Winter 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang [9 Feb - 25 Feb]

Remove this Banner Ad

Well it’s been fun, see you all in the Tokyo 2020 thread!
Comm Games thread in 38 days, if I have done my maths correctly, should be a fun thread. I expect 7 to cop it again.

Has the Tongan qualified for the Comm Games??

Javelin ?
I didn't know he was a part time Aussie. It will be a home Comm Games for him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pita_Taufatofua

Taufatofua was born in Australia[2][3] on 5 November 1983[4] and raised in Tonga.[3] He attended Tonga Side School and Tonga High School,[5] and graduated from Saint Peter's Lutheran College in Brisbane in 2000.[6] His father is Tongan and his mother is Australian of British descent.[5] He began taekwondo at age five.[7] His childhood included such traditional Tongan activities as Saturday farmwork harvesting cassava
Taufatofua lives in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, where he trains six hours a day.[22] He works at Sandgate House training homeless children to develop independent living skills.[23] He has an engineering degree and is working on his master's degree.[8] He has also worked as a model since he was eighteen.[8]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These ones are pretty good, have really enjoyed the whole show...

..but this old girl is waiting up for PSY....he better put in an appearance!

Wrong time zone though. Most of the finals are right at night this time.

...yes, either that or out of favour with his government.

It would've been one helluva finish to the ceremony to bring out Gangnam Style and see the whole stadium dancing and singing along. Really surprised they didn't do it, missed a great opportunity.

They brought gangham style out during opening ceremony, so maybe why they didn't do it again.

I am surprised they didnt ask Psy or even BTS to perform usually at the closing ceremonies the organisers would always ask their well-known singers or bands to perform.

Bit surprised but meh the guitarist gave me a headache so I’m just glad the others didn’t.

It was a bit of a diminishing entity.. but we have all we need from life. so someone else's life is
ultimately a bit disappointing // it is all excitement and now it is all over. we are a born race of terminally bereft of satisfaction.

Would love to hear the thoughts of others! I enjoyed the last 2 weeks so much, you guys made it all the more enjoyable! So many laughs in this thread.

Favourite event:
Biathlon (surprise, surprise…). Fourcade winning 3 golds made it even better. Disappointed with the lack of coverage and the lack of spectators. For those who were new to it, watch a World Cup race in Germany, that’ll blow your mind.

Favourite Aussie medal: Graham. This is probably because it was the only one I watched live as it happened. But the moguls is an awesome event anyway and seeing an Aussie put down a final run like that under pressure to claim a medal was sensational.

Favourite moment: Hard to say as there were so many great moments. It would probably have to be the men’s hockey gold medal match because it surpassed all my expectations. That final period was absolutely crazy with the lead changes, late heroics, the tension.. If not this game it would’ve probably been Fourcade’s mass start victory or Kruger’s 30km skiathlon gold.

New favourite athlete: Probably Medvedeva as I really loved her routines and was so disappointed she didn’t win gold. Her reaction when her score came up and she saw that she just fell short was pretty heartbreaking. Hopefully she gets another shot but figure skating can be pretty fickle. Either her or Kiilani Craine, what a lovely girl she is.

Newly appreciated sport: Snowboard slope-style. That was just awesome, loved every minute of it. We just need an Aussie to be in the mix to take it to the next level!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back