2019/20 Lower & Non-League Thread: Still featuring Sunderland AFC

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
I really hope Brentford keep wining and decide they don't need Marcus Forss back just yet, the kid's been a revelation at Wimbledon AFC and a huge part of why the Dons aren't in even worse shape. Unfortunately I won't be surprised if he's called back in January.

Expect him to join his grandfather as a representative for Finland sooner rather than later.

Barrow had a big 7-0 win against a 10 man Ebbsfleet to move a game clear on top of the National League, with two games in hand. A second Cumbrian team in the Football League is a real possibility.

Just hoping FC United rebound from our first ever relegation.
Started the year pathetic (0-1-3) but have rebounded going 12-4-2 since, including 6 straight league wins (8 overall) and 9 games unbeaten (12 overall).

3rd overall However, we're only 1 point behind 2nd with 2 games in hand.

Would be nice going straight back up.

Also - Looking at the womens team. Currently 2nd in tier 5, but with games in hand we'd be favourite. Wouldn't mind getting to tier 4 to play teams like Leeds United and Newcastle United

Minidisc MD

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I really hope Brentford keep wining and decide they don't need Marcus Forss back just yet, the kid's been a revelation at Wimbledon AFC and a huge part of why the Dons aren't in even worse shape. Unfortunately I won't be surprised if he's called back in January.

Expect him to join his grandfather as a representative for Finland sooner rather than later.
Brentford are in a surreal position. going firm, last season at Griffin Park... get all the reinforcement you can. would be a dream. go Bees.

That means we've got the best youth system in the country right?
I'm not 100% sure if all youth teams are in this, also some games would have severely depleted sides due to timing of other cup games and also the amount of players loaned out.

Carlisle have sold their 17 year old defender to Everton for an undisclosed sum, although it is reported to be between 750,000 and 1 million pounds.
He had only played 11 games in Carlisle's first team, but so highly regarded was his performances that a number EPL teams were looking at him.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon

Not surprising but still disappointing that Marcus Forss has ended his loan deal with Wimbledon, 11 goals in 18 games was a great run and somehow the Dons have to find a replacement, and quickly, if they are to stay out of relegation.

Last edited:

Minidisc MD

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Exciting for Brentford though, time to really start dreaming. if it's all going well by this time next month, I'm going to wish and will my way to the play-offs. once-in-a-lifetime stuff to see a promotion tilt in the last games at GP.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Absolutely, unfortunately he's going back due to a LTI (hamstring I think) but imo, once fit, he will definitely push to be in Brentford's first team.

All the best to Brentford and Forss and hello Sorensen who's replacing Forss as our Brentford loanie for the rest of the season :grinning:.

Interesting little battle happening in the National League between Barrow and Harrogate for the title. Barrow was as low as 19th after 8 rounds and Harrogate 18th after 12 rounds, but have lost a combined 4 games since mid-October to be sitting in first and second with aorund 15 games to go. They have the own little Man C/Liverpool battle going at the moment, although Barrow is probably favourite to take the title as they sit a game clear with two games in hand.

Carlisle drew 1-1 with Oldham. The Cumbrians are now 4pts ahead of last placed Morecombe and Stevenage, with a game in hand.:(

I'll be doubly disappointed if Carlisle are relegated this season because Barrow are doing so well in the National League. Next season we could see our first Cumbrian derby in the Football League since 1977. I think I'd actually fly to the UK to see that.

1.png

Back to back victories for the Cumbrians have seen us open a 10pt gap between us the relegation position currently being held by Stevenage. And we still have a game in hand. This morning we defeated Forest Green Rovers 4-1 away from home which is a very impressive result as the Rovers are currently battling for a playoff spot.

Barrow drew 0-0 with Solihull Moors to open up a 5pt gap at the top of National League with a game in hand.

The odds of a Cumbrian derby next season have strengthened a little this week. :)

Minidisc MD

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Back to back victories for the Cumbrians have seen us open a 10pt gap between us the relegation position currently being held by Stevenage. And we still have a game in hand. This morning we defeated Forest Green Rovers 4-1 away from home which is a very impressive result as the Rovers are currently battling for a playoff spot.

Barrow drew 0-0 with Solihull Moors to open up a 5pt gap at the top of National League with a game in hand.

The odds of a Cumbrian derby next season have strengthened a little this week. :)
Why did you support Carlisle? has to be the most isolated club in the professional ranks. pretty cool.

Why did you support Carlisle? has to be the most isolated club in the professional ranks. pretty cool.
My ancestry is primarily Scottish (the Highlands which is why I support Ross County in the SPFL) and Carlisle United is the closest English professional football team to the Scottish Border.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Happy to check out their surplus though, AFC Wimbledon just loaned a young striker/winger from Rotheram, Julien Lamy, to help cover the loss of Forss. Too late to play tonight but I won't be surprised if he gets named next weekend.

Two late goals have helped Carlisle to a 2-2 draw against Mansfield. The Cumbrians are now 11pts clear of last placed Stevenage.
Barrow defeated Torquay 2-1 to move 7pts clear on top with a game in hand.

What an important point. A first goal for Max Sanders and a last gasp Appiah penalty. Pretty satisfying game. We're now 7 off relegation and 3 off 19th spot. Next couple of weeks are going to be massive

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Really want to see the Dons win tomorrow against Blackpool, 5-0 to Oxford last week was harsh (not sure why Trott was replaced as I thought he was coping fine in goal) and with a couple of games in hand and only 7 points behind, Tranmere still have Wimbledon just in sight as their means out of relegation. I'll be gutted if Wimbledon go down this season and even though there is still plenty of games to go a few wins in the next month or so could just about see them out of danger.

Every point helps
4-4 draw.

Up 2-0 after 40 minutes
2-2 at the half
And we only equalised 4-4 in the 90th minute

Lucky the team on our tail got smashed 5-2 by a mid-table team

But the womens are flying
1 point clear on top of the table with 2 games in hand

Carlisle defeted Cambridge 2-1 to move 17pts clear of Stevenage in last place. Stevenage have only won three games all season, yet are up to their fourth Manager, so I feel we will safety remain in League Two next season. :)

Barrow also won 2-1 against D&R to move eight points clear at the top of the National League. The Cumbrian Derby looks a real chance next season. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Really want to see the Dons win tomorrow against Blackpool, 5-0 to Oxford last week was harsh (not sure why Trott was replaced as I thought he was coping fine in goal) and with a couple of games in hand and only 7 points behind, Tranmere still have Wimbledon just in sight as their means out of relegation. I'll be gutted if Wimbledon go down this season and even though there is still plenty of games to go a few wins in the next month or so could just about see them out of danger.

Gillingham fan here...congrats on the win. We have Sunderland next.

As an aside, we were on a 15 game unbeaten run. I’m assuming that’s what all the papers are talking about when we hear about an unbeaten run ending recently...

Back