2019 1st Ashes Test - Edgbaston 1-5 August 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

There's going to be incredible pressure on Root to lead from the front. The guy always seems to pile up 50s with ease but his conversion rate is appalling. Yet he's never really got called out for it. Now he's in direct competition with Smith, and Smith has delivered, the English fans and media will demand Root ton up. His captaincy will probably be debated at some point too.

Wade = God and I was never against selecting him anyway, like you were.

Also Geelong crapping themselves and you hiding when tagged isn't meaningless.
You have no idea how short the leash on the MB. I breathe and supers say I’m trolling

Anyone know what the (7/97) means?

View attachment 720830

When i woke up this morning thats what i though England was and clicked the highlights video expecting to see Siddle working the rock both ways at 90Mp/h
7 overs done of 97 total

Quicks just need to keep their heads in the first session. Identify the right length and keep asking the question.

Not having Starc bowling all over the shop with "wicket balls" should help us build pressure.

I hope Lyon bowls aggressively with plenty of flight. No need for throwing darts, plenty of runs in hand and we just need 10 poles!

No way Starc would be very good on this deck a green top no but it has been a mistake not to Play him in this test

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's going to be incredible pressure on Root to lead from the front. The guy always seems to pile up 50s with ease but his conversion rate is appalling. Yet he's never really got called out for it. Now he's in direct competition with Smith, and Smith has delivered, the English fans and media will demand Root ton up. His captaincy will probably be debated at some point too.
It's not his fault if his best bowler breaks down. His keeper cannot keep to spin. His top line spinner struggles with control. Woakes is also injured and cannot bowl. Too much emphasis on the role of Captain in my view in ALL sports. Root can lead with his bat but has no control over other aspects. Fortunately for Australia things have fallen our way and we capitalised. Now if we do not take the 10 wickets Tim Paine will be criticized for not declaring earlier. We need 2 or 3 bowlers to be on their game field well and we win. Captaincy has FA to do with it.

That must have felt great for Wade. Probably thought he wasn't going to get another crack at test level again but banged the door down and got the reward. Credit to Smith (obviously) & Head as well, easier coming in at 4/150 than 4/50 or whatever it was. He looked a lot more relaxed and played like it. Will give him confidence he will play the next few tests at a minimum and can go about his business without the axe above his head if he had of failed again. Glad he cruised through the 90's as well, waited for the 100 before going to bed.

The pitch has become pretty docile for te quick so be interesting how it behaves day 5. Interesting stat they showed that day 4 historically Is the best day to bat at this ground and then day 5 is the worst. hopefully that trend continues. Lyon is the key and hopefully the difference in this match.

Could you ever imagine the day where Ali and Root would bowl 44 overs between them in an innings? I hope that continues for the rest of the series. You'd think the Poms would be getting tired of booing by now, someone needs to explain to them that it's having no effect on Smith at all.

Well done to Wade in his comeback Test and fingers crossed for Cummins, Pattinson and Lyon to rip through the Poms tonight and long may the booing continue.

Can only presume Woakes has picked up a niggle of some sort.

I still disagree on Starc. He is obviously a weapon when he bowls well but I am a big fan of taking a more conservative approach into the first test.

Hopefully it's a wake up call to Starc and he sorts out this bowling 3 trash balls an over he seems to have fallen into the habit of doing.

The Poms part time spinners were ripping it. Lyon will bowl 40 overs tomorrow and take all 10 if he has to. Great fight back to be in this position. What a test match!

Him bowling a massive number of overs with fielders surrounding the bat might help explain the late declaration and extra runs, as he'll probably go for a few every so often, some of the English batsmen aren't known for their restraint.

Could you ever imagine the day where Ali and Root would bowl 44 overs between them in an innings? I hope that continues for the rest of the series. You'd think the Poms would be getting tired of booing by now, someone needs to explain to them that it's having no effect on Smith at all.

If it is having an effect it isn't the one they're hoping for.

If it is having an effect it isn't the one they're hoping for.
I'm just wondering how many Steve Smith masks will be worn at Lords lol.

He pissed me off massively with the sandpaper s**t, but he paid a hefty price for that. What a stunning return to the Test arena though, you can only doff your cap to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back