2019/20 Lower & Non-League Thread: Still featuring Sunderland AFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Does this mean Bury are in the 5th div next season or have they gone under?
Gone. Will be a new club if fans form one. Aldershot FC did the same. History gone.

Sad sad day. Given the huge divide of money between EPL, especially the big four and the lower leagues, it’s disgraceful. Horrible system. Owners with huge ambitions and little money crushing teams

Does any money from the EPL and Championship filter through to the lower leagues?

It is becoming harder and harder for the small clubs to compete but also to stay afloat. I doubt there would be many clubs in League One and Two that aren't in financial trouble. I know Carlisle are having some difficulties, we are co-owned by half a dozen local businessmen who don't have the capital to make any worthwhile improvement's to Carlisle home ground (which looks like it was built in the 1950's) and as a results our attendance numbers and budget has been steadily dwindling over the last five years.

A few years ago we had a solid run in the League Cup (IIRC) which included a game at Anfield (which we lost on penalties) and the revenue from that one game was enough to keep our head above water for another year or two. If we don't have a similar run in the FA Cup this year or next, we are probably only five years away from being in a similar position to Bury.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Does any money from the EPL and Championship filter through to the lower leagues?

It is becoming harder and harder for the small clubs to compete but also to stay afloat. I doubt there would be many clubs in League One and Two that aren't in financial trouble. I know Carlisle are having some difficulties, we are co-owned by half a dozen local businessmen who don't have the capital to make any worthwhile improvement's to Carlisle home ground (which looks like it was built in the 1950's) and as a results our attendance numbers and budget has been steadily dwindling over the last five years.

A few years ago we had a solid run in the League Cup (IIRC) which included a game at Anfield (which we lost on penalties) and the revenue from that one game was enough to keep our head above water for another year or two. If we don't have a similar run in the FA Cup this year or next, we are probably only five years away from being in a similar position to Bury.
That’s what I was thinking too. Plus on top of that is the wages of modern day footballers that is inflated and causing a significantly drain on lower league clubs.
Players expect more, yet profits and costs are affected. Feel the EPL should be spreading the profits to grassroots, lower league. Just unfairly unbalanced

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
That’s what I was thinking too. Plus on top of that is the wages of modern day footballers that is inflated and causing a significantly drain on lower league clubs.
Players expect more, yet profits and costs are affected. Feel the EPL should be spreading the profits to grassroots, lower league. Just unfairly unbalanced
That and you have clubs like Salford City who start up with buckets of money to splash cash and pay League 1-2 wages in the conference.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
My understanding is they can reapply to join the Football Association next season, but it will be in a lower level. When Aldershot were kicked out of the old Division Three (fourth level) in 1992 they were readmitted the following season into the Isthmian League Division Three, which was five levels below, Maidstone United were also kicked out 1992 and dropped seven levels. Even AFC Wimbledon when they were admitted into the Football Association in 2003 it was in the ninth level.

I doubt they would allow Bury or Bolton (if they are also kicked out) back in as high as the fifth, at best I would think sixth or seventh. At worst probably ninth.
They aren't kicked out the FA, just the Football League. They have to apply to the FA for re-assignment basically if they are still alive and not liquidated.

Maidstone and AFC Wimbledon are different as they were new clubs. As was Aldershot Town.

Apparently he's asked for the decision to be rescinded and a local councillor has asked for the same saying a deal has been agreed and proof of funds has been provided.

Probably the hail Mary that will come to nothing but there is just a hint that all is not lost.

It appears Bolton have been saved. The takeover by Football Ventures has been completed.

Bolton Takeover

In light of Bury's expulsion, there is some talk that EFL should adopt the German model where the clubs economic performance and other requirements are assessed on a yearly basis to ensure they can complete a league campaign without falling into financial difficulty. It is a requirement for all teams in Germany's top two leagues.

Last edited:
They aren't kicked out the FA, just the Football League. They have to apply to the FA for re-assignment basically if they are still alive and not liquidated.

Maidstone and AFC Wimbledon are different as they were new clubs. As was Aldershot Town.
I can't see Bury surviving in it's current state, I'm pretty sure the liquidators will kill it off sooner rather than later.

If the supporters want to see Bury return, it will have to be like Aldershot, Maidstone and Wimbledon and form a new club before applying to the EFL.

In light of Bury's expulsion, there is some talk that EFL should adopt the German model where the clubs economic performance and other requirements are assessed on a yearly basis to ensure they can complete a league campaign without falling into financial difficulty. It is a requirement for all teams in Germany's top two leagues.

Seems like a no-brainier. So it definitely won't happen...

Sep 15, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders,Crystal Palace F.C
It’s just the beginning of the end. The fans have to buy it out. Can’t see it. The owner still hasn’t sold has he?
Oh yeah definitely. They are especially screwed now that they've been kicked out because they don't have any way to make any money.

That owner sounds like a knobhead as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Bolton got brought out. Thankfully they’re staying in the English League. Long road back, but at least they’ve got another chance.
These owners that are merely millionaires bring accepted are the fault of English Football League committee allowing it to happen.

Occidental

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
An original founding member of the Football League
74 seasons in the top flight.
4 FA Cup wins
First club to win the FA Cup at Wembley
12 times as far as the Semis in the FA Cup
2 League Cup Finals

Bolton Wanderers survive!
COYW

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Thanks for the heads up, I was planning on paying for this one but that'll mean it's on Kayo. I've got to get better at checking the live channels, its a shame Kayo misses that content in it's main section.

Long term it would be really nice if Wimbledon could make themselves at home in the Championship, would make it a lot easier to watch the games and would be a great level for them in their new Plough Lane home. Still expect that to be a couple of seasons away at least, of course this year it should be pretty hard to get relegated with what's happening with Bury and Bolton but I'm a little worried the Dons might try and find a way.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Just the one point for Wimbledon which was probably a fair result. I watched the second half and there was a good bit to like about all their loan players. Goalkeeper Trott is only 20 and West Ham will be happy with where he's at. I could be wrong but I think it was a League one debut for three other loan players, Delaney (23 yr old defender), Forss and Sanders (sub) who are both 20 yrs old.

Give them a few games together and Wimbledon's first win can't be too far away.

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
Bury's membership to the Football League has been withdrawn, their 11th hour takeover bid fell through and now they have been expelled.

Bury's Football League Membership Withdrawn

I don't think there are any Bury supporters who post on this board, but it's a sad day, nearly 135 years of history is wiped away.

RIP Bury.

Incredible to think it was only 21 seasons ago that Manchester City lost a league game at home to Bury.

Hopefully the club can survive and at some stage fight their way back to the EFL.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
What do you get when you play a bunch of kids? Exciting plays and brain fades :rolleyes:. A great strike by Forss, yellow card for the celebration, a second soon after and the Dons concede 3 goals with Trott having a pretty dodgy second half.

I did say it'd take a few games... First win by Chrissy would be nice.

Back