2019-20 Big Bash League

Remove this Banner Ad

ODI always happened on Aus Day without issue and fact is 99% of people dont do much on the day other than a bbq, beers and are looking for something to do. BBL final is just the ticket in that instance

Wait, you don't do big fireworks shows on Australia Day?

It's the main day for it over here, even moreso than NYE. You'll have to rule out playing any BBL matches in Perth on Aus Day. Just too much else going on. Big events too, like 250,000 in Perth City, and other smaller events in outler suburbs like Armadale, Rockingham, Wanneroo. A sell-out game at Optus stretches the public transport system to capacity. Would not cope with fireworks crowds too.

It's the main day for it over here, even moreso than NYE. You'll have to rule out playing any BBL matches in Perth on Aus Day. Just too much else going on. Big events too, like 250,000 in Perth City, and other smaller events in outler suburbs like Armadale, Rockingham, Wanneroo. A sell-out game at Optus stretches the public transport system to capacity. Would not cope with fireworks crowds too.

Perth hasn't been taken over by Invasion Day yet?

Melbourne has a parade but I'm not sure how much interest it actually gets

Perth hasn't been taken over by Invasion Day yet?

Melbourne has a parade but I'm not sure how much interest it actually gets

There's nomrally an Invasion Day rally/march that takes place during the day. The fireworks are at night. They don't clash. Plus it's done from barges moored on the river, people turn up on the parks along the foreshore or in boats.

No idea why we do it on Aus Day rather then NYE. But that is now local tradition. Been doing for decades.

1579994533920_GK32JNV06.2-0.JPG

I don't even know if we do fireworks here on Aus Day as is my care factor for it. For most people it's just a day off work, having cricket on would be a blessing

No idea how any largely pointless fireworks would overshadow a well-promoted final

Former Big Bash League chief Mike McKenna has recommended a countdown clock be introduced to hasten the completion of Twenty20 innings, with sluggish teams forced to turn to a "non-bowler" as a penalty to complete their remaining overs if time has expired.

Former Big Bash League chief Mike McKenna has recommended a countdown clock be introduced to hasten the completion of Twenty20 innings, with sluggish teams forced to turn to a "non-bowler" as a penalty to complete their remaining overs if time has expired.

"the just-completed BBL campaign, where attendances were the second lowest in tournament history"

False

Looks like Worrall to Adelaide and Stanlake to the Stars might be on the cards

I think Worrall suits the Strikers better. Need a new ball bowler and it doesn't really matter if he can't bowl at the death.

Looks like Worrall to Adelaide and Stanlake to the Stars might be on the cards

I think Worrall suits the Strikers better. Need a new ball bowler and it doesn't really matter if he can't bowl at the death.

Wrong thread I know but Zampa is going to struggle to get picked no matter what state he's in.

according to article in Herald Sun today, players are willing to take a pay cut for reduced BBL season. I doubt CA/Broadcasters will agree to reduction.

Given the current broadcasting deal was negotiated on the amount of games played there is no way that the number of games will be reduced..CA will not pay money back to 7 and Fox.

Those in charge really did utensil this whole thing up. It was great as it was ie: length of comp and channel 10 showing it...but the got greedy.

How dumb are the players to take pay cuts, or be willing to. You're playing 40 overs 2, maybe 3x a week. Piece of piss. They should be welcoming the longest BBL seasons ever, it's easy work for them...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How dumb are the players to take pay cuts, or be willing to. You're playing 40 overs 2, maybe 3x a week. Piece of piss. They should be welcoming the longest BBL seasons ever, it's easy work for them...
There's more to their careers and lives than just BBL

It shows just how they value the games. They actually want to provide a high quality product and have the best possible competition not just looking at how to best line their own pockets. I reckon it refreshing to see that

They get paid to play cricket. They earn good money for this hit and giggle rubbish; why would they offer to take cuts to shorten the easiest season in world sport. Seriously at most, they play 120 overs a WEEK. A shield game is 106 a day, isn't it? Madness from their perspective

BBL was terrible and the season is too long but the players should be welcoming the piss-weak schedule with open arms. They'll never see that easy money ever again

It shows just how they value the games. They actually want to provide a high-quality product and have the best possible competition not just looking at how to best line their own pockets. I reckon it refreshing to see that
Fair call there. Is refreshing. You wouldn't see NBA players do that!

If I was a player outside the Aus set-up I wouldn't be too keen on it still tbh. BBL in front of 2k people has to be better than a suburban game in front of none

Exactly and with more players playing in different states, they would welcome a shorter season so they can stay at home more often. Shield cricket is very different as you are only away from home when playing away, training and spare time are all at home. I imagine the players from interstate have to move for the whole 2 months almost.

Flying every second day would take it out of you I’d imagine.

I can't see a thread for this year's Pakistan Super League. Ben Dunk just smashed a nifty 93 for Lahore, including 10 sixes, four of which were in consecutive balls in one over. It looks like a small ground

I can't see a thread for this year's Pakistan Super League. Ben Dunk just smashed a nifty 93 for Lahore, including 10 sixes, four of which were in consecutive balls in one over. It looks like a small ground

He did well in the Mzansi League prior to the BBL as well. Just sucked playing at home.

Wrong thread I know but Zampa is going to struggle to get picked no matter what state he's in.
you mean that averaging nearly 50 with the ball as a spinner in first class cricket won’t get you picked? I’m shocked.

Seven West Media offered to sell Network Ten the Big Bash League broadcasting rights as part of new chief executive James Warburton's efforts to reduce the company's debt pile and free up cash.

The discussion came almost two years after Seven nabbed the broadcasting rights to the Big Bash League from Ten as part of a $1 billion deal landed with pay TV group Foxtel.

Seven had already indicated it paid too much for the rights, writing down the value of the cricket at its half-year financial results as part of a $52 million carve-out for onerous contracts. Excluding the final, audiences for the BBL were down by 10 per cent year on year and fell by 41 per cent compared with the last time it was broadcast on Network Ten.
-------------------
:eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back