2019 1st Ashes Test - Edgbaston 1-5 August 2019

I am growing so tired of this comment. How is a player supposed to impress at 1st Class level when he's always taken away to play limited over cricket? He only played 2 Shield games last year, made a century and averaged 75. Whiteman's been around a lot longer than Carey and they've made the same number of shield 100s.
Ask Glenn Maxwell

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
I was at the Man U vs Leeds game with my six-year-old son, I didn't find a lot of the English people on the train or at the game that charming either. That said, the old English bloke next to us in the stands was passionate and great. And it's a contrast to how I found them while living there for three years (I remember the fantastic atmosphere around the 2005 Ashes series). But as you say, there's a certain mob mentality.

The crowd were better behaved at the Man U v Leeds game than the ODI. I guess I have stopped worrying about bad language near my son now. He just ignores it.

There was one Leeds fan that walked past a group of Asian supporters wearing Man United shirts. "You don't ******* look like you were born in Manchester to me" He had hatred in his voice and face.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
It largely was, just the aggressive attitude, constant swearing, despite there being thousands of people of all ages there. No sense of self control.

I found that living near footie pitches in London. The kind of aggressive hyper excitement that I've never noticed at the cricket over here. Glasgow is the worst though. Footie fans up there have to be herded separately around the city. I can't understand how any of it is actually fun to be part of.

Oct 1, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NFC AUFC MUFC Socceroos
The ashes brought out many english ex pats in here. Great atmosphere in the local bars and pubs. One may wonder why they are not derided for their support of england, when during an indian tour, locals who support india are?
No difference in my eyes, particularly if you were born and grew up here

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
There are certain perks you get to enjoy being a British 'expat' as opposed to being an Indian/asian 'immigrant' anywhere in the world.

Indians are pretty well-liked from my experiences because they're generally hard working, polite and friendly. And they have great food.

When England played Australia in a ODI at Perth Stadium a couple of years back, I went with my son who would have been 9. People got on the train at Murdoch until it was too full, then many stepped back to wait for the next train. We were jam packed. When we arrived at the next station, about 10 English supporters tried to squeeze into our carriage. We had nowhere to go and my son was getting squashed against a wheelchair. I pushed these guys back and said there is no room. (I had my England shirt on). "Stupid Aussies don't know how to use a train. Squeeze up everyone, plenty of room lads etc. blah blah blah". They pushed again.

My son's legs were up against a wheelchair and he did not have a centimetre of room to move. I grabbed one of them and pushed him off the train. "You're squashing my son. There is no room. Wait for the next train"".
In Japan, they fit more people on than this".
"That won't stop my son getting squashed right now will it?"
A tap on the shoulder from one of them. "You need to settle down mate"
I said something about not settling down while my son is getting squashed...
Went on for 5 minutes with the doors unable to be closed. Half of them got pushed off.

Arrive at the cricket. Sat with my in laws and old school mates. Had a great laugh. Went and found some other mates late in the day and went to the bar for a beer. Chatting to an Aussie in the queue. A drunk English fan comes and grabs me. "Caaaaaaarrrrrn. Let's beat these Aussie campaigners". I pushed him off me. "What's wrong with you mate? If you don't wanna be 'ere, be somewhere else !!!!" He screamed into my face.
"I do want to be here. I don't want you to be here."

At the end of the day, chatting to my son, he said will the train be like that for all of the Scorchers games? he was genuinely worried about going.
I said no, because it will be people going to enjoy themselves and watch the cricket. The English fans try to be more English than the next and try to impose themselves onto everybody. In short, when they get in a big group. They are a bunch of morons.

I'm a Pom. I don't find them charming either.

Geezers need excitement
If their lives don't provide it,
they start incitin' violence.
It's common sense,
simple common sense.

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Indians are pretty well-liked from my experiences because they're generally hard working, polite and friendly. And they have great food.

My point was not so much about Indians. How many times have you heard the term "an African expat" or an Indian 'expat' or even a Chinese expat being used. It's almost always African, Indian or Chinese immigrants. Now how many times have you heard the term a British immigrant or an American immigrant being used, it's almost always British expats or American expats.

My point is that there is some kind of leeway you always get while being a western 'expat'. The boorish behaviour of say British expats might not be enjoyed by the locals, but let's say it would be tolerated a bit more than the boorish behaviour of say asian or African immigrants.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Is it just me, or are media "experts" writing off England too soon? FFS, they were down a great bowler for virtually the whole match.

It’s the media...gotta come up with the most sensational article either positive or negative. Balanced, informed and common sense writing doesn’t sell papers or garner website views

Not sure if it’s been mentioned on this thread but Root labelled this pitch as “substandard” and said it too heavily favoured the batsmen. Funny, I thought they were bowled out for 146. So gracious...
So that's two groundsmen he has gone after now. What a twat.

Is it just me, or are media "experts" writing off England too soon? FFS, they were down a great bowler for virtually the whole match.
Most definitely.

We really aren't much chop barring Smith. If he fails we are well behind.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The tour games on now

Harris and Bancroft opening, interesting they didn't give Warner a chance to get some form.

Harris Bancroft Khawaja Head Marnus Marsh Wade Paine Nesser Starc Hazlewood

Has anyone put this quote up because it needs repeating.

“The fortress at Edgbaston has been breached by the Australians”

A poignant statement of this test by Nasser Hussain.
For the most part Nassar was pretty good during the coverage. Well, what I saw anyway

Flapjacks

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
The tour games on now

Harris and Bancroft opening, interesting they didn't give Warner a chance to get some form.

Harris Bancroft Khawaja Head Marnus Marsh Wade Paine Nesser Starc Hazlewood

Have to rest Warner and smith as they are the only two batters to have played the WC

No, Australia just chose to bowl first when we did lose one!!!

Its no different to 99% of test grounds around the world, every ground in Australia you are well on top if you win the toss. Fact is, its hard to chase down a total on the last day and most pitches are still good for batting on days 3 and 4.

Look at our test v Ireland, get rolled for 80 and still win the game.
I think given the home side gets to prepare the pitch the visitors should automatically win the toss.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Surprised this game only gives the 6 test players 1 day break.Will be interesting to see if Wade helps out with the wicket keeping and perhaps Head acts as captain to give Paine a bit of a rest.Even better seeing Carey is there could he have kept and given 1 of the test players in this side a rest after such a tough test.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think given the home side gets to prepare the pitch the visitors should automatically win the toss.

I like the idea where the away team can automatically choose to bowl first if they want to, and if not they go to the toss then. Or just alternating it so the away team gets to pick on tests 1 and 3 while the home team can choose on tests 2 and 4, then a toss for the 5th test?

Back