2018- Year of the fend off

Remove this Banner Ad

mick500

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nearly every team has a player that can go the fend like old mate dusty now.

Amazing how something so simple has never been implemented so well.. Until dusty, now everyones having a crack at it, usually successully :handfist:

Cincinnatus

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nearly every team has a player that can go the fend like old mate dusty now.

Amazing how something so simple has never been implemented so well.. Until dusty, now everyones having a crack at it, usually successully :handfist:

Who the * is ours?

Old Stuckup

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea, 76s, Stars
Do we have one that can pull it off consistently? Stringer or Hooker maybe...

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Dustin? Get real. Old mate Cunnington was a pro years before people decided Martin was the "benchmark".

And I hate blowing my own trumpet because it tends to backfire.
This boys and girls, is how you make yourself look like a complete idiot.

Remember it's better to be silent and thought a fool than to open our mouth and remove all doubt.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Are you kidding me? The don't argue has been in the game for decades now.
I hear people say this, but being 30 I barely saw anyone do it, if ever, until dusty came into the game, despite watching plenty of footy the last 15-20 years.

I'm assuming it was something that was used around the 80s but fell away during the 90s until it was nearly gone in the 2000s.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
I hear people say this, but being 30 I barely saw anyone do it, if ever, until dusty came into the game, despite watching plenty of footy the last 15-20 years.

I'm assuming it was something that was used around the 80s but fell away during the 90s until it was nearly gone in the 2000s.
Do you only watch Richmond? Dane Swan use to do it regularly for us. As pointed out above, many other players who would also use it well before Martin.

Dustin? Get real. Old mate Cunnington was a pro years before people decided Martin was the "benchmark".

And I hate blowing my own trumpet because it tends to backfire.
Lol this one of the most bias posts I've ever seen

Dusty brought the technique back into popularity since his first season in the league. It's probably his biggest weapon, and that's saying something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

random260

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Wait where is our one? Redden isn't really that good at it and shuey well just ducks instead of fends.

But dusty is the best and fending off is probs the most best skill.

That's what separates the boys from the men. I remember in junior footy how the best player would fend off.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades

Dusty certainly is the most frequent user of the skill but I remember watching the likes of Jason Akamanis pulling it off against us ever time we played their lot.

******* lol.

Breust is quite good at the fend off. Think those that have a rugby background seem to get the technique down pat better than others but to say that Dusty was the pioneer - just lol

Little Gaz has been an expert for years, Acker, Gehrig, Rich, Dipper, Pavlich - just to name a few

XYZ123

All Australian
Apr 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I think the main difference is that these days some players (mainly midfielders) use it almost proactively to search for the tackler to put them off rather than reactively to stop a tackle.

Dusty is clearly the best at this, Cunnington is also very good and Powell-Pepper does this too. A number of other mids have started to bring this approach into their game like Cotchin, Breust and a few others.

You then still have your standard old school Dont Argue which mainly the key position players use when they are almost flat footed and stick their hand out and use their strength to stop a tackler charging them. Buddy immediately springs to mind. Tex Walker too and i think Tom McDonald also. Im sure there are a few others as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back