Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Well, as I didn't see one posted since last years edition, I'll do one now

IMG_20190818_012407.png
IMG_20190818_012345.png

Here is your 20 La Liga sides (screenshotted from our friends at Wikipedia) battling it out for the campaign

Season started last night with Athletic Bilbao beating Barcelona 1-0, Aduriz at the tender young age of 38 still banging in bicycle kicks in the 89th minute to get the job done

About Blank

Senior List
Aug 21, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Courtois getting nutmugged in the 88th minute to concede the equaliser at home against a team I’ve never heard of lel

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Is that sarcasm? I’ve legit never heard of them. Admittedly, I’m in the EPL/CL bubble.
I've ever only known them to be a yoyo club

Probably similarly placed on the football table there to Osasuna, Getafe, Gijon etc

Kompany

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Is that sarcasm? I’ve legit never heard of them. Admittedly, I’m in the EPL/CL bubble.

Ah fair enough. Actually, I'm from Europe and have always been exposed to various leagues, and probably wrongly assume that everyone who follows the game is familiar with these clubs. They've just always been around in Spain, going up and down a few time, like pups said. Probably the most interesting thing about them is that they're owned by Ronaldo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About Blank

Senior List
Aug 21, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Ah fair enough. Actually, I'm from Europe and have always been exposed to various leagues, and probably wrongly assume that everyone who follows the game is familiar with these clubs. They've just always been around in Spain, going up and down a few time, like pups said. Probably the most interesting thing about them is that they're owned by Ronaldo.
Outside of the bigger clubs in La Liga, I don’t have a clue. I don’t know how people have so much time to follow/watch five different leagues, then there’s other sports as well. It’s hard enough finding time to watch Chelsea and Richmond on a weekly basis.

The Segunda Division has also started and unfortunately my team, Deportivo La Coruna, have had a mixed start to the season, they won their first game 3-2 against Oviedo but lost their second 3-1 against Huesca.

I've been doing a bit a research on the history of Deportivo and discovered that this team is the very definition of a yo-yo club. In the fourteen seasons between 1961/62 and 1974/75 they were promoted six times (five as champions and once finishing third) and relegated six times. Only twice did they stay in the same league a second year, and both times barely survived. Overall they have bounced between the top two divisions more than a than a dozen times since 1939, and have even spent a couple of seasons in the third division.

1961/62 - Promoted as Champions of the Segunda Division
1962/63 - Relegated from Primera Division, finished 14th
1963/64 - Promoted as Champions of the Segunda Division
1964/65 - Relegated from Primera Division, finished 16th

1965/66 - Promoted as Champions of the Segunda Division
1966/67 - Relegated from Primera Division, finished 16th
1967/68 - Relegated from Primera Division, finished 14th
1968/69 - Finished 10th in Primera Division
1969/70 - Relegated from Primera Division, finished 14th
1970/71 - Promoted, finished third in the Segunda Division
1971/72 - Finished 14th in Primera Division
1972/73 - Relegated from Primera Division, finished 17th
1973/74 - Relegated from Segunda Division, finished 18th
1974/75 - Promoted as Champions of the Tercera Division

Kompany

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I didn't know that about Depor. I just remember them as a very decent team (with Makaay, Djalminha...) that did well in the CL a few seasons. I think they won la liga one season but also missed out on the championship by dropping points in their last game.

Is Ronaldo the owner of Valladolid or have I got the wrong club?

He owns 51% of the shares.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
I didn't know that about Depor. I just remember them as a very decent team (with Makaay, Djalminha...) that did well in the CL a few seasons. I think they won la liga one season but also missed out on the championship by dropping points in their last game.

Pretty sure that had Juanfran too.

They beat Milan in 2004 I think in the CL. After Milan held a 3-0 lead from the first leg.

Pretty sure that had Juanfran too.

They beat Milan in 2004 I think in the CL. After Milan held a 3-0 lead from the first leg.

Deportivo La Coruna won the league in 1999/2000 and were runners up the following two seasons and they reached the semi-finals of the Champions league in 2004. In the 90's and early 00's they were a very successful club (nicknamed Super Depor), with players such as Naybet, Fran, Tristan, Makaay, Silva and Djalminha and was competing with and beating Barcelona and Real Madrid on a regular basis but they got into financial difficulties and have struggled ever since. Can't see the team getting anywhere near our successful era in the next decade or so, but you never know, stranger things have happened. It would be nice if we could get back into the Primera Division and compete regularly again without the fear of relegation.

Last edited:

Kompany

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Outside of the bigger clubs in La Liga, I don’t have a clue. I don’t know how people have so much time to follow/watch five different leagues, then there’s other sports as well. It’s hard enough finding time to watch Chelsea and Richmond on a weekly basis.

Yeah it's not like I closely follow all those leagues or teams. It's more like keeping an eye out for what goes on. I don't watch that many live games anymore - most of what I see are highlights, I hear stuff from friends in Europe, listen to podcasts, read articles...

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams

Pretty sure a good ten years or so Depor were a quality unit for, from about the mid 90s to mid 00s.

Villarreal became the next smaller regional club to do well in the league/Europe for a prolonged period after them.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Deportivo La Coruna won the league in 1999/2000 and were runners up the following two seasons and they reached the semi-finals of the Champions league in 2004. In the 90's and early 00's they were a very successful club (nicknamed Super Depor), with players such as Naybet, Fran, Tristan, Makaay, Silva and Djalminha and was competing with and beating Barcelona and Real Madrid on a regular basis but they got into financial difficulties and have struggled ever since. Can't see the team getting anywhere near our successful era in the next decade or so, but you never know, stranger things have happened. It would be nice if we could get back into the Primera Division and compete regularly again without the fear of relegation.
Depor has never had problems getting promoted and out of the Segunda though.

Classic case of not good enough for La Liga but a class above for the Segunda.

The club needs to come up with a sustainable model that will see you guys regain comfortable midtable status, similarly to how Real Sociedad has gone about it the last ten years (aside from the odd venture into Europe).

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
You get the feeling that this year is a massive opportunity for Athletico Madrid.

Real are still struggling and Messi out is causing massive issues for Barca.

Athletico are going to end up with a pretty handy head start.
Yep, could be a midtable type or two in Europe also

Good for the competition imo though, will keep it interesting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back