VFL 2021 VFL list changes & discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sucks we have to lose Hocking Though
I know. And he mentions it in the article.

“Especially at a club like Collingwood, with all that history. It’s actually a bit surreal at the moment. But, yeah, really excited about the opportunity the club has given me and I’ve got to make sure I take it with both hands and do the best I can.

“At the same time I do feel a little bit guilty in a way because people who have been so good to me and I’d built really good relationships with, like ‘Buddha’ (Hocking), have lost their roles.

“It’s been a really tough year for a lot of people in football. You feel for all of them.’’

AFL also changing rules for new eastern seaboard comp. Minimum number of players in each 50m area... and strangely a player always stationed in the goal square whenever there is a kick in or boundary throw in.

The idea being a traditional full forward type player will remain within 20m of goals at all times. Bodes well for any young forwards we draft and/or want to develop. Or do we just plonk the less mobile resting ruckman down there rather than bench them? Those rules reciprocated in the AFL could be a god send for mason Cox

The AFL will sit down with coaches from the newly formed VFL and East Coast competition in coming weeks to discuss how it will execute radical new zones next year.

Clubs in the new 22-team competition are still in the dark about the rules, including why they were chosen by the league and how the league will penalise players who transgress.

The AFL’s own live trials of zones with AFL teams led to dramatic delays before stoppages before the three pairs of players retreated into the 50m arc at each end.

But instead of introducing those rules in the AFL, the VFL and East Coast league has become the league’s new guinea pig.

Teams were told of the changes by the AFL without consultation, with the league also making clear in a memo to VFL and East Coast clubs how important it was to not criticise the code.

But Port Melbourne VFL coach Garry Ayres said on Thursday he was all for the zones, keen to promote more attacking football and a point of difference from the AFL.

He said his VFL teams had started keeping one or two forwards deep as far back as 2011 while rivals played 18-man hard presses up the ground, often getting easy goals over the back of those zones.

Under NAB League under-18 rules, a free kick is given to a team’s ruckman at a stoppage if the rival team does not have its three players inside 50m at each end.

The AFL has told clubs it will have a series of Zoom meetings in coming weeks, where clubs hope the league will listen to feedback from experienced coaches on the best way to implement zones.

“I have always felt that if we are making change, it can only be for the betterment of football. I am all for it. If we didn’t change things, we would have so much we haven’t seen or experienced. So if this can add to more attacking footy and more goals I am all for it,” Ayres said.

“This could get more people to watch VFL and get more exposure and that can only be good.”

Clubs have been told the 22-team competition will have 16 rounds and involve Victorian teams travelling interstate two or three times per season.

Clubs which used to get a yearly grant from the AFL will now have those travel expenses taken care of by the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be a Chance for 1 of the last 2 List Spots?

I hope not. Not even sure how I feel about signing him for the VFL and whether it’s a position of need. Would rather we signed an experienced mid to lead the kids in there.

I hope not. Not even sure how I feel about signing him for the VFL and whether it’s a position of need. Would rather we signed an experienced mid to lead the kids in there.

Well there is another AFL Player we are talking too and Jack Hellier could do that

Is Scott Selwood meant to be signed to our VFL team again next year, or did that get thrown out the window after this year?

Is Scott Selwood meant to be signed to our VFL team again next year, or did that get thrown out the window after this year?

Already been Tweeted he will play with our 2nds in 2021

I think he’s signed, just not sure how many games he’s expected to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back