2018 Your Team's SC Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was bored shitless whilst traveling to and from Christmas gatherings so I did a thing.
I only bothered with predicting averages for players who are somewhat relevant.

DEF

Houli 517k D - Give him a miss for now, has always been an OK fantasy option in his time at the Tiges, coming in at his second highest starting price and has typically been a rollercoaster and is getting pretty old, if you want him you'll be able to get him cheaper during the year and you could do a lot worse than having Bachar as a POD D4-6.
Predicted average: 90

BEllis 502k D - Stunk at the start of last year, but got thrown back during the year and flourished, averaged 96 after the bye. His scores as a defender were much more consistent than what he used to put up as a mid (A 65, 78 and 79, then all scores of 90+). I'd assume he'll be the best SC backline option from the Tiges in '18. Has played 100+ games straight. Very solid pick, you'll get what you pay for with Brando.
Predicted average: 95

Rance 492k D - Rance is the most handsome man in the league. Despite my BIG LOVE for the man I've never picked him in SC because KPDs are usually pretty poo in SC (Hurley gets enough of the pill as the Dons love having him getting the rebound 50s to be worth picking). Sometimes Rance gets points for nothing, and other times he's a man mountain and gets garbage points.
Don't see his SC scores changing much at all.

Vlastuin 430k D - If you were around last year you would of seen me spruiking about Vlas, he was earmarked to finally move out of the dreaded back pocket and into the guts.
He did get a crack in the middle, but still wasn't up to it, he he cooked his shoulder against WC, was averaging 60 at the time.
He came back from the shoulder, but instead of playing as a BP he was up ground, playing a role similar to that of Yeo. He averaged 93 for the rest of the year.
Think he's a miles better player than BEllis, but BEllis would be a SC safer pick.
I'm picking Sicily who I think will have a similar output, but has the added bonus of DPP.

Astbury 402k - Don't.

McIntosh 358 - No.

Conca 344k - If you think 2018 will be the year where he finally plays more than 6 games without his hammy going twaaang, maybe pick him. In your Draft team. Maybe. With a very late pick. For a bench spot. Maybe.

Short 319k - Why would you even look at players in the price range.

Broad 312k - Suspended for the first few games due to T**ty pics so cross him off your list.

Grimes 302k - Grimes is my second favourite player, he's my 508th favourite SC player.

CEllis 228k D/M - Actually might be worth a shout. I'm a big fan of CEllis, so probably better to watch him for yourself in the praccy games. D/M status is a big plus. I'll most likely sneak him in if he's named for round 1.

Markov 205k - Don't think he'll feature round one, so you'll most likely get a good look at him in his first 2 games of the year and decided if it's worth it.

Garthwaite 123k - See Markov

Smith 102k - See Garthwaite

MIDS

Dusty 656k M - Lock him in.
Averaged 119 last year, then chuck in an extra 158, 118 and 150 for his finals series.
He's no longer just racking up posies across HB in a side that's getting pumped.
He's no longer running out of puff in the second half of the game.
He was the best player in the comp this year.
It's possible that he could get even better.
Even if you hate the Tiges it's worth picking Dusty so you can find a reason to watch him in action.
Has only missed about 4 games in his career. Pick him.
Predicted average: 120

Cotchin 550k M - Don't think he can get to his heights of his 2012 output anymore, mainly because Dusty steals all the points and sweet sweet scaling. Will continue to be a great player and solid scorer, but there's better SC value going around.
Solid choice for a Draft team, but don't see him being a top 10 scorer.
Predicted average: 100-105

Grigg 486k - Should of been a M/R. Absolute farce that he isnt. Good honest soldier, not SC relvant.

Lambert 472k M/F - Not even close to a starter for me, but with the fwds looking so bleak this year he might be a chance to sneak in to some teams.
Predicted average: 85

Prestia 456k M - STRONG CONSIDERATION.
Really struggled last year coming off no preseason, and hit his straps right at the arse end of the season. After his final rest for the season he went nuts with scores of 124, 126, 102, 90, 130, 89, and 114.
If he gets through the preseason unscathed this time round, I'll be trying to find a way to get him in.
Should be the Tiges second top scorer.
Predicted average: 105-110

Caddy 419k M/F: Came across to play more midfield, became Mr. Fix-it in the forwardline.
No thanks.

Edwards 414k: Doesn't get enough of the pill.

Miles 310k - Depth. Doesn't get a regular senior gig due to being one dimensional.

Menadue 301k - You know him, you love him, you still dream about that tonne in his second year. But you've gotta pass on him unless you want a rank with 6 digits.

Graham 268k - should of been cheaper. A very thicc lad who could still be a worth while cash cow, but it seems like we're gonna get a few good cheapies this year so probably best to give him a miss. Don't make Sloane your captain if Jack Graham is within 100km of him, I've heard he still has nightmares about him applying the clamps.

Higgins 130k M/F - I reckon he'll play early, round 1 early. Especially with Rioli too miss the first week (I reckon he'll miss a few more), will be a powerful rookie option, having DPP makes him a must have if he plays round 1.
Predicted average: 146

Naish 117k M/F - A ways off, if he gets a gig it'll be later and you'll get a good look before making a decision much like the Def Tiges rookies.

RUCK

Nank 488k - if for some crazy reason you aren't going NN/Gawn, he might be a decent pick.
Is durable and only young. Doesn't get a heap of hit outs, but when he gets on to them they are good. Loves intercept clunkers and forcing the ball out of stoppages using his big boi body.

Hampson 272k - unless the 272k gets you a date with Megan Gale, don't even consider it.

Soldo 228k - Still needs a few more years.

Balta/Coleman-Jones/Miller 117k - doubt any of these big boiz will get much of a go next year. Balta being the only one with DPP, and not even a good loophole draw, makes them unappealing.

FWD

Riewoldt 455k - If you think he's gonna bust out of the gates and kick a few bags maybe you could start with him and trade him at his peak price?
KPFs are also poo. Make him an emergency loopholer in Draft but that's about the best you'll get.

Lloyd 345k - Lock him in at F1 I in your VFL SuperCoach team.

Rioli 340k - Injured, and not putting out cousin Cyril like numbers, yet. Pass.

Butler 332k - was a great rookie, will never be picked in a non-auto-selected team ever again.

Godsend 321k - averaged 97.5 last year, you'd be mad not to pick him... (Doesn't get to play against Freo every week, so don't actually pick him). However, Townsend > Snake Leaver.

Castagna 297k - No deal.

Bolton 242k - Hope he becomes a regular but not SC relevant at all.

Griffiths 197k - His brain resembles a scrambled egg and he was already a crap scorer. Pass.

Drummond 172k - if anyone deserves some luck at Punt Road it's this kid, coming off two knee reconstructions, I actually have no idea where he's at training wise. Might be a downgrade target during the year.

Stengle 148k - can't fit 40 smalls into the team, Stengle might get a gig if one of the other smalls go down, but I wouldn't back him to make much coin.

Moore 133k - a few of the VFL watchers swear by this bloke, but if he gets a game he won't be a great scoring option unless he's kicking bags from day 1.

Chol 123k - isn't even DPP anymore. Chol will remain an a gag in this board and nothing more.

Baker 103k - List managers decided we needed EVEN MORE small forwards, which isn't too bad, but this bloke is probably at the bottom of the pecking order at the moment.

I was bored shitless whilst traveling to and from Christmas gatherings so I did a thing.
I only bothered with predicting averages for players who are somewhat relevant.

DEF

Houli 517k D - Give him a miss for now, has always been an OK fantasy option in his time at the Tiges, coming in at his second highest starting price and has typically been a rollercoaster and is getting pretty old, if you want him you'll be able to get him cheaper during the year and you could do a lot worse than having Bachar as a POD D4-6.

BEllis 502k D - Stunk at the start of last year, but got thrown back during the year and flourished, averaged 96 after the bye. His scores as a defender were much more consistent than what he used to put up as a mid (A 65, 78 and 79, then all scores of 90+). I'd assume he'll be the best SC backline option from the Tiges in '18. Has played 100+ games straight. Very solid pick, you'll get what you pay for with Brando.
Predicted average: 95

Rance 492k D - Rance is the most handsome man in the league. Despite my BIG LOVE for the man I've never picked him in SC because KPDs are usually pretty poo in SC (Hurley gets enough of the pill as the Dons love having him getting the rebound 50s to be worth picking). Sometimes Rance gets points for nothing, and other times he's a man mountain and gets garbage points.
Don't see his SC scores changing much at all.

Vlastuin 430k D - If you were around last year you would of seen me spruiking about Vlas, he was earmarked to finally move out of the dreaded back pocket and into the guts.
He did get a crack in the middle, but still wasn't up to it, he he cooked his shoulder against WC, was averaging 60 at the time.
He came back from the shoulder, but instead of playing as a BP he was up ground, playing a role similar to that of Yeo. He averaged 93 for the rest of the year.
Think he's a miles better player than BEllis, but BEllis would be a SC safer pick.
I'm picking Sicily who I think will have a similar output, but has the added bonus of DPP.

Astbury 402k - Don't.

McIntosh 358 - No.

Conca 344k - If you think 2018 will be the year where he finally plays more than 6 games without his hammy going twaaang, maybe pick him. In your Draft team. Maybe. With a very late pick. For a bench spot. Maybe.

Short 319k - Why would you even look at players in the price range.

Broad 312k - Suspended for the first few games due to T**ty pics so cross him off your list.

Grimes 302k - Grimes is my second favourite player, he's my 508th favourite SC player.

CEllis 228k D/M - Actually might be worth a shout. I'm a big fan of CEllis, so probably better to watch him for yourself in the praccy games. D/M status is a big plus. I'll most likely sneak him in if he's named for round 1.

Markov 205k - Don't think he'll feature round one, so you'll most likely get a good look at him in his first 2 games of the year and decided if it's worth it.

Garthwaite 123k - See Markov

Smith 102k - See Garthwaite

MIDS

Dusty 656k M - Lock him in.
Averaged 119 last year, then chuck in an extra 158, 118 and 150 for his finals series.
He's no longer just racking up posies across HB in a side that's getting pumped.
He's no longer running out of puff in the second half of the game.
He was the best player in the comp this year.
It's possible that he could get even better.
Even if you hate the Tiges it's worth picking Dusty so you can find a reason to watch him in action.
Has only missed about 4 games in his career. Pick him.
Predicted average: 120

Cotchin 550k M - Don't think he can get to his heights of his 2012 output anymore, mainly because Dusty steals all the points and sweet sweet scaling. Will continue to be a great player and solid scorer, but there's better SC value going around.
Solid choice for a Draft team, but don't see him being a top 10 scorer.
Predicted average: 100-105

Grigg 486k - Should of been a M/R. Absolute farce that he isnt. Good honest soldier, not SC relvant.

Lambert 472k M/F - Not even close to a starter for me, but with the fwds looking so bleak this year he might be a chance to sneak in to some teams.
Predicted average: 85

Prestia 456k M - STRONG CONSIDERATION.
Really struggled last year coming off no preseason, and hit his straps right at the arse end of the season. After his final rest for the season he went nuts with scores of 124, 126, 102, 90, 130, 89, and 114.
If he gets through the preseason unscathed this time round, I'll be trying to find a way to get him in.
Should be the Tiges second top scorer.
Predicted average: 105-110

Caddy 419k M/F: Came across to play more midfield, became Mr. Fix-it in the forwardline.
No thanks.

Edwards 414k: Doesn't get enough of the pill.

Miles 310k - Depth. Doesn't get a regular senior gig due to being one dimensional.

Menadue 301k - You know him, you love him, you still dream about that tonne in his second year. But you've gotta pass on him unless you want a rank with 6 digits.

Graham 268k - should of been cheaper. A very thicc lad who could still be a worth while cash cow, but it seems like we're gonna get a few good cheapies this year so probably best to give him a miss. Don't make Sloane your captain if Jack Graham is within 100km of him, I've heard he still has nightmares about him applying the clamps.

Higgins 130k M/F - I reckon he'll play early, round 1 early. Especially with Rioli too miss the first week (I reckon he'll miss a few more), will be a powerful rookie option, having DPP makes him a must have if he plays round 1.
Predicted average: 146

Naish 117k M/F - A ways off, if he gets a gig it'll be later and you'll get a good look before making a decision much like the Def Tiges rookies.

RUCK

Nank 488k - if for some crazy reason you aren't going NN/Gawn, he might be a decent pick.
Is durable and only young. Doesn't get a heap of hit outs, but when he gets on to them they are good. Loves intercept clunkers and forcing the ball out of stoppages using his big boi body.

Hampson 272k - unless the 272k gets you a date with Megan Gale, don't even consider it.

Soldo 228k - Still needs a few more years.

Balta/Coleman-Jones/Miller 117k - doubt any of these big boiz will get much of a go next year. Balta being the only one with DPP, and not even a good loophole draw, makes them unappealing.

FWD

Riewoldt 455k - If you think he's gonna bust out of the gates and kick a few bags maybe you could start with him and trade him at his peak price?
KPFs are also poo. Make him an emergency loopholer in Draft but that's about the best you'll get.

Lloyd 345k - Lock him in at F1 I in your VFL SuperCoach team.

Rioli 340k - Injured, and not putting out cousin Cyril like numbers, yet. Pass.

Butler 332k - was a great rookie, will never be picked in a non-auto-selected team ever again.

Godsend 321k - averaged 97.5 last year, you'd be mad not to pick him... (Doesn't get to play against Freo every week, so don't actually pick him). However, Townsend > Snake Leaver.

Castagna 297k - No deal.

Bolton 242k - Hope he becomes a regular but not SC relevant at all.

Griffiths 197k - His brain resembles a scrambled egg and he was already a crap scorer. Pass.

Drummond 172k - if anyone deserves some luck at Punt Road it's this kid, coming off two knee reconstructions, I actually have no idea where he's at training wise. Might be a downgrade target during the year.

Stengle 148k - can't fit 40 smalls into the team, Stengle might get a gig if one of the other smalls go down, but I wouldn't back him to make much coin.

Moore 133k - a few of the VFL watchers swear by this bloke, but if he gets a game he won't be a great scoring option unless he's kicking bags from day 1.

Chol 123k - isn't even DPP anymore. Chol will remain an a gag in this board and nothing more.

Baker 103k - List managers decided we needed EVEN MORE small forwards, which isn't too bad, but this bloke is probably at the bottom of the pecking order at the moment.

Higgins a lock averaging 146.

Chol would definitely make you gag.

I’ll only talk about relevant players. Won’t talk about rookies as they’re the same for most clubs, all wait and see until NAB.

Johannisen - I think we all saw what he can do in 2016, he’s got the potential to be just under that Laird/Yeo bracket. Worked his way through that horror month where he was basically bullied on the field and actually scored well in the last 6 rounds or so. I think he’s a good option but that tagging risk is always gonna be there. Predicted average: 90

Wood - I think he’s relevant as far as he’s very underpriced. He’s shown in the past he exels when he’s captain, and he was smashed with injury last year. Didn’t have a preseason cos his ankle was cooked. He’ll never be a top 10 defenders, but he’s about 20 points underpriced. Predicted average: 87

Macrae - think he’s a ripping pick. Only have to look at his scores last year to see why. Can go huge and is super consistent. Only thing is you can get Pendles, Selwood, JPK etc for less coin and they’ve all been super promos in the past. I think everyone who had him last year knows what he offers and he’s still only 23. Predicted average: 109

Bontempelli - He’ll be our highest averaging player. Struggled at times last year, but I think we forget he’s only in his fourth season. He actually wasn’t that bad last year outside of a handful of games. Has had a full preseason and this hip complaint hasn’t been reported anywhere other than Bigfooty. Kicks goals, lays tackles, doesn’t waste a touch. And the thing that stands out for me is he can ton up with only 20 touches. Can’t go wrong here. Predicted average: 112

Liberatore - looks like he actually gives a s**t this preseason. Was fat and weird last year, and even though he actually started well he completely lost the plot when Mumford tired to crush his spine (dunno why gws players are allowed to kick/try to kill dogs players, but that’s a story for another day). He’s definitely underpriced and even though I think he’ll have a scoring year around 2016 and not 2013/14 he’s still an okay pick. Just in that awkward space where you’d probably rather a Coniglio type. I won’t be picking him, but if you did it could pay off. Predicted average: 94

Dahlhaus - I’ve had him every year since I can remember, this might be the first I don’t. Still a gun player, but the emergence of McLean has meant more time for him up forward. I think he’s a good upgrade target in the sense that even if he does play midfield he won’t sky rocket in price, so no hard waiting to see where he plays the first five or so weeks. Predicted average: 91

McLean - this is the big one for me. Without providing the data his scores sky rocketed once he moved into the midfield post bye. He’s a gun. I honestly think he’ll be a top 5 forward and I can only confidently say Heeney and Bud will average more. His game is prefect for SC. Get on. Predicted average: 100

Wallis - potentially a great sc scorer, but he just doesn’t score well with Lib in the team. Look at the game he played vs Geelong last year when Lib was out... he killed it. But there isn’t enough contested ball for both of them. Will improve due to having a preseason but not enough. Predicted average: 86

Josh Dunkley - if you’re not picking Dahl or McLean then he’s a real option. We saw in his first season he can definitely score as last year he had a mare with a shoulder reconstruction. Looks noticeably bigger and I think can take a big step up. Only have to look at his game vs hawthorn in 2016 to see the potential. Won’t be a top 10 forward but I prefer him to a Ah Chee Predicted average: 84

So I’d say the top options to start with are
McLean
Bontempelli
Macrae
Dunkley

I think everyone else who is relevant you should atleast have a look at for role etc.

Pittard - had his one good year back a couple of years ago. Our even spread of running defenders sees it hard for him to be consistent and consistently in the 90s. Better options for his price.

Hartlett - Bulked up a bit over the pre season, but like Pittard, our even spread of attacking defenders makes it hard for him to be consistently in the 90s.

Lienert - Big one for me. He was upgraded late last year, but didn’t play. Plays tall and small and has a booming left foot. Would have been close to playing this year had Howard not dominated late last year down back.

Ebert - Starts like a house on fire, then kinda stagnates. Could do a lot worse than Ebert, but with Beams 4k more expensive and JPK/Hanners/Cripps all around that price, better options around. Good POD.

Wines - Here is hoping he makes the big step up to 110+ average. Possible if he improves his kicking. Having Ryder is a big plus. Watch and see.

Rockliff - Absolute pig as we have seen. Likes getting injured at key points of the season for some. Think with a dominant ruck, no captaincy and having a better midfield around him will see him flourish. Will split time between mid and forward, but expecting a 105 average from Rocky.

Wingard - Inclusions of Rockliff and Motlop make it hard to see Wingard being a relevant top 6 forward or top 20 mid. Will have some brilliant games where he wins games of his own boot, but will have some lowly ones as well. Better options around his price in both mid and fwd.

Ryder - Slim pickings in rucks this year. All have question marks and the only thing stopping people picking Paddy is his shitty round 10 bye. But you will get what you pay for with Ryder. AA ruck last year and has one of the most talented midfields at his disposal. 100-105 average for the big man, top 2 ruck.

Gray - can’t see him being relevant unfortunately, with the inclusions of Rockliff/Motlop and Watts. Will still get a 85-95 average from him, but better options at his price.

Dixon - KPF, 150 one week, 20 the next. Nuff said

Boak - Skipper was pushed to a half forward/wing role last year. Expect the same this year. Pass

Locks:

Michael Hibberd (DEF) - $545,200 - Coming off an AA season.*
Max Gawn (RUC) - $503,700
- Somewhat discounted due to injury last season.*
Christian Petracca (MID/FWD)
- $433,300 - Set for more time in the MID.*
Joel Smith (MID/DEF) - $152,500
- Dirt cheap for a player that is borderline best 22.*

Strongly Considering:

Tom McDonald (DEF/FWD) - $465,800 - Will spend majority of time in the FWD line, however also being trained up for some time in the MID.
Christian Salem (DEF) - $437,100 - Should play through the MID. Too awkwardly priced for my liking.
Jesse Hogan (FWD) - $383,200 - After the year from hell he went through, he's due for some luck. A Jarryd Roughead-esque cash cow.
Angus Brayshaw (MID/DEF) - $316,700 - Finally hitting some form after an injury ravaged career. Just not sure if he's worth it in SC.*
Sam Weideman (FWD) - $175,300
- Dirt cheap for a player that we'll be looking to play most games. He is a KPF however, so possibly not worth it.
Bayley Fritsch (FWD) - $117,300 - Best Young Player Award in the VFL last year. I expect him to play up to half the season's games. However we do have many players of this size vying for spots in the team up forward.*

Upgrade Targets:

Clayton Oliver (MID) - $612,800 - Too high priced to start for my liking. Look to grab him at 100k less than that.

Downgrade Targets:

Charlie Spargo (MID/FWD) - $117,300 - Small, fast and compared to Toby Greene (albeit not a flog like Greene). The 4th Generation former GWS Academy prospect who is touted to be the next Boomer Harvey is coming off his first ever injury (a shoulder injury). Look to grab him later in the season if he kills it in the VFL and stakes his claim for the best 22. With our growing depth, he might find it tricky to break in though.
Oskar Baker (FWD) - $117,300 - The Dees' new cult figure. The Ginger Ninja could very well see some footy early on in the season. He tore it apart in the Auskick (Whoops, I meant NEAFL) last year for Aspley. Quick and can be used on the wing, half forward and forward pocket. He is probably the type of player the MFC has been missing up forward to compliment Jeffrey.

Too Awkwardly Priced (Not Sure If Worth It):

Nathan Jones (MID) - $554,900 - Just turned 30. As he winds down into the final few years of his career, I think we might start to play him up forward a bit more, because he's a great shot at goal.
Jack Viney (MID) - $496,900 - Consistent 90+ average the last few seasons on SC. Great player, coming off an injury plagued season. Still waiting for that breakout year SC-wise. Could this be the year?
Jordan Lewis (MID) - $479,800 - Will play DEF this year. SC average has been dropping season to season anyway. Probably looking at 70-80 average in 2018.
Cam Pedersen (RUC/FWD) - $471,700 - Breakout season last year when we were plagued with injury in the RUC department. Will be in & out of the 22 this year, as we look for Weideman to cement his spot in the 22.
Dom Tyson (MID) - $447,100 - With our ever growing list and his issues with turning the ball over, don't be surprised if he to comes in and out of the side every few weeks.
Jake Lever (DEF) - $434,300 - The 2017 Grand Finalist's average has been climbing season to season. Bit of a wait and watch to see how he works with O-Mac/Frost down back.
Alex Neal-Bullen (FWD) - $414,900 - One of the top players for pressure acts in the comp. Does love a turnover every other game though. 50-70 or so average on SC. Not particularly SC relevant, unless he goes to another level in 18'.
James Harmes (MID/FWD) - $402,600 - See above. Steady increase in SC output each season, however growing list of similar players.
Jayden Hunt (DEF) - $389,600 - Feeling like a broken record now. Breakout season last year, can the pacy bastard go one better in 18'?
Jeff Garlett (FWD) - $381,400 - Best he's averaged throughout his career is around the ~70 mark. Will the bolstered support up forward assist his SC output to be more Rioli/Betts-esque.. wait and see.
Nev Jetta (DEF) - $372,100 - Mr. Consistent and one of the most constantly underrated players in the entire comp. Averages of scores in the 60s doesn't particularly make him SC relevant.
Mitch Hannan (MID/FWD) - $303,800 - Averaged in the 50s in his first season. His position in the 22 could be tested this season due to the aforementioned ever-growing depth in this area.
Aaron vandenBerg (FWD) - $244,400 - Bargain basement price after missing 2017 due to injury. Averaged 75 and 63 in his first two years respectively. Will need to kill it in the VFL, before staking his claim for that best 22 medium forward/bench spot this year.
Corey Maynard (MID) - $237,500 - I'm super shattered that they upped his price so much from $102k last year after a singular game where he scored 72. Was hoping he was cheaper to be a great POD that many may have missed. Expecting big things from this chap.

Don't Bother:

Bernie Vince (DEF) - $407,100 - Likely headed into his final year. Needs to work on not being such a selfish player. Will be pushed out to an emergency/fringe player in 2018. Losing SC relevance greatly.
Billy Stretch (MID) - $392,800 - I love Billy, but has become a depth player. Will be a great long term servant to the Dees, however will need to kill it in the VFL to break into and cement his spot in the best 22.
Oscar McDonald (DEF) - $383,500 - Similar to his brother, he's been copping a lot of flack in his first few years. Had quite a breakout season in 2018 and the addition of Lever should greatly assist him down back. KPDs not generally relevant for SC. Will need to change his game a bit, and further build on his rig to become relevant in the fantasy football community.
Jake Melksham (FWD) - $357,900 - Awkward price for a player that will be in and out of the 22 week to week.
Sam Frost (DEF) - $357,700 - How much game time he gets will depend on our structures down back. O-Mac and Lever seems to be the pairing we will go with. However, we may opt for a 3 tall back formation to include old mate Frosty Nips. Awkward price and scoring output because KPD though. Love his pace however.
Tomas Bugg (FWD) - $334,300 - Awkward priced depth player who will need to earn back respect from his teammates, the club and the fans this season. Will need to kill it in the VFL before he gets a look in.
Josh Wagner (DEF) - $315,200 - Has been pushed to the depths of our depth. Very doubtful he'll get a game in the AFL in 2018, unless he does something spectacular in the VFL or if (touch wood) we have a plethora of injuries this year.
Dean Kent (FWD) - $296,900 - Playing for his career in 2018. Doubtful he'll get a look in. Has been the centre of too many controversies in recent times.
Jay Kennedy-Harris (MID) - $272,100 - See above. Both will need to change their craft this season and look to provide something unique or both will be on the chopping block end of year.
Harley Balic (MID/FWD) - $252,900 - As a well known doubter of the homesick bloke we got for peanuts. The bloke many are dubbing Viv Michie 2.0 will need to set the VFL on fire to enter our best 22 (as opposed to how the media think he'll slot right in).
Dion Johnstone (MID/FWD) - $123,900 - Jeffrey's possible apprentice started doing quite well in the VFL end of last year. He'll need to keep it up to push his way in through the many players in the list of depth ahead of him.
Dec Keilty (DEF) - $123,900 - 4th/5th in line for the tall defender spot (if we had that many issues, we'd move T-Mac back). Although a la Johnstone, he was killing it in the VFL last year and was listed as an emergency late last year. Keep up his form in the VFL and he might see a debut in 2018. Very versatile player too, can play anywhere (DEF/RUC/FWD).
Tim Smith (FWD) - $123,900 - Played a handful of games last season due to our injury issues up FWD. Not too sure he'll get much of a look in. Probably 2n d or 3rd choice for rookie upgrade. Also coming off rib, lung and navicular injuries.
Mitch King (RUC) - $123,900 - Touch wood we won't need him this year, although i'd love it if he does bits in the VFL. Should Gawn go down again, Pedo is the second in line for RUC duties. Should anything happen to the both of them, we'd either have to send T-Mac in the RUC or it would finally be time to give King or Keilty a call up. Still fairly raw and not sold on him making it at AFL level. Happy to be proven wrong though.
Lachie Filipovic (RUC) - $123,900 - Gawny has big raps on Flippa, but the last choice for a rookie upgrade is still extremely raw and had various issues with injuries last season. 4th/5th in line for RUC duties at the Dees.
Pat McKenna (DEF) - $123,900 - This is an intriguing one. Confused all when we got him for peanuts from GWS the other year. The former Pick 23 and former Australian Under 19s Cricket Captain has been hampered by hamstring issues. Will need to put his wares on show in the VFL this year once he's 100% to throw his hat in the ring for a call up.
Harry Petty (DEF) - $117,300 - 5th/6th in line for the role of tall defender. Coming off a couple injuries. The pick which came from nowhere, Haz's aim will be to work on his craft at VFL level over the next couple seasons to earn a call up to help out down back.

* = currently in my SC team

Cripps - 537k

Injury free preseason, coming into his 5th season, I think he can be a top 5-8 mid with cheap starting price, it's all upside for Cripps.

Garlett - 117k

Said to be impressing on the track, obvious talent so will be given opportunities over your Wrights and Jed Lambs.

Dow - 194k

Said to be really impressing on the track, likely to be thrown in the deep end and be a midfield starter rd1

They are the only Carlton players I'm considering, with Cripps a certainty with Dow and Garlett maybes.

Love Charlie Curnow, but at 408k as a 3 year key forward, he is not for me.

Will give West Coast a bit of a go.
I don't think we have many must-have gun players

We don’t have a lot of top-end talent that suits SC, with Kennedy and Nic Nat being underdone I can’t recommend either.

If you’re looking at getting players from West Coast it’s either rookies or a POD.

I could only strongly recommend 1 player:

Elliott Yeo – DEF - $561,300: Likely to yet again be one of our top scorers, as a defender he’s very close to a lock. Depending on how you structure your team, if you don’t get him at the start you’ll want to get him in eventually, almost a certainty for a top 6 defenders.

There are a few others who have a chance of being up there, but are likely to be a step below the top echelon:

Jeremy McGovern – DEF - $498,800: Should be a permanent fixture down back where he excels. Will get most of his points from intercept marks and kicks as usual but the scope for improvement is not huge. So far from training there is no indication he won’t continue to be used as a intercept mark, our gameplan is generally about pressuring the opposition to kick long where we can use McGovern/Yeo/Barrass to use their strengths, I expect this to continue.

Luke Shuey – MID - $529,100: Will benefit from Naitanui coming back, but the big question is how he goes with no Priddis (or Mitchell). The midfield of West Coast is still a big weakness in terms of top end inside talent, and he will be the #1 man to get tagged, where he can sometimes struggle. The sample size of how Shuey goes without Priddis isn’t large, last year in 3 games without Priddis he got 85 (WB), 121 (Bris), 79 (Stk) – so not like he really steps up. He could be a good POD, while he does have the big game in him, he lacks consistency throughout the year to be given the nod.

Josh Kennedy – FWD - $514,200: Wait and see on him, definitely not for your initial team given his injury. We should therefore get 2 games to see how he comes back before we decide to trade up to him, certainly keep him on the radar.

Nic Naitanui – RUC - $465,900: He could be the #1 ruck, he could be middling as he battles to get back into the swing of it, he could get injured again and hardly play. High risk, high reward – I wouldn’t touch him given he’s been on a modified program all pre-season. He’s done A LOT of running for a long time now so should be pretty fit, but a big man like that coming back from a serious knee injury is just not someone I want in my team. I hope I’m wrong!

A few players out of left-field...

Liam Duggan – DEF - $356,700: Found a place in the team on the HB flank, a highly regarded young player who is still finding his feet but showed a bit last year. He’s had praise from Mitchell, the coaches and others for his work ethic at training and while he’s settled at the HBF, there is still hope he develops into a midfielder. A full pre-season should continue to help his development, whether he’s got the 90+ avg in him, probably not, but I think he’s going to surprise.

Brendon Ah Chee – MID/FWD - $255,100: Not a great deal has been said about him throughout the pre-season so it’d be a risky buy. However, he definitely fills a need at West Coast and was traded in for a reason. Another highly rated player as a youngster, he was never able to crack the Port midfield, but will be given a go at West Coast. Price probably takes him out of the equation as a buy, but could be good for a Draft League.

Dom Sheed – MID - $459,500: Disappointed he didn’t get FWD status, as that probably rules him out of selection. He scores well when on the ground, but just doesn’t get enough minutes (avg 73% TOG). Sheed has had a few injuries which have held him back fitness wise, and he’s been forced to play a difficult half forward role. With the exit of Prid/Mitch he should be given greater game time and more time in the guts where he can excel. Another who might be better in a Draft League or a real long shot POD.

The rookies:

This is where the majority of people should be looking at West Coast, there is potentially 3 or 4 rookies who could make your team.

Dan Venables – FWD - $123,900: If he plays, get him – simple as that. A good pre-season with no injuries, played a bit of WAFL last year where he was very good in most matches. Should play and if he does will do well.

Liam Ryan – FWD - $117,300: A star of the WAFL, he has the potential to be a match winner which means big points. No doubt you’ll have to cop a few 20-30 point games, but he’ll generally do alright and should feature prominently in our team.

Willie Rioli – FWD - $123,900: He’s fitter and hungrier than ever – will kick goals, but will probably not do a lot else. Still a worthy selection for your forward line as I expect we’ll get a lot of games into him

I can see us playing all 3 at once if their form and fitness allows. We will especially be looking for new avenues for goal with Kennedy injured, Le Cras getting older and our overall poor performance last year.

Even at training so far there has been a lot of work done to bring the crumbers into the game, so it’s a definite tactic to use these smaller blokes in the forward line.

There is a chance that one of Jake Waterman or Mathew Allen could also get a game. Waterman was emg at the end of the year which is a small indication that he’s at least in consideration. As mentioned with JK and Le Cras on the outer we may look to get game time into a taller player. But these two I would be a little more sceptical over.

Other guys you could consider but personally I wouldn’t bother:

Lycett – Injuries have been tough for him, if Naitanui goes down he could be a good choice.

Gaff – Good for DT, not so much for SC.

Redden – Will get more opportunity, but not going to be pulling a 100+ avg.

Hutchings – While his sponsor on the West Coast board will continue to make out he’s better than Ablett…he’s not. Shouldn’t be getting games if the team is to move forward. Has in the past averaged a lot more than his current $282,000 asking price, but isn’t guaranteed a game, or high points.

Hurn - The greatest player who no will pick Here2tellyouwhy

Will give West Coast a bit of a go.
I don't think we have many must-have gun players

We don’t have a lot of top-end talent that suits SC, with Kennedy and Nic Nat being underdone I can’t recommend either.

If you’re looking at getting players from West Coast it’s either rookies or a POD.

I could only strongly recommend 1 player:

Elliott Yeo – DEF - $561,300: Likely to yet again be one of our top scorers, as a defender he’s very close to a lock. Depending on how you structure your team, if you don’t get him at the start you’ll want to get him in eventually, almost a certainty for a top 6 defenders.

There are a few others who have a chance of being up there, but are likely to be a step below the top echelon:

Jeremy McGovern – DEF - $498,800: Should be a permanent fixture down back where he excels. Will get most of his points from intercept marks and kicks as usual but the scope for improvement is not huge. So far from training there is no indication he won’t continue to be used as a intercept mark, our gameplan is generally about pressuring the opposition to kick long where we can use McGovern/Yeo/Barrass to use their strengths, I expect this to continue.

Luke Shuey – MID - $529,100: Will benefit from Naitanui coming back, but the big question is how he goes with no Priddis (or Mitchell). The midfield of West Coast is still a big weakness in terms of top end inside talent, and he will be the #1 man to get tagged, where he can sometimes struggle. The sample size of how Shuey goes without Priddis isn’t large, last year in 3 games without Priddis he got 85 (WB), 121 (Bris), 79 (Stk) – so not like he really steps up. He could be a good POD, while he does have the big game in him, he lacks consistency throughout the year to be given the nod.

Josh Kennedy – FWD - $514,200: Wait and see on him, definitely not for your initial team given his injury. We should therefore get 2 games to see how he comes back before we decide to trade up to him, certainly keep him on the radar.

Nic Naitanui – RUC - $465,900: He could be the #1 ruck, he could be middling as he battles to get back into the swing of it, he could get injured again and hardly play. High risk, high reward – I wouldn’t touch him given he’s been on a modified program all pre-season. He’s done A LOT of running for a long time now so should be pretty fit, but a big man like that coming back from a serious knee injury is just not someone I want in my team. I hope I’m wrong!

A few players out of left-field...

Liam Duggan – DEF - $356,700: Found a place in the team on the HB flank, a highly regarded young player who is still finding his feet but showed a bit last year. He’s had praise from Mitchell, the coaches and others for his work ethic at training and while he’s settled at the HBF, there is still hope he develops into a midfielder. A full pre-season should continue to help his development, whether he’s got the 90+ avg in him, probably not, but I think he’s going to surprise.

Brendon Ah Chee – MID/FWD - $255,100: Not a great deal has been said about him throughout the pre-season so it’d be a risky buy. However, he definitely fills a need at West Coast and was traded in for a reason. Another highly rated player as a youngster, he was never able to crack the Port midfield, but will be given a go at West Coast. Price probably takes him out of the equation as a buy, but could be good for a Draft League.

Dom Sheed – MID - $459,500: Disappointed he didn’t get FWD status, as that probably rules him out of selection. He scores well when on the ground, but just doesn’t get enough minutes (avg 73% TOG). Sheed has had a few injuries which have held him back fitness wise, and he’s been forced to play a difficult half forward role. With the exit of Prid/Mitch he should be given greater game time and more time in the guts where he can excel. Another who might be better in a Draft League or a real long shot POD.

The rookies:

This is where the majority of people should be looking at West Coast, there is potentially 3 or 4 rookies who could make your team.

Dan Venables – FWD - $123,900: If he plays, get him – simple as that. A good pre-season with no injuries, played a bit of WAFL last year where he was very good in most matches. Should play and if he does will do well.

Liam Ryan – FWD - $117,300: A star of the WAFL, he has the potential to be a match winner which means big points. No doubt you’ll have to cop a few 20-30 point games, but he’ll generally do alright and should feature prominently in our team.

Willie Rioli – FWD - $123,900: He’s fitter and hungrier than ever – will kick goals, but will probably not do a lot else. Still a worthy selection for your forward line as I expect we’ll get a lot of games into him

I can see us playing all 3 at once if their form and fitness allows. We will especially be looking for new avenues for goal with Kennedy injured, Le Cras getting older and our overall poor performance last year.

Even at training so far there has been a lot of work done to bring the crumbers into the game, so it’s a definite tactic to use these smaller blokes in the forward line.

There is a chance that one of Jake Waterman or Mathew Allen could also get a game. Waterman was emg at the end of the year which is a small indication that he’s at least in consideration. As mentioned with JK and Le Cras on the outer we may look to get game time into a taller player. But these two I would be a little more sceptical over.

Other guys you could consider but personally I wouldn’t bother:

Lycett – Injuries have been tough for him, if Naitanui goes down he could be a good choice.

Gaff – Good for DT, not so much for SC.

Redden – Will get more opportunity, but not going to be pulling a 100+ avg.

Hutchings – While his sponsor on the West Coast board will continue to make out he’s better than Ablett…he’s not. Shouldn’t be getting games if the team is to move forward. Has in the past averaged a lot more than his current $282,000 asking price, but isn’t guaranteed a game, or high points.

Hurn - The greatest player who no will pick Here2tellyouwhy
I'm picking Hurn in all my preseason teams so I don't feel bad come lockout and he's turned into McGovern :oops:

Pittard - had his one good year back a couple of years ago. Our even spread of running defenders sees it hard for him to be consistent and consistently in the 90s. Better options for his price.

Hartlett - Bulked up a bit over the pre season, but like Pittard, our even spread of attacking defenders makes it hard for him to be consistently in the 90s.

Lienert - Big one for me. He was upgraded late last year, but didn’t play. Plays tall and small and has a booming left foot. Would have been close to playing this year had Howard not dominated late last year down back.

Ebert - Starts like a house on fire, then kinda stagnates. Could do a lot worse than Ebert, but with Beams 4k more expensive and JPK/Hanners/Cripps all around that price, better options around. Good POD.

Wines - Here is hoping he makes the big step up to 110+ average. Possible if he improves his kicking. Having Ryder is a big plus. Watch and see.

Rockliff - Absolute pig as we have seen. Likes getting injured at key points of the season for some. Think with a dominant ruck, no captaincy and having a better midfield around him will see him flourish. Will split time between mid and forward, but expecting a 105 average from Rocky.

Wingard - Inclusions of Rockliff and Motlop make it hard to see Wingard being a relevant top 6 forward or top 20 mid. Will have some brilliant games where he wins games of his own boot, but will have some lowly ones as well. Better options around his price in both mid and fwd.

Ryder - Slim pickings in rucks this year. All have question marks and the only thing stopping people picking Paddy is his shitty round 10 bye. But you will get what you pay for with Ryder. AA ruck last year and has one of the most talented midfields at his disposal. 100-105 average for the big man, top 2 ruck.

Gray - can’t see him being relevant unfortunately, with the inclusions of Rockliff/Motlop and Watts. Will still get a 85-95 average from him, but better options at his price.

Dixon - KPF, 150 one week, 20 the next. Nuff said

Boak - Skipper was pushed to a half forward/wing role last year. Expect the same this year. Pass
What are your thoughts on Bonner re game time and potential scoring output?

Have any of you people heard of girls.
Yes I do have a supercoach team, but I've got an excuse, I'm old and my wife's ugly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do either of you have Duggan in your team? His scores playing at HBF are pretty good, aren't they?
Nah not going there. He's at that price that can burn you if he stays at the same average.
One thing though is even playing at half back, he's going to get a bit more opportunitie in the midfield so expect a +10 increase in his average.
Still not enough for a keeper unfortunately.

HAWTHORN

Players to consider:

1. J O'Meara

images

No-one questions that the top half is functioning ok. People will shy off and fair enough. He burnt this poster and many SC players last year. He is a well oiled machine atm and has had track watchers wondering whether there were two of him on the park, at times this pre-season. Has this poster sucked in for another nibble.

2. Tom Mitchell

Suffered a minor corky during a club practice match when 20 Hawthorn players, from both sides, gang tackled him at training in an attempt to try and touch the footy. Has racked up touches all pre-season. Absolutely a safe pick and ultra consistent. Horse Longmire once said if there was one football left in the world, Tom Mitchell would find it.

3. Grant Birchall

Birch will be on a lot of watch lists. Had a minor knee clean up this pre-season which has people (with good knees) a bit jumpy. Is a great price and his leadership out of defence is going to be important for Hawthorn. If fit, will be a sound investment.

4. Jonathon Ceglar

Did his knee in the same match as Nic Nat but seems to have recovered better. Has had a good pre-season. Not a noted high scorer but makes the consider list because big boy got sent home from NZ with a hammy. Might be worth a look at R2 early on. Is only $266k.

5. James Sicily

Training like he finished the year last year (apart from the game against Carlton where he was mugged in front umpires, a live crowd and several hundred thousand TV viewers but no-one saw a thing). Is a tempting price and may prove one of the most astute picks of the year.

6. Ryan Burton

Will be a good player and maybe the eventual Shaun Burgoyne replacement, at Hawthorn. Has still only played 24 games which makes this poster nervous. I wanted him in my side really badly last year but Clarko played silly buggers and did not start him round 1. Another promising player worth a shot.

ROOKIES

7. J Worpel

Has had an impressive first pre-season. Is in the mix with a few other kids to play round one. Is a tackling machine which is handy for rookie mids if they have an off day finding the Sherrin. Mature body.

8. K. Lovell

There is a lot of love for LDU from North. Lovell is cheaper, been in the system longer and has shed a few kilos. Last season was wrecked by a shoulder injury which meant he has racked up the k's by foot. Has been tried out on the wing a bit during summer training. Has a lot of potential. If there was one football left in Tasmania Lovell would find it (as long as Mitchell was not over there on Holidays). IMO he will get games. $170k.

9. O. Hanrahan

Insert The Castle 'Its the Vibe' GIF here. Have not seen him play but apparently he was very close last year. Has bulked up and the 'vibe' out of the club is positive to say the least. I would even go as far as saying he may be a Clarko favourite, which means he is bound to get games (see Gibbo last year - luv ya Gibbo). Put him on your watch list and thank me later.

10. D. Mirra

As far as rookies go could he could be the fairest of them all at $102K. The feel-good story of the Rookie Draft, Hawthorn rewarded Mirra for seven years of outstanding service at affiliate club the Box Hill Hawks with a spot on the list. The 2013 VFL premiership captain and four-time VFL Team of the Year member is a fine intercept mark and rebounding defender. Will fit in instantly at the Hawks because of his familiarity with the players and knowledge of the defensive structures. Is going to put pressure on for defensive spots according to pre season reports.

Last edited:
Will just look at some relevant players. Rookies subject to being picked in Rd1.

Scott Pendlebury:
First time he's dropped under 110 average since 2009 and only the second time under 20 games since his debut season. Looks likely to spend some more time up forward this year, but will no doubt predominantly feature in the midfield. Has always been reliable and comes with a discounted starting price compared to recent years.
Predicted average 110-112.

Adam Treloar: Was a popular pick at the start of last year at 600k, but poor ball use saw his average drop 10ppg despite remaining consistent in most key stats. Clanger stat increased by 1ppg, (has historically been around 3 per game) so if he can improve on his ball use, could be a solid pick.
Predicted average 105-107

Brayden Maynard:
Has improved his average each year and looks set to spend more time in the middle. Awkward starting price at just under 400k but should throw in a few high scoring games, mixed with lower scoring games. Gut feel is consistency will let him down.
Predicted average 82-84

Taylor Adams:
Had a breakout last year, with his first year of 20+ games. Loss of def elligibility leaves him as a mid only. Better options at his price
Predicted average 100-105

Jordan De Goey:
Will probably play a similar role at half forward rotating into the middle. Better options at his price
Predicted average 80-85

Jeremy Howe:
Has settled in to a role at half back and expecting much of the same from Howe. Good POD option, but likely to feature on the lower end of the top 8 defenders
Predicted average 90-93

Brodie Grundy:

Has improved each year, but with Cox likely to play and take some of the ruck role, can't see him pushing closer to a 100 average. Hasn't scored well with Cox in the side so expecting his average to decline with Cox playing more games.
Predicted average 90-93

HAWTHORN

Players to consider:

1. J O'Meara

images

No-one questions that the top half is functioning ok. People will shy off and fair enough. He burnt this poster and many SC players last year. He is a well oiled machine atm and has had track watchers wondering, whether there were two of him on the park, at times this pre-season. Has this poster sucked in for another nibble.

2. Tom Mitchell

Suffered a minor corky during a club practice match when 20 Hawthorn players, from both sides, gang tackled him at training in an attempt to try and touch the footy. Has racked up touches all pre-season. Absolutely a safe pick and ultra consistent. Gary Lyon once said if there was one football left in the world, Tom Mitchell would find it.

3. Grant Birchall

Birch will be on a lot of watch lists. Had a minor knee clean up this pre-season which has people (with good knees) a bit jumpy. Is a great price and his leadership out of defence is going to be important for Hawthorn. If fit, will be a sound investment at the price.

4. Jonathon Ceglar

Did his knee in the same match as Nic Nat but seems to have recovered better. Has had a good pre-season. Not a noted high scorer but makes the consider list because big boy got sent home from NZ with a hammy. Might be worth a look at R2 early on. Is only $266k.

5. James Sicily

Training like he finished the year last year (apart from the game against Carlton where he was mugged in front umpires, a live crowd and several hundred thousand TV viewers but no-one saw a thing). Is a tempting price and may prove one of the most astute picks of the year.

6. Ryan Burton

Will be a good player and maybe the eventual Shaun Burgoyne replacement, at Hawthorn. Has still only played 24 games which make this poster nervous. I wanted him in my side really badly last year but Clarko played silly buggers and did not start him round 1. Another promising player worth a shot.

ROOKIES

7. J Worpel

Has had an impressive first pre-season. Is in the mix with a few other kids to play round one. Is a tackling machine which is handy for rookie mids if they have an off day finding the Sherrin. Mature body.

8. K. Lovell

There is a lot of love for LDU from North. Lovell is cheaper, been in the system longer and has shed a few kilos. Last season was wrecked by a shoulder injury which meant he has racked up the k's by foot. Has been tried out on the wing a bit during summer training. Has a lot of potential. If there was one football left in Tasmania Lovell would find it (as long as Mitchell was not over there on Holidays). IMO he will get games. $170k.

9. O. Hanrahan

Insert The Castle 'Its the Vibe' GIF here. Have not seen him play but apparently he was very close last year. Has bulked up and the 'vibe' out of the club is positive to say the least. I would even go as far as saying he may be a Clarko favourite, which means he is bound to get games (see Gibbo last year - luv ya Gibbo). Put him on your watch list and thank me later.

10. D. Mirra

As far as rookies go could he could be the fairest of them all at $102K. The feel-good story of the Rookie Draft, Hawthorn rewarded Mirra for seven years of outstanding service at affiliate club the Box Hill Hawks with a spot on the list. The 2013 VFL premiership captain and four-time VFL Team of the Year member is a fine intercept mark and rebounding defender. Will fit in instantly at the Hawks because of his familiarity with the players and knowledge of the defensive structures. Is going to put pressure on for defensive spots according to pre season reports.
Great write up mate, particularly the Sicily one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back