2019/20 Melbourne Victory Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Boro fan I will struggle to get behind Gestede after he was always injured, was s**t when he played and then wouldn’t sign a short term deal to see out last season when we were in a relegation battle. Having said that, he will do well at this level when he’s not injured, though it might signal a long ball kind of game plan, he’s huge.

Happy with Butterfield though :)

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As a Boro fan I will struggle to get behind Gestede after he was always injured, was sh*t when he played and then wouldn’t sign a short term deal to see out last season when we were in a relegation battle. Having said that, he will do well at this level when he’s not injured, though it might signal a long ball kind of game plan, he’s huge.

Happy with Butterfield though :)

Now we just need to learn how to cross.

netslave

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Apparently Dylan Ryan on loan:
https://www.transfermarkt.com/dylan-ryan/profil/spieler/480022

https://www.bd.nl/willem-ii/dylan-ryan-maakt-seizoen-af-bij-melbourne-victory~ace5373a/
Translated article:

Dylan Ryan finishes season with Melbourne Victory

Dylan Ryan returns to Australia. Several clubs from that country have recently shown interest in the 20-year-old central defender, who has a contract with Willem II until 2022. He will be rented to Melbourne Victory until the end of the season.
Wilber Hack 06-11-20, 19:34 Source: BD

Ryan's first job will be playing out matches in the Asian Champions League. That tournament is played out in a bubble in Qatar. Melbourne Victory will face Beijing Guoan on November 27. Ryan will probably travel to Qatar immediately. There, with its new club, it also encounters Chiangrai in Thailand and Seoul in Korea. He then goes to Australia with the team to prepare for the start of the new competition.

Willem II extended the contract with the defender in February, who made the switch from Liverpool to the Tilburg club in 2017. That contract extension came shortly after Ryan had qualified with Australia under 23 for the Olympic final tournament. By playing for a club from that country, he hopes to increase his chances of a place in the selection for the Games in Tokyo.

Ryan has played exhibition matches to date, but not yet an official match in Willem II's first team. The left-footed central defender could eventually replace Jordens Peters at the Tilburg club. With Jan-Arie van der Heijden, Willem II has had a player for a month who can also work in that position.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool

I'd say go back to playing at an NPL level and enjoy your football but I got abused to s**t there too so maybe a Sunday league? Actually, umm.

But seriously, should go play NPL in Tassie for a year.

I'd say go back to playing at an NPL level and enjoy your football but I got abused to sh*t there too so maybe a Sunday league? Actually, umm.

But seriously, should go play NPL in Tassie for a year.

youre own team mates abuse you there

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Any news on a striker apart from Gestede? Surely can't be too long before someone like Mitch Duke has things go pearshaped and is released from his Saudi Arabian club. Can't believe we haven't had a crack at someone like Tomi Juric who surely can't be enjoying life too much in covid riddled Bulgaria.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Is this league even gonna happen? Six weeks till the 'suppose' start of the season and no fixture still! Pull your collective fingers out FFA!
I wont be getting my MVFC membership till a fixture is released and a start date is officially confirmed.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Is this league even gonna happen? Six weeks till the 'suppose' start of the season and no fixture still! Pull your collective fingers out FFA!
I wont be getting my MVFC membership till a fixture is released and a start date is officially confirmed.

The start date has been confirmed (27th Dec). It is definitely happening. Just a matter of border closures being resolved to finalise fixtures.

netslave

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pretty much the worst possible year for the clubs to finally get control of their own destinies from the FFA.
Would have been better off waiting a year until COVID has passed so clubs are in better shape to capitalise on their new positions imo.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
The start date has been confirmed (27th Dec). It is definitely happening. Just a matter of border closures being resolved to finalise fixtures.

Is that an official confirmation by the FFA? Surly the league should have a draft fixture at least out and leaked (all subject to change in case of worse case scenarios.)

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Is that an official confirmation by the FFA? Surly the league should have a draft fixture at least out and leaked (all subject to change in case of worse case scenarios.)

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
The only one confirmed so far is NSW/VIC border on Nov 23. Will need confirmation of VIC/QLD travel and SA/NSW/VIC travel before finalising fixtures.

WA who knows whats going on. At this rate they'll be closed until 2024.
SA just did Dec 1 and pretty Morrison just announced all before Xmas but haven’t read article myself

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
If I had a job/am able to get a job sometime soon, I'll be rejoining the Vuck this season.

I'm not going to lie and say I know heaps about these players we're signing - I've seen the same highlights videos and articles as everyone else. But it excites me because Brebs has clearly planned out where the visa spots are going to go, he's worked out a philosophy he wants to play, and he's signing players to fit it.

What sounds like a semi-route one game plan might be boring football, but it's been years - probably the 2015 win - since we had a genuine onfield identity and personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back