2018- What Went Wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

I love this club, it’s been a big part of my family for over half a century but I’m at a loss at where we are going. I understand the importance of finance and revenue. But when did somebody decide that this was more important that actually winning games of football. It’s easy to blame Koch and Co, but I’ll put it ou there. The whole board is responsible for our poor results. This club seems paralyzed in the inability to make the tough decisions. Panicking and resigning Hinkley last year, now Koch on public basically endorsing failure is not the club I grew up supporting. I’ll always support this club but I’m emotionally spent.

The games in China are a perfect example of business/profit over footy. At the very least travelling to China in the middle of a football season would have to be undesirable, if not completely disadvantageous for our players. The games in Darwin were bad enough.

What went wrong in 2018 was that it was yet another year of overpromising and under-delivering. Hopefully the game plan in 2019 gets a dramatic overhaul or it will be more of the same in 2019.

Our Players seem to hang around the middle of the ground instead of running forward to create options and space. I'd love to know why!

waiting for the inevitable turn over

We didn't put the boot in. We had good periods of play and then lost the match on too many occasions. We started with a 5-1 first quarter against the Hawks and then dropped our bundle. Forget the frees and fifties, we were lucky to be so close in that game. We had a dominant first quarter against Freo although it was not shown on the scoreboard, and again we dropped our bundle. We were lucky with Carlton, after a comfortable-ish first half we were lucky to get out of that one. Against West Coast we were skating till Paddy Ryder went down and then players were thrown out of position and we panicked in the end.
Our problems this year, and other years have come from sailing too close to the wind. We lose too many close games. The thing is, the solution is not to know how to win close games but to make sure you don't have them, and this will lead to winning them as well. Hawthorn win more close games than they lose but when they get into a close game it's the other team chasing them, not the other way around. And more close games are won by the team that's been ahead for most of the game. Protecting a lead by defending only is one of the worst ways to try to save a game, with the ball nearly perpetually in the other teams forward line it only takes one mistake to allow a goal.

As supporters we need to move away from this amateurish thinking and start being ruthless. We offering contacts to underachievers
Supporters don't offer contracts to players or coaches.

One suggestion for the bad year was the fact we may have run out of puff at the end due to the early bye. This is not really backed up, the China games have only been going for two years and last year we went 9-5 after the bye, so far we have gone 6-6 with one game to come. The bye was 1 game earlier in 2017 and we did not collapse in a heap like this year. Prior to that we had gone 4-5, 7-3, 7-7 and 7-5 after the bye. In 2014, when we were 7-1 before the bye and 7-7 after there was an early bye. All the bye can be said to do is allow a longer time for recovery in one particular week, such as the bye at the end of the season in 2016 which allowed the Dogs to get some of their best players back for the first final.

We didn't put the boot in. We had good periods of play and then lost the match on too many occasions. We started with a 5-1 first quarter against the Hawks and then dropped our bundle. Forget the frees and fifties, we were lucky to be so close in that game. We had a dominant first quarter against Freo although it was not shown on the scoreboard, and again we dropped our bundle. We were lucky with Carlton, after a comfortable-ish first half we were lucky to get out of that one. Against West Coast we were skating till Paddy Ryder went down and then players were thrown out of position and we panicked in the end.
Our problems this year, and other years have come from sailing too close to the wind. We lose too many close games. The thing is, the solution is not to know how to win close games but to make sure you don't have them, and this will lead to winning them as well. Hawthorn win more close games than they lose but when they get into a close game it's the other team chasing them, not the other way around. And more close games are won by the team that's been ahead for most of the game. Protecting a lead by defending only is one of the worst ways to try to save a game, with the ball nearly perpetually in the other teams forward line it only takes one mistake to allow a goal.
I agree with a lot said here. The most of our close wins and losses shouldn’t have been close- Brisbane, Adelaide, Hawthorn, West Coast, Fremantle- we should have had these games sown up well before it got close.

Got me thinking- are we too nice? Ken used to tout us as humble not arrogant. Our class of 2006- Gray, Boak, Westhoff would all probably get invited to dinner by opposition players. Not a Lou Codge amongst them. Name a Port player opposition would have to force themselves to shake hands with after the game?

I agree with a lot said here. The most of our close wins and losses shouldn’t have been close- Brisbane, Adelaide, Hawthorn, West Coast, Fremantle- we should have had these games sown up well before it got close.

Got me thinking- are we too nice? Ken used to tout us as humble not arrogant. Our class of 2006- Gray, Boak, Westhoff would all probably get invited to dinner by opposition players. Not a Lou Codge amongst them. Name a Port player opposition would have to force themselves to shake hands with after the game?
The pre-AFL Port was always the pacesetter, if we took a lead we extended it and If we trailed and then got back on even terms we rarely dropped back from there. And we made teams win instead of trying not to lose as well as winning the close games. One flag year we went 7-1 in games under 10 points, reverse that and we don't even make the finals.

No two ways about it, 2018 has been an absolute, categorical failure.

When you recruit more than 800 games experience spread amongst 6 players to an already mature age group, then that is unambiguously loading up for a full flag tilt and expecting September action.

Our coaches aren't rookies anymore either, six years as head coach for Hinkley and a five year apprenticeship for Voss at Brisbane is surely more than enough to know whats required now.

Par for the course is to make finals with that coach/player profile, to not make finals outright after being 11-4 is like binning a winning lottery ticket.

The cliff is fast approaching with the brake jammed, and the opportunity to do something with this group has almost evaporated, there's perhaps 1 more season left to have a real crack at the big time and thats if we have are lucky with injuries.

Our list depth is crap especially key position and ruck stocks. Rely too much on Dixon in the forward line and Ryder in ruck.
When we start blaming injuries just have a look at GWS and Collingwood how they have coped with a huge injury list, at the end of the day if our players had the composure to win close games we would be sitting in 4th spot this morning, end of story.
Our depth is crap because we traded/delisted all of our depth players ala Lobbe, Ah Chee, Young, Lobbe, O'Shea, Trengove, Impey, White, Monfries,Krakouer. That's a LOT of experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well we now have Lade's take on the 2018 debacle:

The Power have lost five of their past six games after sitting comfortably at 11-4 after 16 rounds. "We're doing a lot of things right, we're just a little bit inconsistent in making it to four quarters," Lade said. "Maybe we haven't jelled as a team. The inconsistencies in our performance probably show that and that's something we've got to work on."

You reckon? These idiot coaches just dont get it!!!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-20/power-not-giving-up-on-a-finals-miracle
Was 'jelled' in the article? Cripes can't anyone spell!

The games in China are a perfect example of business/profit over footy. At the very least travelling to China in the middle of a football season would have to be undesirable, if not completely disadvantageous for our players. The games in Darwin were bad enough.

What went wrong in 2018 was that it was yet another year of overpromising and under-delivering. Hopefully the game plan in 2019 gets a dramatic overhaul or it will be more of the same in 2019.
I’d love to be pessimistic and say it will. But they’ve said that for the last 3 years, we’ve recruited okay but somehow managed to go backwards.

I have to say that I enjoyed 2017 better :(

Even if we struggled against the better sides, we were far more enjoyable to watch than we were this year. At least we could put up big scores and put teams to the sword. There's only two occasions in 2018 where we did both of those things and scored big and put the opposition to the sword, Fremantle in Round 1 and Bulldogs at Adelaide Oval.

Not to mention that we're going to finish with at least one less win and no finals which is inconceivable given how well we recruited over the off-season.

I have to say that I enjoyed 2017 better :(

Even if we struggled against the better sides, we were far more enjoyable to watch than we were this year. At least we could put up big scores and put teams to the sword. There's only two occasions in 2018 where we did both of those things and scored big and put the opposition to the sword, Fremantle in Round 1 and Bulldogs at Adelaide Oval.

Not to mention that we're going to finish with at least one less win and no finals which is inconceivable given how well we recruited over the off-season.
I don't care what the stats say about our scoring in 2017 we were still horrible to watch we are just uglier now again.

Poor Skills and Lack of composure - We play onto into trouble. We handball to players under the pump. We constantly panic and take the wrong option. We miss targets and set our players up (Wingard2Dixon). Our kicking is deplorable. We miss regulation chances to ice games.

Terrible Forward Structure and Gameplan - This has been an issue for years now. A large number of our goals come from a rush of pressure acts before we eventually handball it to someone 15 metres out from goal who manages to get a kick off. We seem to need an indiviudal piece of brillance from Robbie or Chad before we have a chance to score. I feel like this also contributes to our lack of fourth quarter scoring - we have no easy avenue to goal when the game gets tight. How on earth a team with Gray, Wingard, Dixon, Watts, Motlop and Polec struggles to score I honestly have zero idea. Whoever is coaching our team to not take shots and pass off can leave now.

Lack of on field leadership - Losing almost every close game for years isn't some kind of statistical anomaly. We have reels and reels of evidence that our players simply cannot organise on the field. If we had Luke Hodge marshalling our backline, do we end up with Ebert standing their most dangerous target? Do our players continually bomb the ball back to West Coast in the Elim final? Does Dangerfield get clear in the goal square? On field leadership also means going back and kicking a crucial goal instead of passing it off.

Lack of a plug and play structure - The best we looked all year was playing our three tall forward structure against Free (granted it was Freo but still) so we don't go anywhere near replicating that for the rest of the year? We have all seen it time time again: Out : Ryder/Dixon In : Neade/Gray. The best teams have a game plan and stick to it. Us? Oh we decide to completely ruin our structure by having a makeshift trio of Rucks plucked from our most important positions.

Frampton - Not giving Frampton a game before now is just disastrous. We needed to know if he was an option. Instead we pinned our hopes on Ryder's Achilles and it came back to bite us in the biggest way possible. IF he had been tried earlier, we could potentially have given Paddy a few weeks off here and there. You cannot tell me he would be worse than Sam Gray, Neade or Thomas.

While the players are away on their hard earned and well deserved break I'm going to Alberton and breaking down the door to the weights room.

Dawned on me last night as my internet stream went to custard when the microwave was on. I reckon that great technological innovation of the last few weeks is responsible. Every time a heat pack or sausage roll was prepared, poor Ken Jr's data feed would have gone haywire. We all know the program is written to fail safe to "lock down defence", and so player instructions were muddled and confused.

Don't believe me? How many games have we won since that was introduced?? Coincidence? I think not :p
Underrated theory.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back