Socceroos 2018 WCQ THREAD-v HONDURAS FOR SPOT IN RUSSIA (Dates TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure it's just not a statement about the dates and venues of the next games? Am sure they'll comment on it but have they called a press conference specifically to address it?
I think everything is hitting the fan
3209d2a12a56fd4a88b7e0bef885daa7.jpg

"I am aware of reports today suggesting that I will step down as Head Coach of the Socceroos next month," Postecoglou said in a statement from Football Federation Australia.

"My sole focus is on preparing the team for our final two qualifying matches. I will not let anything compromise the team’s journey on getting to a fourth consecutive FIFA World Cup."

That's not a denial of the report
It was all he was ever going to say though. I don't mind it, I'd like to see a lot more people, especially in AFL, not give too much credit to reports where the source is someone close to person 'y'.

Maybe he has a solid offer from a European club and if he hangs around for Russia it might be delayed another year. For me that could be the only reason, be like putting in all the hard work to try and get laid and then when the girl/guy drops pants you run away.

NZ kissed on the dick too, Peru instead of Colombia or Chile. They are a chance.
Chile only have themselves to blame. Peru will get through comfortably IMO, they don't have Alexis but they are a team of players. Need to remember that NZ's last game was a 2-2 draw with the Solomon Islands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is EPL on Nov 4/5/6 and Nov 18/19/20/21.

Thus the weekend between is the FIFA playoff window. No way will we be playing on Monday 6th.

No clubs will be releasing their players for 2 weekends.

The games will straddle the following weekend Nov 11/12, as already reported, Thu 9th (a) and Tue 14th (h-Syd) makes sense.

Coaching candidates?
Blanc (why not aim high)
Klinsmann (why not aim high x 2)
Christophe Galtier (I thought he did a bloody good job at St Etienne)
Thomas Tuchel (Did awesome jobs for Mainz and Dortmund)

FFA aren't exactly flash with cash at the moment. Coaching at international is a different beast to club level. Can't dip in to the transfer market, challenging away legs around a massive continent.

Robbie Slater will campaign for his good friend Graham Arnold to make a return after his disastrous time as coach at the 2007 Asian Cup.

I wouldn't mind Ante Milicic as a fill in. As been assistant under Ange and at club level. Should have got the heart job but lost out in a jobs for the boys scenario to Aloisi. Respected him as a player.

Chile have more talent (IMO) than Uruguay, Colombia and Peru but missed out. Football is a funny thing.
It's incredibly tough to keep qualifying in South America though. There are no minnows there. Maybe Bolivia, but La Paz would also have to be one the worst places in the world for visiting teams. Get off the plane at 4100 metres, play at 3600 metres. yikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back