ordinary to see
The Windies captain/Keeper has since said he regrets what he did, so at least he’s realised how ordinary his actions were

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The batsman in question had already been warned from memory and given that there was only a few runs in the game I think they were well entitled to do it. This is something different altogether

The rules were changed mid last year as well.

Back then you had to warn them before you took the bails in your delivery stride, if you gave no warning you had to take the bails before entering your delivery stride.

Now it can be done at any time, without warning, right up to the ball release.

Watched the footage the other day. Very, very ordinary in my opinion. Although, I always think that no matter where the ball is you never touch it as a batsman. Let the fielders pick it up.

Probably just shows the general lack of leadership and cricket structures in the West Indies. Most places the mindset to mankad someone or get them out handled ball would have been eradicated during junior ranks and etiquette drummed in. They're just playing 'street rules' cricket

Sri Lanka have lost to Afghanistan and Zimbabwe.

Great for those two nations. Not so good for an established cricket nation

Am only going on relative heresay, but you often hear about the nepotism and politics involved with Sri Lankan cricket, could only imagine it being moreso for selection of the younger the age groups.

All three are, at this point, established cricket nations.
Only if semantics are your thing. They are newbie/basket case respectively
Am only going on relative heresay, but you often hear about the nepotism and politics involved with Sri Lankan cricket, could only imagine it being moreso for selection of the younger the age groups.
I remember reading that their country has a federal law that one of their politicians must be on the selection committee. Not sure if true - sounds ridiculous - but I also vaguely recall one of their elder statesmen (Atapattu?) making an impassioned plea for selection based on ability and nothing else a while ago.

Only if semantics are your thing. They are newbie/basket case respectively.

Afghanistan can top their group. Zimbabwe beat SL 3-0 in their last ODI series. Sri Lanka is a small island nation with a weak cricket structure that just happened to have some awesome players for a while, and hasn't been able to recover yet.

They've rested Edwards.

Zak Evans is playing.

Edwards replacement McSweeney has hit an 80 ball century.

PNG really struggling as you would expect. Australia is 1-252 with McSweeney on 156no from 110 deliveries and Sangha on 87no from 100 deliveries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back