Grand Slam 2018 US Open - The last GS with 32 seeds

Remove this Banner Ad

On a more positive note, I see Barty won the sportsmanship award for women at US Open.
What should have been a celebration of a japanese player winning the country's first slam title, djokovic tying sampras gs tally, ash breaking through for her first womens doubles titles at the 5th attempt and dylan alcott winning another slam has turned into a huge uproar about sexism and now racism.

It's gone way too far!

I think Serena was an absolute brat and knobjockey but this depiction is rascist.Once you start making the lips big like he did, it's no different to early Australian cartoons making fun of indigenous people, look them up if you haven't seen them.The Herald Sun is a racist newspaper , everyone knows it, Bolt got convicted of it, they constantly target Africans for special treatment.It's like any other Rupert Murdoch paper- racist and distasteful.

But she has big lips? So let's just ignore her prominent features just because it was used racially a 100 years ago. People need to drink a cup of concrete and harden the * up.

Cartoons are meant to exaggerate features. The lips are NOT red like they were depicted in the racial images all those years ago. The lips are the exact colour that they are meant to be. You might also notice that the cartoonist has exaggerated her hair too.

What's your background

Does it matter? Australian but married to a Russian. Have German heritage through parents.

A joke is just that- it’s a joke my goodness talk about making the world out of something small lol

I'd put this to Serena's supporters: if people concede that the cartoon was racist, will they concede that Serena was wholly in the wrong on Saturday?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Anyway, if Serena was a vocal supporter of men and women playing matches of equivalent length, only then would I care to listen to her ridiculous cries of sexism in tennis.

But she has big lips? So let's just ignore her prominent features just because it was used racially a 100 years ago. People need to drink a cup of concrete and harden the **** up.

Cartoons are meant to exaggerate features. The lips are NOT red like they were depicted in the racial images all those years ago. The lips are the exact colour that they are meant to be. You might also notice that the cartoonist has exaggerated her hair too.
You probably said the same thing about Nicky Winmar, people like you don't get it.

You probably said the same thing about Nicky Winmar, people like you don't get it.

Don't assume anything friend. I get it and maybe you don't.

In every post of yours in this thread you have made sweeping assumptions about the poster. Here's some advice: grab a glass of wine and sit by the foreshore of port phillip bay and contemplate what you are really saying.

I'd put this to Serena's supporters: if people concede that the cartoon was racist, will they concede that Serena was wholly in the wrong on Saturday?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Anyway, if Serena was a vocal supporter of men and women playing matches of equivalent length, only then would I care to listen to her ridiculous cries of sexism in tennis.
Yeah she was wholly wrong, that ump is always strict but he is equally tough on everyone , she was quite disgraceful in her behaviour 100%, but that depiction of her in the cartoon is a complete separate issue, and it is obviously racist by the way they drew her face and lips. Mark Knight has form, the herald sun has form, they did it deliberately so they could start a anti- PC campaign to sell more papers.They are proud of it because most of there editorial contributers are racist or borderline racist. Bolt was convicted of racism.It's a racist cartoon, the only people disputing this is the Herald Sun, the Trump crowd ,the Milo Yapanoulis crowd and the closet racists that hide behind their keyboard on bigfooty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't assume anything friend. I get it and maybe you don't.

In every post of yours in this thread you have made sweeping assumptions about the poster. Here's some advice: grab a glass of wine and sit by the foreshore of port phillip bay and contemplate what you are really saying.
Ok didn't mean to judge you, but are you saying you and the herald sun is right- (a newspaper owned by Rupert Murdoch that has a long history of racism and picking on minority groups) and the rest of Australia and the rest of the world are overacting as nd should just get over it?

Ok didn't mean to judge you, but are you saying you and the herald sun is right- (a newspaper owned by Rupert Murdoch that has a long history of racism and picking on minority groups) and the rest of Australia and the rest of the world are overacting as nd should just get over it?

It's a massive overreaction which unfortunately perfectly depicts our current society. You can't just say that because it's the herald sun it's racist. There are also plenty of people in Australia who think it's an overreaction.

Do me a favour. Take a look at all the other cartoons from the same guy. They are literally all the same. The cartoonist was simply doing what he does in every single cartoon. In order to heal racism you have to let go of insecurities. There is nothing, I repeat nothing racist about the cartoon.

It's quite funny that most, if not all, of the tennis twitter people I follow, have all said Serena was in the wrong. It is the people who don't follow tennis who are actually defending Serena. Most likely because they have no idea what they are talking about..
Yes spot on, it's quite annoying people have chosen this issue as an example of sexism or racism.It's more about a privileged person worth $180 million trying to belittle an elite umpire on $500 a game.When she demanded an apology 5 times, it got ridiculous.She has always been a bad loser I agree.

It's quite funny that most, if not all, of the tennis twitter people I follow, have all said Serena was in the wrong. It is the people who don't follow tennis who are actually defending Serena. Most likely because they have no idea what they are talking about..
Exactly. I found most people who disagree with the umpire are the ones who do not understand the rules or seen Ramos umpire a match before. Most tennis fans support Ramos whereas social media and the US media continue to attack him.

Though the comments by WTA and USTA were disappointing.

Ramos will be umpiring the next US v Croatia Davis Cup match.

It's a massive overreaction which unfortunately perfectly depicts our current society. You can't just say that because it's the herald sun it's racist. There are also plenty of people in Australia who think it's an overreaction.

Do me a favour. Take a look at all the other cartoons from the same guy. They are literally all the same. The cartoonist was simply doing what he does in every single cartoon. In order to heal racism you have to let go of insecurities. There is nothing, I repeat nothing racist about the cartoon.
Rubbish mate, it's a racist depiction. The dickhead's decision not to apologise shows his true stripes.He would rather put his family in danger so he can make a stand on his right to be a bigot.The guys a complete arse clown.

Here's another Mark Knight cartoon suggesting Indigenous Australians didn't put up a fight 230 years ago, another insult to black people. Dmw_qmKU4AE_89m.jpeg

Believe me, I despise Bolt, Panahi, Trump, Milo et al, but I don't particularly care about the cartoon to be honest. I don't think those on either side of the argument will reach agreement any time soon.

I do care about tennis, and believe it or not, I do care about sexism and racism and will not hesitate to speak out about such issues. I think any suggestions of racism at the final are laughable, although Serena might, just might have a point about sexism, but on court was not the place to have the discussion/argument. I expect experienced tennis reporters and fans to do some diligent research and provide some facts to prove or disprove what Serena is claiming. But the uneducated vitriol spewing forth from those with a barely passing interest in the sport are not contributing anything meaningful to the discussion.

Sure, there is a discussion to be had, but not in the manner that Serena was carrying on on Saturday.

It's not the rest of Australia and the rest of the world. Most Australians think it's not racist and I suspect so do most of the rest of the world. I checked with an American friend of mine and her verdict was not racist. She did say though that no-one in America would dare to ridicule Serena in any way. I think that's what has upset some people. I would say no matter how Mark Knight had drawn her, given the subject of the cartoon (her throwing a tanty), people would have been calling it racist anyway. Look at the way they booed Osaka the other day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back