Grand Slam 2018 US Open - The last GS with 32 seeds

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
It's not the rest of Australia and the rest of the world. Most Australians think it's not racist and I suspect so do most of the rest of the world. I checked with an American friend of mine and her verdict was not racist. She did say though that no-one in America would dare to ridicule Serena in any way. I think that's what has upset some people. I would say no matter how Mark Knight had drawn her, given the subject of the cartoon (her throwing a tanty), people would have been calling it racist anyway. Look at the way they booed Osaka the other day.
They didnt boo Osaka, they booed the umpire who had to lock himself in his hotel room for 24hours because Serena basically incited the crowd.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
They didnt boo Osaka, they booed the umpire who had to lock himself in his hotel room for 24hours because Serena basically incited the crowd.

Whoever they were booing, my point still stands. They don't like it when they think Serena has been humiliated in any way.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Whoever they were booing, my point still stands. They don't like it when they think Serena has been humiliated in any way.
True, she is probably in the top ten celebrities in America and I agree she used this to try and pressure the ump to reverse his decision.

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Source: https://twitter.com/davpope - Political cartoonist, Fairfax Media Australia

newscorp_serena.jpg

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
Here's another Mark Knight cartoon suggesting Indigenous Australians didn't put up a fight 230 years ago, another insult to black people.View attachment 557665

As was Julia's overreaction in the first place. A protest was classified as a 'riot'.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
The dickhead's decision not to apologise shows his true stripes.He would rather put his family in danger so he can make a stand on his right to be a bigot.The guys a complete arse clown.

It's his right to express himself, the bigot thing is still up for debate even though some are just assuming it.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
What would a non-racist caricature of an African-American person look like? Or is it not allowed to caricature them at all?
He's a cartoonist not a carictaturist.Something like this would not be offensive.She could still be jumping on her racket with her tutu on, and be tantrum like.
15367511051727841154466624984498001.png

He's a cartoonist not a carictaturist.Something like this would not be offensive.She could still be jumping on her racket with her tutu on, and be tantrum like.View attachment 557828

That isn't even a caricature though. The definition of a caricature is:

a picture, description, or imitation of a person in which certain striking characteristics are exaggerated in order to create a comic or grotesque effect.

The bolded part of defintion is the key difference between a caricature and the drawing you have provided.

Take for example this caricature of Obama in which no one was offended by:
images

Obama's big lips, nose, and ears have all been exaggerated just like William's lips etc.

It doesn't matter that he isn't a caricaturist by definition. Cartoonists and caricaturists often overlap. The definition of a cartoon is:

a simple drawing showing the features of its subjects in a humorously exaggerated way, especially a satirical one in a newspaper or magazine.

As one can see, the job of both a cartoon and a caricature is to portray the subject in a humorous and exaggerated way.

Last edited:

a picture, description, or imitation of a person in which certain striking characteristics are exaggerated in order to create a comic or grotesque effect.

The bolded part of the key difference between a caricature and the drawing you have provided.

images

Obama's big lips, nose, and ears have all been exaggerated just like William's lips etc.

It doesn't matter that he isn't a caricaturist by definition. Cartoonists and caricaturists often overlap. The definition of a cartoon is:

a simple drawing showing the features of its subjects in a humorously exaggerated way, especially a satirical one in a newspaper or magazine.

As one can see, the job of both and cartoon and a caricature is too portray the subject in a humorous and exaggerated way.
Just waiting for Bomberboydummy to call it "hateful".

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

The bolded part of the key difference between a caricature and the drawing you have provided.

images

As one can see, the job of both and cartoon and a caricature is too portray the subject in a humorous and exaggerated way.
In your example ,Obama is smilling with exaggerated ears and teeth and it's good natured. But the Serena face has been drawn to inflict insult and racial nastiness.I dont look at her face and go' thats very funny, good natured fun'. By drawing big lips in that way , with no eyes and tongue sticking out, he's trying to offend ,not be funny.
Screenshot_20180912-221424_Chrome.jpg

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
In your example ,Obama is smilling with exaggerated ears and teeth and it's good natured. But the Serena face has been drawn to inflict insult and racial nastiness.I dont look at her face and go' thats very funny, good natured fun'. By drawing big lips in that way , with no eyes and tongue sticking out, he's trying to offend ,not be funny.View attachment 557852
The eyes closed, tongue out, is portraying Serena in the light of a baby having a big dummy spit. I thought that much was obvious with the dummy that was on the floor in knights cartoon!

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
In your example ,Obama is smilling with exaggerated ears and teeth and it's good natured. But the Serena face has been drawn to inflict insult and racial nastiness.I dont look at her face and go' thats very funny, good natured fun'. By drawing big lips in that way , with no eyes and tongue sticking out, he's trying to offend ,not be funny.View attachment 557852

She's throwing a tantrum! Ever seen a 2 year old throw a tantrum? They don't look pleasant!!

He is portraying someone having a tantrum. When you have a tantrum your eyes are closed and your mouth is wide open.

Back