VFL 2021 VFL list changes & discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Rule changes for 2020 confirmed, justified on the weird basis of aligning VFL and NEAFL list structures over the next 3 years. Two separate comps don't need the same list management rules, so it very much suggests a move towards an AFL reserves comp. Will we see a VFL and NEAFL merger in 2023 before a whole national reserves down the track?
My thoughts earlier in this thread (November 2019) after the NEAFL and VFL rules were tweaked. Got the year wrong (seemingly fast tracked due to COVID), but I did ponder a merger of the comps.

The VFL could have up to 20 teams as clubs from three states assess their options for 2021.
The first step towards the make-up of the Victorian state league comes this Friday when clubs submit an “expression of interest’’ to be involved.

Indications are all NEAFL clubs bar the Canberra Demons will lodge their initial interest.

The AFL announced in August that the NEAFL would be absorbed into the Victorian league but the Demons have already announced they will not be part of it.

Northern and southern conferences are an option as the AFL looks to reduce costs for travel and accommodation.

The Victorian clubs have been given proposed new zones and list requirements for next year.

For a list of 40, the stand-alone clubs will have to contract 20 players under the age of 23, and 10 must be under the age of 21.

Aligned and AFL clubs will be permitted to list five players over the age of 23.

Five will have to be under the age of 23, and 20 other players under 21, sourced from zones that each club has been allocated.

The zones apply across the entire competition in Victoria and are intended to promote and strengthen greater linkages between the NAB League and the VFL, as the VFL clubs had suggested in a submission to AFL state leagues manager Tristan Salter four months ago.

Frankston, for example, has been given Gippsland Power and Dandenong Stingrays.

Casey Demons have been allocated the Stingrays and the Melbourne Next Generation Academy, which takes in the Mornington Peninsula.

Box Hill Hawks can tap Eastern Ranges and Gippsland Power, which Hawthorn’s NGA covers.

Coburg has the Calders Cannons and the Bendigo Pioneers.

But four clubs have a bite at the Western Jets: Werribee, Williamstown, Footscray Bulldogs and North Melbourne through its NGA.

Some clubs will urge the AFL to take another look at the proposed zones.

Although AFL clubs must pull back on their spending, there are indications most will run their own VFL teams next year, even Carlton, which cut the Northern Blues in March as the impact of COVID-19 kicked in.

Northern is going back to the Northern Bullants name and is out to operate as a stand-alone.

The zones are seen as a way of having more players coming out of the NAB League – which turns into an Under 19 and Under 17 competition next year – and going directly to the VFL.

The pathway would start with a 16-year-old player joining the Oakleigh Chargers, for example, and knowing he could go on to Port Melbourne in the VFL if he wasn’t drafted.

VFL club officials believe said such a system would increase opportunities for young players that were lost when VFL Development League was canned at the end of 2017.

An AFL recruiter backed the model, and said the onus would be on VFL clubs to work closely with the NAB League teams to create a “one-club’’ feel.

He said he saw it as the VFL’s attempt to replicate the SANFL and WAFL.

“That’s not a bad thing; what they have over there works,’’ he said.

AFL club officials contacted by Leader also supported the model but one had reservations about the zones, arguing the Jets should be left to Williamstown and the North Melbourne NGA, leaving Werribee to be attached to the Geelong Falcons and Greater Western Victoria Rebels regions and the Bulldogs also with the Rebels.

The “talent flow’’ from the Jets is seen as insufficient to produce enough players for the model.

Clubs’ official applications to be part of the revamped VFL in 2021 must be lodged with the AFL by the end of the month.

POTENTIAL VFL TEAMS IN 2021

AFL stand-alones: Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Footscray Bulldogs, Geelong, Gold Coast, Greater Western Sydney, North Melbourne, Richmond, Sydney

Aligned: Box Hill Hawks, Casey Demons, Sandringham

VFL stand-alones: Coburg, Frankston, Northern Bullants, Port Melbourne, Williamstown, Werribee

NEAFL: Aspley, Redlands, Southport, Sydney University

LISTS

Stand-alone clubs: 20 players over 23, 10 under 23, 10 under 21

Aligned or AFL stand-alone clubs: five players over 23, five under 23, 20 under 21

PROPOSED ZONES

Coburg: Calder Cannons, Bendigo Pioneers

Frankston: Dandenong Stingrays, Gippsland Power

Port Melbourne: Oakleigh Chargers, Sandringham Dragons

Northern Bullants: Northern Knights

Williamstown: Western Jets

Werribee: Western Jets, Greater Western Victoria Rebels

Box Hill Hawks: Eastern Ranges, Gippsland Power, Hawthorn NGA

Casey Demons: Dandenong Stingrays, Melbourne NGA

Sandringham: Sandringham Dragons, St Kilda NGA

Carlton: Northern Knights, Carlton NGA

Collingwood: Oakleigh Chargers, Collingwood NGA

Essendon: Calder Cannons, Bendigo Pioneers, Essendon NGA

Geelong: Geelong Falcons, Geelong NGA

North Melbourne: Tasmania, North Melbourne NGA

Richmond: Murray Bushrangers, Richmond NGA

Western Bulldogs: Western Jets, Western Bulldogs NGA

I like this. Combining the Nab league/NGA into the VFL clubs. So we can field players from oakleigh and from our NGA that dont get drafted.

I like this. Combining the Nab league/NGA into the VFL clubs. So we can field players from oakleigh and from our NGA that dont get drafted.

Could we still play NGA players in there Draft year in the VFL Team?

Unsure. Given some would play Nab League. But I think if they don't get chosen for games for the Nab League, they should have another option.

Guess then they can sign for any team outside of the AFL

Guess then they can sign for any team outside of the AFL
But if they are comparing to sanfl and wafl, how it will end up similar, then you would think; draftees could play VFL in their draft year just like those kids in other states do.

Thanks for posting the article. The age restrictions seem excessive though. The stronger VFL sides traditionally are those with a more mature group, which for aligned/AFL clubs flows onto better AFL development and success. Our VFL side has struggled when we’ve had AFL injuries and been reliant on young draftees and young VFL players.

Fair enough return the opportunity lost to 19-23 year olds when the VFL reserves were canned, but it shouldn’t come at the expense of quality VFL games (a standard good enough for AFL listed players and the viewer) or more mature VFL players still looking for their chance.

I still believe we need a middle tier between U18/19s and VFL like the SANFL and WAFL reserves instead of lowering the standard of VFL footy in some weird hybrid.

But if they are comparing to sanfl and wafl, how it will end up similar, then you would think; draftees could play VFL in their draft year just like those kids in other states do.

and That be Great as you get more of a Idea how AFL ready they are

Don’t see how AFL clubs can field a VFL side if only allowed to field 5 over 23 year olds out of a list of 40.

Does mean players over 23 that are in out of the senior side at Collingwood this year like Reid, Varcoe, Broomhead, Dunn, Cox, etc... would not be able to play VFL when dropped or returning from injury??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t see how AFL clubs can field a VFL side if only allowed to field 5 over 23 year olds out of a list of 40.

Does mean players over 23 that are in out of the senior side at Collingwood this year like Reid, Varcoe, Broomhead, Dunn, Cox, etc... would not be able to play VFL when dropped or returning from injury??

Might be Different for AFL Listed Players

They have butchered footy in Victoria. Not hard to fix stand alone AFL reserves then have a VFL create a pathway so you progress from the TAC to the VFL and they actually retain players

Seems a classic case of a plan evolving on the run. So many mistakes made over the years. I'm not sure they actually know what the end game should look like yet.

Last edited:
Very much could see myself getting in to the VFL more than the AFL next season heres hoping they keep 20 min quarters.

If they change it ill fall away from following in general ill always support the pies but i cannot support scoring 40 odd points to win a game its just shite

Very much could see myself getting in to the VFL more than the AFL next season heres hoping they keep 20 min quarters.

If they change it ill fall away from following in general ill always support the pies but i cannot support scoring 40 odd points to win a game its just sh*te
Usually what the AFL does, the VFL and those operated by AFL have to follow suit. It won't be 16 min quarters. There is talk of 18 mins plus time on. Or 20.

Usually what the AFL does, the VFL and those operated by AFL have to follow suit. It won't be 16 min quarters. There is talk of 18 mins plus time on. Or 20.
Could be the end of me ill still follow a little but i really wont be invested as i have been previously.

i hate whats happened to the game guess ill just live on in memories and good times

Just looks like a dogs breakfast.

AFL better off subsiding the Lions, Suns, Swans, Giants flying their reserves team to and from Melb every weekend so they can play in the VFL.

Just have these teams align with standalone clubs the way the swans were aligned with Port Melbourne.

And just to pile the crap on it looks like they’ll abandon the name ‘VFL’ in the process

Just looks like a dogs breakfast.

AFL better off subsiding the Lions, Suns, Swans, Giants flying their reserves team to and from Melb every weekend so they can play in the VFL.

Just have these teams align with standalone clubs the way the swans were aligned with Port Melbourne.

And just to pile the crap on it looks like they’ll abandon the name ‘VFL’ in the process

Agree just bring back the Reserves for the Eastern Coast Teams is lot better Idea

It’s really not that hard, have an AFL res comp for the eastern states topped up by local league players. A separate VFL comp that gives the opportunity for those who are trying to get on a list. Basically back to the future like it use to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back