Review 2018 VFL Grand Final: Box Hill Hawks def Casey Demons: sore losers see red

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope it was to let the lads who’d worked their guts out over 3 tough elimination finals finish the job. Would have been brutally unfair for some of those Box Hill listed lads to miss out today.

Whilst I some what agree surely you pick the best possible team to win.

The fact they were available and not played is puzzling to say the least.

Whilst I some what agree surely you pick the best possible team to win.

The fact they were available and not played is puzzling to say the least.
Not really. Hawthorn would care more about the development of the listed players, rather than the result.

Just got back from the game. Cracking win by the girls and the boys, Mirra was huge in defence, Pitto took a bit of time to get into the game but found the angry pills and had a real good one. Miles and Whitecross were massive!

Is it just me or does our coaching staff over think things, playing Mirra forward in the first half when Stevie Wonder could see he was required in the back half.

As for Pittonet I can't wait to see him play regular Hawthorn games. Under one condition though, we rough him up in the warm up, each play slaps him he responds well to it.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not really. Hawthorn would care more about the development of the listed players, rather than the result.

But if that was the main criteria, surely Worpel and Nash play and replace two Box Hill listed players? I'd guess Newman would have argued pretty strongly against that.

There was no advantage or disadvantage to Hawthorn FC in Nash or Worpel playing. Playing in the seniors semis, despite losses, would have been far more massive for their development than playing today. As it stands I don’t see Worpel suiting up for Box Hill ever again unless his form falls off a cliff.

We already messed up Box Hill having a chance at a flag when Cyril was benched for the last quarter of the 2014 grand final and players were out on their feet. The team that was out there was good enough to win 3 tough finals so deserved its chance to finish the job today.

Maybe Newman just said no and picked the team he wanted out there.

Those boys played the whole finals series together and the addition of those two might have thrown all the hard work they’d done down the drain

Maybe both boys were a bit sore from their finish to the year
Reckon Worps was running out of gas.
Could just have been picking the blokes who were in the best shape

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We won, we won the women's (BTW perhaps we need a women's sub thread if we have a Box Hill one.) need to move with the time boys.

For me this was about, yes the Box Hill players (geez Moore walks into Hawthorn b4 a few players.) but everyone of them that plays each week or in between their local team.

But it was also about Brendan Whitecross. Brendon in some ways is our Brian Coleman. But a better footballer not yet an administrator. Every time we've won he's been in a team at a higher level who lost or did he's knee when a walk up start in the finals series so missed the GF at that higher level.

Today was a great day for Hawthorn but also Box Hill... but most importantly it was great day for a Queensland journeyman who's suffered knee injuries in final's to miss GF to get a premiership medal within the Hawks realm.

It brought a tear to my eye to see him up with his kids. And I hope one day under the father and son rule... one of them may bring a tear to my eye at a level above today or even at the same level.

Today to me was Brendan Whitecross' day. I'm rapt for the bloke.

We won, we won the women's (BTW perhaps we need a women's sub thread if we have a Box Hill one.) need to move with the time boys.

For me this was about, yes the Box Hill players (geez Moore walks into Hawthorn b4 a few players.) but everyone of them that plays each week or in between their local team.

But it was also about Brendan Whitecross. Brendon in some ways is our Brian Coleman. But a better footballer not yet an administrator. Every time we've won he's been in a team at a higher level who lost or did he's knee when a walk up start in the finals series so missed the GF at that higher level.

Today was a great day for Hawthorn but also Box Hill... but most importantly it was great day for a Queensland journeyman who's suffered knee injuries in final's to miss GF to get a premiership medal within the Hawks realm.

It brought a tear to my eye to see him up with his kids. And I hope one day under the father and son rule... one of them may bring a tear to my eye at a level above today or even at the same level.

Today to me was Brendan Whitecross' day. I'm rapt for the bloke.
Imagine how fantastic it would be if one of his boys was drafted as FS and one day wins a premiership medallion and hands it to him and says ‘here you are dad you deserve this more than I do’.

I’m not crying you are!

Just read the stats on my AFL live app. The possession numbers were really really low, for both teams. Bugg had the most of anyone with 24? The only reason I think they might be full time stats is because it lists Pitto as having 57 hitouts. Surely he couldn't have had any more than that.

Had the pleasure of going to the GF today.

My observations (albeit all over the shop like a mad woman’s diahorrea) on the game :-

Hawks looked nervous & played accordingly in the first quarter ; defence was in disarray until Mirra pushed back ; the. It seemed to solidify

DM kicks a goal on an acute angle on halftime siren to keep us within 17 points

After halftime, we seem to come out a lot more aggressive: O’Brien is moved forward after offering little down back. Our midfielders are starting to get their hands on the pill thanks to Pittonet playing a ‘Max Gawn’ role. 4 goals to BoxHill and 3 to Casey has us only 9 points down heading into the last quarter.

Can the stangers , change things enough to snatch an improbable Premiership from the “Hot favorite” GoDees!?

With the crowd on the edge of their seats ; hiding with hoodies pulled over their heads : losing fingernail material by the second - wait a second I’m describing myself. I keep one eye on the time clock & the other eye peripherally on these Brown/Gold warriors. Time almost stands still and I’m willing each forward thrust.

Hasn’t anyone told them , you can’t win the flag from 7th on the ladder !?

These boys/men both young & old are playing with a belief that not only they can win this , but, THEY know they will win. With such belief , I join in, the hoodie comes off, the fingernails left alone with constant clapping & cheering on these warriors oblivious to time - I now what time to stand still so I can soak in what I am witnessing.

It’s not until a kid called Whitecross sprints with his opponent to a loose ball on our half forward flank ; he tackles like his Premiership life depends on it , do I realise at this exact moment - we’ve done it. Nothing will take this from us now. Time to sit back , smile, truly appreciate the season just gone ; how close it was to being eliminated in the first week. I look across to my 2 boys , now adults , one nods knowingly , the other smiles and winks - it’s a footy moment only footy tragics understand - we are Premiers - time to head home & watch the replay.

Proud & Passionate

U bloody betcha. Go Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back