Analysis 2018 v 2017 YOY comparison - are we really getting better?

Remove this Banner Ad

If we were perpetually down in the bottom 4 of the ladder with little or no likely hood of ever being in contention?

Now that would be an enigma wrapped in a paradox shrouded in a conundrum, I love Australian Football as a spectacle but if there is no hope what is the point? The journey can be exhilarating but you eventually have to arrive at your destination ie. MCG last Saturday in September.

In saying all that I'd probably still rock up every game day hoping for a miracle on grass much like I do now.:(

It's insane isn't it. Most home games over the past couple of years I've declared long and loud that I'm doing something fun next time instead of going to the game and using next years membership fees on something that actually makes me happy. Just tonight I said I'm not going tomorrow but like any addict who knows better I'll probably cave tomorrow. At least I can use matty eagles as my excuse.

In Victoria, it’s attending Fitzroy games and adopting a wait and see approach to Brisbane. I have lowered my expectations and become emotionally less invested. I have a Victorian Family Membership that I probably won’t renew because in the end, attending games with my children provides little by way of entertainment value. This is the real issue for the club. Statistical improvements from one season to the next and the “promise” of a brighter future (like we haven’t heard this one before) isn’t going to cut it in terms of cold hard economics. If Brisbane wants people to invest emotionally and financially in the club then they need to start winning games of football.

On the up side you've just provided the only valid upside I've heard to living in Melbourne. Happy faced funny face thingy.

Winning would definitely help but even if we did I still be waiting for the next miserable loss. The lions might need to run workshops for spectator expectation realignment.

The lions might need to run workshops for spectator expectation realignment.
Very good. I adopted a ‘self help’ approach, but many supporters would benefit from a more interventionist model.

In Victoria, it’s attending Fitzroy games and adopting a wait and see approach to Brisbane. I have lowered my expectations and become emotionally less invested. I have a Victorian Family Membership that I probably won’t renew because in the end, attending games with my children provides little by way of entertainment value. This is the real issue for the club. Statistical improvements from one season to the next and the “promise” of a brighter future (like we haven’t heard this one before) isn’t going to cut it in terms of cold hard economics. If Brisbane wants people to invest emotionally and financially in the club then they need to start winning games of football.

This whole "I've heard this one before" thing people keep saying seems to be based purely on emotion not in fact.

The fact is, even when we had the GH5 at the club - 3 of the 5 are legitimately good players. We have never had this much high end first and early second round talent on our list since the post 2004 era.

We have arguably the the best administration the club has ever had, have got funding for world class facilities which will make the club profitable again + give our teams a home and the most importantly the right coach for our list.

Yes, we've been sold hope before and been absolutely stung. It still stings from some of the s**t in the past but in 2018, we have the right cogs in place and it is no longer a matter of emotion, but a matter of fact.

We have plenty to prove and a lot of work to do, but we have tools to succeed.

Yes, we've been sold hope before and been absolutely stung. It still stings from some of the s**t in the past but in 2018, we have the right cogs in place and it is no longer a matter of emotion, but a matter of fact.

I hope you are right.

This whole "I've heard this one before" thing people keep saying seems to be based purely on emotion not in fact.

The fact is, even when we had the GH5 at the club - 3 of the 5 are legitimately good players. We have never had this much high end first and early second round talent on our list since the post 2004 era.

We have arguably the the best administration the club has ever had, have got funding for world class facilities which will make the club profitable again + give our teams a home and the most importantly the right coach for our list.

You should put this in the positives thread. Made me feel better.

Well said. This has been a decade of disaster. It's hard to watch. I don't need the pain as it brings back terrible memories of the decline of the Roys in the 90s. I'm passing the baton on to the next generation .. best wishes.

For and against through 7 rounds last year -278
2018 -195

Quartes won through 7 rounds last year 9
2018 9

Lines up with the thinking that we've had far less D and E grade quarters, but also less A grade quarters. We've had a much larger percentage of B+ down to C+ grade quarters which has meant we've stayed closer for longer but still only won the same number of quarters as a whole. Which is better? gut says the more consistent you can be across 4 quarters the more chances you have of winning games. Still would be nice to see a few more A grade quarters in the next few weeks. We're at a stage where having a few more of them while maintaining our b grade average probably sees us nabbing a few wins.

Lines up with the thinking that we've had far less D and E grade quarters, but also less A grade quarters. We've had a much larger percentage of B+ down to C+ grade quarters which has meant we've stayed closer for longer but still only won the same number of quarters as a whole. Which is better? gut says the more consistent you can be across 4 quarters the more chances you have of winning games. Still would be nice to see a few more A grade quarters in the next few weeks. We're at a stage where having a few more of them while maintaining our b grade average probably sees us nabbing a few wins.
Just need to clean up some finer details, the A graders will come with fixing up those, nearly's.
It will come, and we are not far away from seeing it.
I honestly think that Fagan is building a team capable of matching it with the best teams.

Just need to clean up some finer details, the A graders will come with fixing up those, nearly's.
It will come, and we are not far away from seeing it.
I honestly think that Fagan is building a team capable of matching it with the best teams.
Next year can we have the thread slightly tweaked.
Last five rounds this year and First five rounds next year, makes more sense that we should be seeing some improvement from one year to the next.

Not really sure where to put this but it's been swirling around in my head for a while now and the game day threads just remind me over and over...

My first thought 30 seconds after the Collingwood game was "geez it's hard being a Lions supporter at times". My next thought was "how hard is it being a player".

It's clear to anyone who listens to the Roar Deal podcasts that the players read social media. Good and bad. And I'm sure a few browse these pages too. It's so easy to single out an act as proof of failure and crucify a player. It's just as easy to single out another as justification for re-selection or proof that he's better than the other guy. But it's simplistic, and it's brutal. And the delivery is often breathtaking.

To be honest it's bullying. It's hurtful and it's disrespectful. Listening to podcasts and anecdotes from the players highlights how much the players need to be able to let some of the comments and criticisms wash off them. To be honest I'd be surprised if any can completely.

To look at the faces of those boys on Sunday night is to understand how much harder it is to be a player. To see how lost Lewy seemed to be in the interview after the game highlights what they give.

I confess I have a new respect for our players. I'd like to think I always did. But it's grown.

These are boys we condemn and criticise and belittle. They're 18,19,20,21,22,23. They're still trying to figure out who they are, get perspective on their lives, their roles, their careers. On one hand we elevate them to ambassadors of the sport and the club, thrust them into the community as role models, present them to the media as the face of the future.

On the other we subject them to a scrutiny that few others have, we critique them from a position of luxury with little to no qualification with virtually no right of reply, and subject them to abuse that lives on the internet forever.

I was damn proud of the team after that game. Not only because we played the best game of the year with an even, consistent contribution across the board, but because we get the privilege to see these players grow, and improve and take pride and ownership in a club we too love. None go out to play a bad game or make a mistake. None go out to miss a goal or have a tackle broken. All go out with the intent of experiencing the same fulfillment of singing the song that we get.

This isn't meant to be mushy, nor is it meant to be a condemnation of anyone. I guess it's more a plea for us to be smarter in our frustration. To be wiser in our criticism. To be fairer in our passion.

Remember, when the tide turns, these same guys that we impale every week will be the ones who bring us the elation of the win.

This is a shared journey... good and bad.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really sure where to put this but it's been swirling around in my head for a while now and the game day threads just remind me over and over...

My first thought 30 seconds after the Collingwood game was "geez it's hard being a Lions supporter at times". My next thought was "how hard is it being a player".

It's clear to anyone who listens to the Roar Deal podcasts that the players read social media. Good and bad. And I'm sure a few browse these pages too. It's so easy to single out an act as proof of failure and crucify a player. It's just as easy to single out an act another did as justification for re-selection or proof that he's better than the other guy. But it's simplistic, and it's brutal.

To be honest it's bullying. It's hurtful and it's disrespectful. Listening to podcasts and anecdotes from the players highlights how much the players need to be able to let some of the comments and criticisms wash off them. To be honest I'd be surprised if any can completely.

To look at the faces of those boys on Sunday night is to understand how much harder it is to be a player. To see how lost Lewy seemed to be in the interview after the game highlights what they give.

I confess I have a new respect for our players. I'd like to think I always did. But it's grown.

These are boys we condemn and criticise and belittle. They're 18,19,20,21,22,23. They're still trying to figure out who they are, get perspective on their lives, their roles, their careers. On one hand we elevate them to ambassadors of the sport and the club, thrust them into the community as role models, present them to the media as the face of the future.

On the other we subject them to a scrutiny that few others have, we critique them from a position of luxury with little to no qualification with virtually no right of reply, and subject them to abuse that lives on the internet forever.

I was damn proud of the team after that game. Not only because we played the best game of the year with an even, consistent contribution across the board, but because we get the privilege to see these players grow, and improve and take pride and ownership in a club we too love. None go out to play a bad game or make a mistake. None go out to miss a goal or have a tackle broken. All go out with the intent of experiencing the same fulfillment of singing the song that we get.

This isn't meant to be mushy, nor is it meant to be a condemnation of anyone. I guess it's more a plea for us to be smarter in our frustration. To be wiser in our criticism. To be fairer in our passion.

Remember, when the tide turns, these same guys that we impale every week will be the ones who bring us the elation of the win.

Damn fine post:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Wish I could like it more than once.

Although disappointed for myself and my fellow supporters, I was more gutted for the players that gave everything last Sunday night but still came up agonisingly short ......youngsters like McCluggage, Witho, Rayner, Berry, Bailey, old buggers like Hodge, veterans like Zorks, Rich, Beams and Stef....the goddamn lot of them.

I'm desperate for these guys to get a win for their sake more than mine.

If any of you players are reading this....hang in there fellas.... we're with you

GO Lions:):thumbsu::thumbsu::footy:

It's clear to anyone who listens to the Roar Deal podcasts that the players read social media. Good and bad. And I'm sure a few browse these pages too. It's so easy to single out an act as proof of failure and crucify a player. It's just as easy to single out an act another did as justification for re-selection or proof that he's better than the other guy. But it's simplistic, and it's brutal.

Spot on. I don't understand how so many posters seem to delight in put down comments. These young blokes are heading in the right direction. I love seeing their development. I attend 95% of the home games over more than 20 years and continually get frustrated with what I see but then out of the blue the boys click and show us what they are capable of and the world is rosy again (for 6-7 days ;)). The same thing was happening pre the 3 peat & then the pain was all worthwhile & in the past.

The most baffling stat is so far we have only spent roughly 81 minutes in front of our opposition and roughly 888 minutes behind. Most of the 88 mimutes was over 2 games. I reckon if the time we have been behind barely any of it (bar tiges) would be over 24 points behind. Never has a team felt so close, yet been so far away. We couldnt have forseen how frustrating and gruelling this season would be lol

The most baffling stat is so far we have only spent roughly 81 minutes in front of our opposition and roughly 888 minutes behind. Most of the 88 mimutes was over 2 games. I reckon if the time we have been behind barely any of it (bar tiges) would be over 24 points behind. Never has a team felt so close, yet been so far away. We couldn't have foreseen how frustrating and gruelling this season would be lol

Actually some posters (eg TheBrownDog ) did predict not only how frustrating and gruelling it would be but also the level of supporter/poster angst that would be on display as a result (and which some have found helpful when it comes to dealing with their emotional responses to the current state of play!)

Actually some posters (eg TheBrownDog ) did predict not only how frustrating and gruelling it would be but also the level of supporter/poster angst that would be on display as a result (and which some have found helpful when it comes to dealing with their emotional responses to the current state of play!)

Oh dont get me wrong, I tipped us for 4 wins. Im actually highlighting the frustration generated from the fact we are playing so much better overall, yet cant sneak that pressure releasing win. I dont think anyone would have predicted the season would pan out this way, huge improvenent and virtually all close loses, back to back. The emotional posting is getting way out of hand, but it serves to stay level headed and rational through it all, this was never our year.

I reckon once we get that win the penny will drop a bit. The pressure will be off and the players will come to grips of what difference the extra 1% can do late into the fourth quarter.

Agree. Winning and maintaining a winning culture is another learning curve separate to skills and tactics. A lot of it is confidence which is incredibly hard to develop when you are losing constantly. Very much a j curve response.

Going back to the 2s and winning can help some players. The current patch of competitive games is building belief that they can compete. Hopefully the first scalp will a big one and be the turning point.

That does surprise me then, maybe the fact we had some good wins clouds my memory .
From my memory I thought we looked more fluent with our game and our senior players were up.

Yeah overall, we were better first 5 games this year compared to last 5 of last year. I think it is contributed to by overall game style league wide being a bit different this year and the fact in the back half of the year a lot of teams subconsciously drop pressure and the sting goes out of it a bit, especially once finals are out of question - it becomes a bit of a jog to the finish line, so we often see more open games with fluent ball movement which generally suites us ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back