Socceroos 2018 WCQ THREAD-v HONDURAS FOR SPOT IN RUSSIA (Dates TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
D
how can soccer be taken seriously? I have tried to watch it, blokes rolling around in agony with cramp, stretcher coming out and players jumping off and coming back on to play it is the most unmanly sport going around and is laughable,managers and players being hysterical to referees it is just a drama play
don't bother watching then

I was going to say that perhaps things were blown a little out of proportion in regards to Honduras. After all, other nations have traveled there just fine.

However, there is one thing of note: World Cup qualification is on the line. Then again, they did qualify for the last two, so maybe it won't be as tense. I mean, it will be tense still.

I think it will be fine. Survive Honduras, and finish the job at home.

Said in another thread we should stay in a neighbouring country and fly in the day of the game. Belize would make sense. Seriously **** those Honduras campaigners, do not give them an inch.
Think the same too. Have training camp in a safer quiet country. Then day before travel through. Logics would be easier. I'm sure Cahill will know as well as many of the coaching staff from previous campaigns.

Nobody's called them "orientals" for a long time. Well nobody who doesn't think Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage speak a lot of sense.

Ok. I didn't know it was offensive. In fact I don't think it is unless it was said to be offensive which it clearly wasn't. Is that not what they are? Calling them Asians doesn't distinguish between Arabs and orientals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is wrong with the term? What would you call people from that particular area of Asia?

It's associated with the construction of the Orient/east (ME, Africa, Asia) as uncivilised, mysterious, corrupt, morally degenerate etc- the 'opposite' of the west/occident. The term isn't really used by anyone other than british empire nostalgists these days, but the ideas and their consequences remain- see justification of the iraq war, pretty much any western involvement with african countries.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orientalism_(book)

This message has been flogged a lot on FIFA’s Facebook pages, so many salty fansView attachment 427233

Reading through those Facebook threads I have two thoughts on this issue

1. This might be the most hilarious melt in the history of world sport.

2. Judging by their Facebook pics, I would be more than happy to commit to a thorough examination of both the playing surface and underlying structure of a significant number of female Syrian fans, some of them are smokin.

It's associated with the construction of the Orient/east (ME, Africa, Asia) as uncivilised, mysterious, corrupt, morally degenerate etc- the 'opposite' of the west/occident. The term isn't really used by anyone other than british empire nostalgists these days, but the ideas and their consequences remain- see justification of the iraq war, pretty much any western involvement with african countries.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orientalism_(book)

Yeah. All news to me. I knew them as Asians or orientals growing up and I never knew of such connotations. I am sure they describe themselves or their culture as oriental see the oriental tea house and a variety of other associated restaurants. Regardless, I meant nothing by it other than to describe them via locality. If you or others want to debate otherwise that's fine but it probably shouldn't be done here in a Football forum. Well anyway "those people" play different to the Arab peoples and I think Australia would have a better fist of it.

Reading through those Facebook threads I have two thoughts on this issue

1. This might be the most hilarious melt in the history of world sport.

2. Judging by their Facebook pics, I would be more than happy to commit to a thorough examination of both the playing surface and underlying structure of a significant number of female Syrian fans, some of them are smokin.

The irony. Malaca played like a recently erupted volcano

This calls for one man...

a34b29bd66ccf7d7a587fe8c5b89540c.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how can soccer be taken seriously? I have tried to watch it, blokes rolling around in agony with cramp, stretcher coming out and players jumping off and coming back on to play it is the most unmanly sport going around and is laughable,managers and players being hysterical to referees it is just a drama play

Don't cut yourself with that edge.

These parts of the game are horrible no doubt. Doesnt happen in all games, but when it does it sucks.

Comrades, going to close up this thread and start up a new one for the lead up to Honduras game. This thread has got a bit large and confusing and will no doubt be busy next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back