2019 1st Ashes Test - Edgbaston 1-5 August 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
It's back! Just when you thought you had recovered from the late nights of the World Cup we all become nocturnal again for the start of The Ashes. A short lead in has reduced the usual pre-game pantomime to England leaving the scoreboard up from the World Cup Semi-Final and Australian captain Tim Paine saying he could name 15 grounds as intimidating as Edgbaston but realistically none of this will mean anything once the first ball is bowled.

Session Times (AEST)
Session 8:00p.m. - 10:00p.m.
Lunch 10:00p.m. - 10:40p.m.
Second Session 10:40p.m. - 12:40a.m.
Tea 12:40a.m. - 1:00a.m.
Third Session 1:00a.m. - 3:00a.m. (probably longer)

The Teams

England have made the classic Australian mistake of naming their team 24 hours before the toss so we know they will line-up as follows:

1 Jason Roy, 2 Rory Burns, 3 Joe Root (capt), 4 Joe Denly, 5 Jos Buttler, 6 Ben Stokes, 7 Jonny Bairstow (wk), 8 Moeen Ali, 9 Chris Woakes, 10 Stuart Broad, 11 James Anderson

Australia on the other hand have said they know who they are picking but won't be announcing it until the toss. 3 positions appear unknown, the 2nd opener, the no.6 and the 3rd paceman. The return of Smith, Warner and (possibly) Bancroft to the Test arena is sure to lead headlines especially if the Edgbaston crowd get up and about. UPDATED TEAM

1 David Warner, 2 Cameron Bancroft, 3 Usman Khawaja, 4 Steve Smith, 5 Travis Head, 6 Matthew Wade, 7 Tim Paine (capt & wk), 8 Pat Cummins, 9 James Pattinson, 10 Peter Siddle, 11 Nathan Lyon.

The Pitch and Weather

The pitch looks fairly brown from reports and this may in part be due to the weather forecast not being great for most of the Test.

Just to add some additional spice to the contest, this is also the first match of the new World Test Championship. A summary of how this works can be found here but basically there are 120 points up for grabs per series, regardless of length, so 24 per Test in this instance.

Don't forget the board will also be running a Poster of the Ashes competition so keep an eye out for any posters who's content during the Ashes you enjoy. You only have to ask our Poster of the World Cup Kram about what a life changing honour it is. Can he do the coveted World Cup/ Ashes double?

Last edited:

Think that, on paper, England's middle/lower order batting strength is going to be the difference - I think both sides will be 3/30 pretty often and the England middle order is more capable of recovering than Australia's. That said, Bairstow and Ali are in some pretty bog average form and Stokes and Buttler haven't played long-form cricket in months.

Should be a very fun series to watch for fans of quality fast bowling though, both sides have some absolute weapons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the big clash of the grandads Anderson 40 and siddle 42 it feels like they are that old...will siddle play?
34 for Siddle.

Has 43 wickets @28 In England, so wouldn't be the worst option

So wait we seriously picked a 34 year old peter siddle and left Josh Hazelwood and Mitch Starc on the sidelines?

Well then...
Starc 29 @31 in England
Siddle 43 @ 28
Hazlewood 16 @ 26

You kidding me? Surely Josh gets in over Sids. This isn't 2015.

Not necessarily. Siddle has 70 wickets in these conditions, he suits these pitches. Speed isn't important in England, accuracy is. It's a huge reason why Starc isn't playing. I'm not fussed who they play, I'd understand it either way.

Not necessarily. Siddle has 70 wickets in these conditions, he suits these pitches. Speed isn't important in England, accuracy is. It's a huge reason why Starc isn't playing. I'm not fussed who they play, I'd understand it either way.

From being Australia's best bowler on the same tracks in the World Cup to not getting a gig less than a month later.

Hazlewood's bowling is predicated more on accuracy than other tools.

Astonishing. Would not be surprised if England belted us and both are very quickly back in the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back