Review 2018 VFL Grand Final: Box Hill Hawks def Casey Demons: sore losers see red

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is eligible to play from Friday night?

Mirra, Worpel, Schoe, Duryea, Nash. Anyone else? Ceglar?

I’ve seen others state that Cegs hadn’t played enough VFL games.

Would be stiff to see some of the lads who’ve got the job done over 3 elimination finals lose out on the grand final just because other players have become eligible. Don’t envy the selectors having to make the tough calls.

Who is eligible to play from Friday night?

Mirra, Worpel, Schoe, Duryea, Nash. Anyone else? Ceglar?

Apart from Schoey I have no problems with the other guys playing as they all have played 60-70 of games for Box Hill.

Did anyone here watch yesterday’s game? How HUGE a play was that Whitecross intercept. I really want to see Whitey win a premiership even if it isn’t an AFL one. That man deserves one and every one of us should be pushing for it as he has been a great servant of this club. It might be worth starting up a separate thread called #winitforwhitey

Apart from Schoey I have no problems with the other guys playing as they all have played 60-70 of games for Box Hill.

Did anyone here watch yesterday’s game? How HUGE a play was that Whitecross intercept. I really want to see Whitey win a premiership even if it isn’t an AFL one. That man deserves one and every one of us should be pushing for it as he has been a great servant of this club. It might be worth starting up a separate thread called #winitforwhitey

Crazy to think Box Hill and Hawthorn have played a combined 7 grand finals in Whitey's time at the club and Whitey has only got to feature in one of them. Would be absolutely fitting for him to be BOG in the winning side this weekend.

I’ve seen others state that Cegs hadn’t played enough VFL games.

Would be stiff to see some of the lads who’ve got the job done over 3 elimination finals lose out on the grand final just because other players have become eligible. Don’t envy the selectors having to make the tough calls.
Neither Duryea nor Cegs have played the required six games (4 EACH). Landford is the other likely in if fit.
Most of the the eight VFL listed players who played yesterday have played less VFL games this season than Mirra/Worps/Nash/Shoe. Aside from Moore, Brolic and Hamms, BH have rotated many of their listed players in and out of their suburban clubs. The best players deserve to play.
Details here http://websites.sportstg.com/team_info.cgi?c=1-118-10469-477472-26138795&a=STATS

Shoe didn't play VFL finals last year despite being eligible and I reckon he might miss but the others will play.
We need to play our strongest possible side - this will be a great experience for our younger Hawthorn players and a reward for guys like Willsmore, JOR who will be delisted.

Possible team
FB Jiath Brand Glass
HB Mirra TOB Miles
C Cousins WhiteX Hamms
HF Willsmore Shoe* Langford*
FF Nash Lewis Hanrahan
Foll Pitto A Moore Worpel
Int JOR Brolic Lovell Ross D Moore

* C Jones in if no Shoe
* Kilpatrick/Lane in if no Langford

Hawks by 43.

Actually SHoe has played way more BHH games than Duryea, Nash or Worps.
WhiteX would almost be suspended if the VFL has video MRP. Very hard fist to the guts start of 4th Q. Silly.

was under the impression if you played 10 or more games at AFL level makes you ineligible to play in the finals if your AFL side's season is over?
In which case Worpel won't be able to play.
Don't know of the others.

Paul Amy has tweeted that Mirra, Nash, Worpel and Schoenmakers are all eligible to play in the grand final.

If Schoey has even the slightest twinge in his achilles he won't play is my guess.

Actually SHoe has played way more BHH games than Duryea, Nash or Worps.
WhiteX would almost be suspended if the VFL has video MRP. Very hard fist to the guts start of 4th Q. Silly.

They do check the video for any infringements.

I wouldn't mind Nash playing he needs more game time. Still learning the game. The others not so fussed

I wouldn't mind Mirra play for a VFL premiership. I can't see him on Hawthorn's list next season and should the Hawks upset the Demons, it would be a fitting reward for a perennial Box Hill warrior.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't mind Mirra play for a VFL premiership. I can't see him on Hawthorn's list next season and should the Hawks upset the Demons, it would be a fitting reward for a perennial Box Hill warrior.
I reckon he stays on the list mate

Has the 2013 VFL flag was captain. He will play and we will win comfortably.

I think that Mirra should be the only change for this week. The Boxhill boys and Hawks players have done an awesome effort over the last 6 weeks. The old rule don’t fix it if it’s not broken.

Not sure why you're thinking Mirra might go? That they played him ahead of Brand in final suggests to me he'll probably stay (though the same argument could be made for Duryea, and I reckon he'll go - so I see my lack of logic!).

I'd love to see him pay too. Especially since I'll be at the ground watching and want Box Hill to win! However, I did see Clarko in an interview say that Mirra will not play for Box Hill. I can't find the clip sorry, and I hope I misunderstood. Anyone else see it?

Certainly from the CH7 interview with Mirra just prior to first bounce at the BHH final on Sunday, it seemed to me like he was done for the year in terms of playing.

Haven't watched it to see if this is the whole interview but perhaps in this clip:
http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/video/2018-09-16/vfl-mirra-its-been-a-crazy-12-months

If he was any chance to play you'd think that he'd mentioned being pumped for a GF. Good post.

Wasn't the clip I saw though...

Not sure why you're thinking Mirra might go? That they played him ahead of Brand in final suggests to me he'll probably stay (though the same argument could be made for Duryea, and I reckon he'll go - so I see my lack of logic!).

I think he's a lock for next year. Totally a personal opinion. He started the year as a bit of good press and a backup defender. He ended the year as a possible option as a forward and probably still a backup defender, but leapfrogged a few IMHO.

Because, in my view, Mirra isn't up to AFL standard. It's been a great story but if he plays numerous games in 2019 as a Hawthorn player, I fear that we're going backwards.

You didn't like his game in a final vs Melbourne? Wasn't our worst. I take your point that he is not A-grade, but we can only pick our best 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back