2019/20 Lower & Non-League Thread: Still featuring Sunderland AFC

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond
What’s the go with Bolton Wanderers?
I knew they kind of spiralled due to ownership issues but to what extent?

I heard something about owners stripping the club of its assets? I don’t really understand how the EFL can sanction that sort of activity to go on?

You would think they could be somewhat self sustainable with a relatively strong supporter base.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
I checked for a score last night and it was 1-1 with the Dons just outside the promotion play offs, I almost posted here about it being a good start... I didnt realise it was a live score until they conceded a second. Must be so hard for the lower teams to keep any talent on their lists, as soon as someone shows something they get snapped up by a team above them. Don't know the team well enough to know how well he's covered but I would of thought losing Sibbick will hurt a bit, was very good in the few games I watched last year.

Happy Barnet got it done on the weekend. Going to be a long year but a day 1 win isn't to be scoffed at

Would all their games become 3-0 defeats and by default finish last?

I'd imagine they'd just be removed and it becomes a 23 team, 44 game league.

It'd be interesting to see if they give a relegated team a reprieve, or give an extra promotion spot for next season? Never understood why league 2 get 4 promotions and the national league only 2 - would be a good time to look to make it 3 up 3 down for the first 4 divs.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
I'd imagine they'd just be removed and it becomes a 23 team, 44 game league.

It'd be interesting to see if they give a relegated team a reprieve, or give an extra promotion spot for next season? Never understood why league 2 get 4 promotions and the national league only 2 - would be a good time to look to make it 3 up 3 down for the first 4 divs.

The reason the Conference only get two spots into the Football League is because for a long time, a lot of clubs in the 5th tier wouldn't have had the ground or finances to adapt. However that is very different now so you're right that the Conference should get 3 spots.

Traditionally in England it was always 4 up/4 down. The Premier League only went for 3 up/3 down almost 10 years after its formation. Not too fussed about 3 up/4 down for League 1 and 2 because it makes promotion and relegation more interesting.

Looking at the way they have started, they could yet fall further

Couple of Barnet supporters who were at the game on the weekend where we won 2-1 were saying in our chat that the club seems to have lost so much of it's identity/status. Apparently the supporters weren't too engaged either. Might of just been a weird flex from some fans who've had too many beers after the game, but is sad to hear.

Just shows how far we've come given we were in exactly the position many of these clubs find themselves in.

If not for the fans we'd be Bury or worse.

Crazy isn't it! Wednesday were on the brink a few years back and were bought out by Mandaric for £1 in 2010 (he also payed off our debts). Club hasn't really hit any great heights like Brighton, but are hopefully building to get back to former glory

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Crazy isn't it! Wednesday were on the brink a few years back and were bought out by Mandaric for £1 in 2010 (he also payed off our debts). Club hasn't really hit any great heights like Brighton, but are hopefully building to get back to former glory

We were super lucky in our case. That we had someone like Tony Bloom waiting in the wings seems unfair somewhat compared to what waits for other clubs going forward.

Fans United helped save us, just a shame it wasn't a movement that lasted beyond our plight in terms of helping signifigantly other clubs.

It looks like another lower league club could be in some difficulty, this time it's League Two club Macclesfield Town. Six players from last season joined a winding-up petition to claw back up to three months of unpaid wages. Once the money was paid they tried to dismiss the petition, but it has now gone to HM Revenue and Customs which means Macclesfield Town will be in court again. I think it's their third time in four months.

They aren't in as bad shape as Bury and Bolton, but things are looking a little grim for the Silkmen.

On a positive note, Carlisle went to Championship side Barnsley and absolutely routed them 3-0. In the end the score flattered the Tykes as Carlisle were far and away the better side and were unlucky not to score a couple more, hitting the cross bar a couple of times and a couple of fine saves from the Barnsley goalkeeper keeping the score reasonable.

Back