Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Public Broadcasting Service:

BBC Hour by Hour guide:

https://bbc.in/2zy6b6b

In the US, every 2 years all 435 seats in the House of Representatives and roughly a third of the Senate - this time 34 of 100 seats - are up for election. In the years this doesn't coincide with a presidential election they're called "midterm elections". There's lower voter turnout (because people are stupid) and typically a swing against the President's party. There's also a lot of governorships and state legislatures having elections on the same day.

Donald Trump is inept and has managed to piss off most of America so a huge swing towards the Democrats is expected. However, with Republican gerrymandering in the House of Representatives and most of the Senate seats being defended already in Democratic hands, just how the swing translate into seats remains to be seen. It's probably hard to overstate how big a deal this one is. If the Democrats win both chambers, it is likely a contemptuous Congress will removed Trump from office as more Mueller information becomes available.

That's still the future. In today's news, former Massachusetts Governer and 2012 Presidential Election loser Mitt Romney is coming back:

Mitt Romney Takes Veiled Swipes At Trump In Senate Run Announcement

Mitt Romney, the 2012 Republican presidential nominee and former governor of Massachusetts, officially announced Friday morning that he is running for the Senate seat being vacated by seven-term GOP Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah.

Romney tweeted a video announcement, after delaying a planned launch on Thursday in the wake of the deadly mass school shooting in Parkland, Fla.

Romney, who spoke out forcefully against Trump during the 2016 presidential campaign, blasted Washington and took veiled swipes at the president in the video.

"Utah welcomes legal immigrants from around the world," Romney says. "Washington sends immigrants a message of exclusion. And on Utah's Capitol Hill, people treat one another with respect."

A Sen. Romney would add yet another layer of drama to Washington. During the 2016 campaign, Romney called Trump a "phony" and a "fraud." Trump, who tried to persuade Hatch to run for re-election, responded hotly during the campaign, saying Romney "would have dropped to his knees" for Trump's endorsement in 2012.

From afar, Romney has been critical of Trump's policies. Now, he has the opportunity to do it up close — and with a likely national television spotlight, if he seeks it out, that will beam him right into the White House, in plain view of this president, a habitual cable-news watcher.

More: https://www.npr.org/2018/02/16/5780...unces-return-to-politics-with-utah-senate-run

And here's the wrap:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-07/us-midterm-elections-live-blog/10468388

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty new to politics so haven't ever care about the midterm elections so please correct me if I'm wrong - the Republican party can't be thrown out of office but Trump, their leader can?

I've swung back and forth on Trump during his term but I think in the last month or two he's lost me, he just doesn't have the concern for his people that I thought he had. I'm grateful he protected the country from Clinton and Sanders but I wouldn't be too upset if he were overthrown by a more suitable candidate. I don't think he likes being President anyway, I've never been convinced he'd run for 2020.

I'm pretty new to politics so haven't ever care about the midterm elections so please correct me if I'm wrong - the Republican party can't be thrown out of office but Trump, their leader can?

I've swung back and forth on Trump during his term but I think in the last month or two he's lost me, he just doesn't have the concern for his people that I thought he had. I'm grateful he protected the country from Clinton and Sanders but I wouldn't be too upset if he were overthrown by a more suitable candidate. I don't think he likes being President anyway, I've never been convinced he'd run for 2020.

No, Trump can't be thrown out of office as a direct result of these elections, but the Republicans can be thrown out as the majority in one or both of either the House of Representatives or the Senate.

And Trump has protected America from nothing, unless you feel that competent leadership is something to be avoided.

This is worth its own discussion away from the "What dumb s**t did Trump do today?" thread.

In the US, every 2 years all 435 seats in the House of Representatives and roughly a third of the Senate - this time 34 of 100 seats - are up for election. In the years this doesn't coincide with a presidential election they're called "midterm elections". There's lower voter turnout (because people are stupid) and typically a swing against the President's party. There's also a lot of governorships and state legislatures having elections on the same day.

Donald Trump is inept and has managed to piss off most of America so a huge swing towards the Democrats is expected. However, with Republican gerrymandering in the House of Representatives and most of the Senate seats being defended already in Democratic hands, just how the swing translate into seats remains to be seen. It's probably hard to overstate how big a deal this one is. If the Democrats win both chambers, it is likely a contemptuous Congress will removed Trump from office as more Mueller information becomes available.

That's still the future. In today's news, former Massachusetts Governer and 2012 Presidential Election loser Mitt Romney is coming back:
“Stupid” is voting when you don’t have to. Why would you vote and validate the corrupt two party system that is the US House of Reps?

Why would you vote and validate the corrupt two party system that is the US House of Reps?
Because it is the lesser of two evils.

The greater evil of course (by a considerable margin) which needs to be dealt with, is the Republican Party.

Well, at the very least the party not in the pocket of the NRA is going to be less evil than the other.
Stop deluding yourself. One party believes in the right to defend yourself. The other doesn’t. It still doesn’t mean that any ot them aren’t equally as evil. Stop living up to your avatar just for once!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You dragged me down to your level!
your mind is suffering from such extreme cognitive conflict that you think deflections enables your initial point to remain valid. If your point was valid you would have argument not deflections. Recognise this and stop being a robot who resorts to deflecting when they make a dumb statement. reassess your point of view and either come up with valid arguments or if you cant then change your opinion.

your mind is suffering from such extreme cognitive conflict that you think deflections enables your initial point to remain valid. If your point was valid you would have argument not deflections. Recognise this and stop being a robot who resorts to deflecting when they make a dumb statement. reassess your point of view and either come up with valid arguments or if you cant then change your opinion.
You thinking that one party being better than the other party is ******* pathetic. Give this bs a rest!

You thinking that one party being better than the other party is ******* pathetic. Give this bs a rest!
You defend Trump at every opportunity, you're probably the least likely voice of partisanship posting on SRP.

Back on topic, the GOP has gerrymandered to within an inch of the realms of possibility which should shield them from some of the typical incumbent backlash associated with midterms but I'd still expect half the country to call whatever the result is a "stinging rebuke" to the Trump Presidency and the other half to talk about Obama.

The changes are likely to be relatively immaterial given the US floor & senate have a greater tolerance for crossing the floor than countries such as Australia.

You defend Trump at every opportunity, you're probably the least likely voice of partisanship posting on SRP.

Back on topic, the GOP has gerrymandered to within an inch of the realms of possibility which should shield them from some of the typical incumbent backlash associated with midterms but I'd still expect half the country to call whatever the result is a "stinging rebuke" to the Trump Presidency and the other half to talk about Obama.

The changes are likely to be relatively immaterial given the US floor & senate have a greater tolerance for crossing the floor than countries such as Australia.
I defend the truth Mofra. Look back at my posts and try and defend your first sentence of your post. Weak as it was. Personally, I am of the belief that voters should boycott the mid-term elections. Most of them are corrupt and don’t deserve a vote!

so another strongman has become a dictator today. Just two months ago people in china laughed at the notion of this being a possibility. just two months ago.

When do we open up our eyes and realise Trump and America are on the same path. If the republicans maintain its power in congress and trump wins the next election I see Trump becoming a dictator as more likely than not.

so another strongman has become a dictator today. Just two months ago people in china laughed at the notion of this being a possibility. just two months ago.

When do we open up our eyes and realise Trump and America are on the same path. If the republicans maintain its power in congress and trump wins the next election I see Trump becoming a dictator as more likely than not.
HAHAHAHA
Wait you are serious
That is one hell of a long bow you have there

1) trump doesnt have enough popular support to guarantee a second term let alone a third

2) given 1), he definitely doesnt have enough support to overturn the 22nd

3) he lacks the support of the military and the media needed to take over without the ballot box

Usa is not becoming a dictatorship, and is in no danger of it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back