2018 VFL season

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems strange to only have one game on the opening weekend of the VFL season. Any reason for it?
They usually have a standalone fixture week 1 and have week 2 as a bigger weekend.

Port vs Richmond is shaping up to be a cracker, two very strong sides in. Casey will destroy my Lions unfortunately :(

We're going to get belted, hopefully most of our 550 members turn up though
Casey have a ridiculously strong list for an aligned club. They should be close to favourites for the entire thing

Ladder after round 1.
Very interesting percentage at the top.
Box Hill ran out the 2nd half superbly with 17 Afl listed players v Williamstown.

Essendon v Willy @ Willy will be a game to keep an eye on in round 2.

Port v Collingwood will be another to also keep an eye on. We'll see where the reigning premiers are at after this one.

Werribee v Casey. Casey have a strong list but Werribee showed a bit v Geelong in round 1. They should've won.

North should smash the Bullants but...

Bring on round 2!

Screenshot_20180410-200058.png

NMFC vs Preston game streamed this weekend. Looking forward to checking out the redeveloped chirnside park.

Preston hasn't had a team for many years i'm afraid. The ground is used....but not by Preston. Preston City Oval is the home of Carlton's Reserves and that's the only reason that the "relationship" is still going. Carlton need a ground to send their plebs to so that IKON Park stays in pristine condition. Anyone that thinks otherwise is delusional.

Preston hasn't had a team for many years i'm afraid. The ground is used....but not by Preston. Preston City Oval is the home of Carlton's Reserves and that's the only reason that the "relationship" is still going. Carlton need a ground to send their plebs to so that IKON Park stays in pristine condition. Anyone that thinks otherwise is delusional.
The folk here mention Preston & Bullants for historical reasons. We know the sad state of play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Impressed with Werribee today against my dogs. Down by 53 late in the 3rd lost by only 8. Dogs outrunned late on and just hung on.

Tigers moved the ball well and ran hard to get back in the game.

Good crowd there with lots of Werribee supporters showing their colors.

Think they can kick on as a stand alone club, very impressed with their redevelopment.

Impressed with Werribee today against my dogs. Down by 53 late in the 3rd lost by only 8. Dogs outrunned late on and just hung on.

Tigers moved the ball well and ran hard to get back in the game.

Good crowd there with lots of Werribee supporters showing their colors.

Think they can kick on as a stand alone club, very impressed with their redevelopment.

Being a stand alone team in a town like Werribee is probably a good thing for bringing in supporters and a better atmosphere.. Good on them..

Being a stand alone team in a town like Werribee is probably a good thing for bringing in supporters and a better atmosphere.. Good on them..

Yeh, agree Turbo, was pleasantly surprised at their number, many with club gear on. Many volunteers manning the sizzle, merchandise (doing a good trade), bars and kiosks. Full crowd in the function room.

Maybe many of the non-Kangaroos supporting locals have decided to re-engage with their home town team. Seemed that way. They impressed on field too, were better than I thought they'd be.

Yeh, agree Turbo, was pleasantly surprised at their number, many with club gear on. Many volunteers manning the sizzle, merchandise (doing a good trade), bars and kiosks. Full crowd in the function room.

Maybe many of the non-Kangaroos supporting locals have decided to re-engage with their home town team. Seemed that way. They impressed on field too, were better than I thought they'd be.

Not to the same extent, but a number of old Coburg supporters seem to be coming back week on week. Also plenty of volunteers about the place and pretty full social club pre and post match.

So 8 rounds in and it looks like a very even season. Current ladder:

Richmond 6-1, 175%
Collingwood 6-1, 155%
Casey 5-2, 143%
Essendon 5-2, 143%
Box Hill 5-2, 132%
Williamstown 4-3, 119%
Geelong 4-3, 113%
Port Melbourne 4-3, 103%
-----------------------------
North Melbourne 4-3, 90%
Footscray 3-4, 97%
Sandringham 3-4, 86%
Frankston 2-5, 60%
Werribee 1-6, 81%
Preston 1-6, 61%
Coburg 0-8, 51%

Divide between the top 5 percentages and the bottom 7 is stark. Essendon have won 4 on the bounce however they have played only one top 8 side in that run in Geelong. Of the current top 8 they have a 1-2 record, and they have two bottom 7 sides the next fortnight, however I still feel Footscray will show their quality and rise up the ladder come the second half of the season.

Who's impressed at your club this season? Any shocks in the top 4/8? Collingwood are doing an excellent job with a severe lack of height in defence so far this season.

Not to the same extent, but a number of old Coburg supporters seem to be coming back week on week. Also plenty of volunteers about the place and pretty full social club pre and post match.

Go the mighty Lions!

I still harbor hopes of at least an "Association Conference" of sorts within the VFL structure made up of ex-VFA clubs currently playing as stand alone clubs in the VFL. Could play each other twice and the other clubs once per season.

Go the mighty Lions!

I still harbor hopes of at least an "Association Conference" of sorts within the VFL structure made up of ex-VFA clubs currently playing as stand alone clubs in the VFL. Could play each other twice and the other clubs once per season.
Best we're gonna get is a stand alone VFL with AFL reserves.

Tips for this round?

Box Hill should account for Werribee pretty comfortably
Geelong to be too strong for Preston
North should get over Sandringham
Essendon to win a tight one over Footscray
Richmond to claim the top of the table clash (can't see Collingwood matching their defensive height with Balta, CCJ and probably Bathie forward)
Williamstown in a tight win over Casey
Port to smash Frankston.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back