mike123

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
If you defend deep we will struggle

Wasn't impressed at all with our midfield game, relied far too much on the full backs to drive us forward, our central midfield was very deep and just passed it around doing bugger all

Plain and simple if we didn't have Insigne we would've lost easily, he's basically like for us what Eden Hazard was for Chelsea
Our team is very comfortable with defending deep from the Allegri years but I’m not sure Sarri or whoever will be on the sidelines will go with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adam_23

Team Captain
Apr 14, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd, Napoli, Cavs
I didn't think we'd see a game in Serie A for a while that would come close to the craziness we saw in the Juve vs Napoli game, but we literally got one the next day in the Rome derby! Only finished 1-1 but that game was nuts, woodwork hit 6 times between both teams. Lazio looked the better team though, got some real match winners in their squad in Immobile/SMS/Correa/Luis Alberto.

Been a great first 2 weeks, shame about this international break now.

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Are the twilight/night games in place currently due to the Mediterranean summer heat?

Would be great to see some games on before midnight one of these weeks...

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Man streaming on a chromecast is far superior compared to my phone

Rarely drops out/buffers

Anyways

Need to tighten up at the back this second half, up 1-0 but Samp have cut us open on the counter 2-3 times only for Meret to save the day

Both teams missed chances, could be a 3-4-5 goal game already, bit like that Fiorentina/Napoli game from MD1

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Wowee, big Fernando goes from my English side to my Italian side and sets up Mertens straight away (might be an OG though)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Is Ruiz doing better as a 10 now?
Was ok first half then became largely anonymous

Don't really rate him, feel he needs to get onto the ball more and do more in the final third instead of leaving it all up to Insigne and Mertens, he can recycle possession fine, but any old midfielder can do that, very very vanilla for mine.

Been a couple of Napoli midfielders I haven't rated over the last few years like Jorginho

Rate
Hamsik (mainly for his Lampardesque goalscoring ability)
Inler (did a solid job for a few years)
Allan (much needed aggression)

I'm on the fence with Zielinski, but he's fairly versatile, can play deep or out wide.

Elmas was good yesterday, looks to have decent dribbling skills and knows how to make runs, hope he gets a decent shot at it, CM is a position that for mine isn't really set in stone/is one of our weakest areas.

Fairly happy with our RB situation, Di Lorenzo is going ok, just needs to work on his positioning so he doesn't get caught out in the counter all the time, but he uses the ball well. Our CBs and ST/FWDs are quality.

Don't rate Rui, feel his ball delivery is poor, rather Ghoulam.

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Kinda feel if we had say Pjanic, SMS level mids then we'd be able to overhaul Juve one of these years, alas we don't, our strength has always been upfront, but now we have bookend depth

mike123

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Do think Ancelotti set up team do James would be able fit in and is now forced to use Ruiz in that role becuase that movemdidnt eventuate?

I think that’s a fair assessment of you mids. I really rate Allan and Hamsik was always a threat.

Rui has never impressed me when he’s played. He seems poor with the ball and flimsy defensively.

Not sure Pjanic would be much help for you. He’s another mid who just recycles possession most of the time albeit he can occasionally pull off the killer pass that’s sets up a goal.

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Do think Ancelotti set up team do James would be able fit in and is now forced to use Ruiz in that role becuase that movemdidnt eventuate?
Perhaps

We signed Llorente on a free though

Maybe Insigne will play that role instead? Got Lozano and Callejon out on the wings now.

I think that’s a fair assessment of you mids. I really rate Allan and Hamsik was always a threat.

Rui has never impressed me when he’s played. He seems poor with the ball and flimsy defensively.

Not sure Pjanic would be much help for you. He’s another mid who just recycles possession most of the time albeit he can occasionally pull off the killer pass that’s sets up a goal.
Moreso just putting up names of quality mids who benefit other sides

We just don't have enough mids close to that level and imo is a reason why we've fallen short

Juves mids probably aren't as good these days as they were under Conte with Pirlo, Vidal, Marchisio etc but it's still pretty rock solid, but these days their attack is far superior compared to back then.

Top Bottom