2019 1st Ashes Test - Edgbaston 1-5 August 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Healy shouting out "GOAT" at the end of a conversation after a wicket was one of the stranger things I've heard too. Just out of nowhere, and whilst true, was something a simpleton would do. Slurred and weird

I don't think Healy is playing with a full deck, lights on-no one home, has a Roo loose in the top paddock etc.
His commentary and analysis at times has been bizarre. Telling us all the other night that a 2-piece ball swings more than a 4-piece is something most kids learning the game are told in primary school. If Ch9 can afford to buy the broadcast rights surely they can have some decent presenters...

They're also lost through poor batting. His average is misleading and will only go down. He simply doesn't have it in him to go big with the bat even at first class level, which is quite unlike any Aus keeper I can remember.

But whatever, it's a moot point. Paine obviously isn't going anywhere.

Who cares how “big” he can go. Pattinson at 8, Cummins at 9, are two almost AR’s anyway. Pick the best gloveman. Period.

Doesn't bowl quite as straight but Siddle is pretty similar.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 Plus using Tapatalk

Doesn’t swing it like Alderman. We miss a fit Chadd Sayers or a similar type

Need more Redbacks, don 't hear that everyday.

Conditions based selection. Sayers is probably our best out and out swing bowler but he’s barely bowled this year

Last edited:
They're also lost through poor batting. His average is misleading and will only go down. He simply doesn't have it in him to go big with the bat even at first class level, which is quite unlike any Aus keeper I can remember.

There seems to be a Conga-line of Tim Paine phobia here.

If I was Tim Paine I'd like the sound of "Ashes winning Captain" a whole lot better than "Captain who presided over the worst cheating incident in Australian Cricket History - AND STILL LOST"

I don't think Healy is playing with a full deck, lights on-no one home, has a Roo loose in the top paddock etc.
His commentary and analysis at times has been bizarre. Telling us all the other night that a 2-piece ball swings more than a 4-piece is something most kids learning the game are told in primary school. If Ch9 can afford to buy the broadcast rights surely they can have some decent presenters...

maybe he has symptoms of CTE?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And you're pinning that on the number 7? Solid logic.

"Ignore his average because it doesn't suit my argument!" No.

Paine isn't going anywhere and shouldn't go anywhere, he's doing a good job.

The keeper thing reminds me of the expectations on spinners after Warne, even on day two people were whinging because Lyon wasn't running through them in good batting conditions, keepers need to be gilly spinners need to be Warne and somehow the blokes outside the team are always sure things to be superstars and replicate those freakish players.
They are once in a lifetime players , yet we expect one in every cycle of the team . Just not going to happen unfortunately

Australia had the best of the batting conditions on day 3 and 4, it was a road! But losing your opening bowler after 4 overs of the match doesn't help.

But the game may also have turned out a lot different if Australia didn't get the ball changed in the first innings!

I'm not too concerned yet, its a 5 test series and we've won after losing the first test before
I’ll give you Anderson but England picked him at high risk and paid the price .

The rest is garbage . England had Australia 8/120 and fluffed their lines with the worst captaincy and tactics you’ll see .
Then they went into day 3 and rolled over when they had the best batting conditions .

They had a chance to have those conditions but faulted every time.

His average of 34 makes him more than adequate.
Bairstow averages 35.

Out of his 2 "obvious" replacements are Wade who is a crab with the gloves and
Carey who missed about 8 chances in the WC.
I'd stick with Paine. Let Wade concentrate on his batting and Carey isn't quite there yet

I'd stick with Paine. Let Wade concentrate on his batting and Carey isn't quite there yet

Pretty much this. I like Seb Gotch and the wildcard is Sam Whiteman if he has a good season next year. Paine is good enough, I’m happy with him and Lyon is too as he’s not having catches dropped like Wade did

This is where the problem lies, if you relax it for England and Australia, India will be jumping up and down and wanting their local umpires and we are back where it all started

Yep, as much as I'd welcome English umpires for the rest of the Ashes, unfortunately we cannot revert back to local umpires, there are some countries who don't understand impartiality.

With Jimmy out would England want a green deck?

They are in a tough spot as a green pitch exposes their flimsy batting line up as well as ours but a flatter deck that could turn late gives us an advantage with Lyon.

Both teams really just have to hope they win the toss get through the new ball and pray it's hard to bat last.
Fair point.
I was just going on what Athers and a couple of the other pomy commentators were saying

Pretty much this. I like Seb Gotch and the wildcard is Sam Whiteman if he has a good season next year. Paine is good enough, I’m happy with him and Lyon is too as he’s not having catches dropped like Wade did
There’s next to no chance that Wade catches those two chances off Lyon that Paine did!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back