NFL 2019/20 - Off-season. Coaching/GM News

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Texans coach Bill O'Brien suggested the team is not planning to hire a GM this offseason.
"The way I see it right now, it stays the way it is," O'Brien stated on the organization's infrastructure. The Texans' head coach has been acting as the de facto general manager since Houston parted ways with ex-GM Brian Gaine in June, leveraging the team's long-term assets to save his own job in the short-term. O'Brien, for example, swapped a third-round pick for Duke Johnson, shipped two first-round picks and a second-rounder to Miami for LT Laremy Tunsil and Kenny Stills, sent another third-rounder to Oakland for CB Gareon Conley, and essentially gifted Jadeveon Clowney to the Seahawks for a ham sandwich all in the span of six months. Executive VP of team development Jack Easterby has also reportedly had a say in the team's final decisions, but it's clear the Texans have handed O'Brien far too much power for an individual with just two playoff wins in his six-year tenure.
SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter
Jan 13, 2020, 2:01 PM ET

Lions hired Eagles DBs coach Cory Undlin as defensive coordinator.
This will be the 48-year-old's first coordinating gig following over a decade of experience as both a position coach and defensive assistant. Undlin and Lions coach Matt Patricia got their start together as assistants under Patriots coach Bill Belichick in the early 2000s. He'll replace Paul Pasqualoni, who recently stepped away from his defensive coordinator post to spend more time with his family, among other pursuits. Philadelphia's secondary largely struggled in 2019, though that had more to do with injuries than anything Undlin did or didn't do.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter
Jan 13, 2020, 8:29 AM ET

Staggering, given rumours were we were considering firing him.

Our secondary has been a mess for years.

Texans coach Bill O'Brien suggested the team is not planning to hire a GM this offseason.
"The way I see it right now, it stays the way it is," O'Brien stated on the organization's infrastructure. The Texans' head coach has been acting as the de facto general manager since Houston parted ways with ex-GM Brian Gaine in June, leveraging the team's long-term assets to save his own job in the short-term. O'Brien, for example, swapped a third-round pick for Duke Johnson, shipped two first-round picks and a second-rounder to Miami for LT Laremy Tunsil and Kenny Stills, sent another third-rounder to Oakland for CB Gareon Conley, and essentially gifted Jadeveon Clowney to the Seahawks for a ham sandwich all in the span of six months. Executive VP of team development Jack Easterby has also reportedly had a say in the team's final decisions, but it's clear the Texans have handed O'Brien far too much power for an individual with just two playoff wins in his six-year tenure.
SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter
Jan 13, 2020, 2:01 PM ET

And why you dont let those setting long term strategies with win now execution.

Dorsey was so much more tolerant than I EVER would have been...lol

I woulda thrown that SOB out of the building

2D58C4FC-D028-4DD9-80FA-BF4F426C4235.jpeg

Like having the KGB political officer on a Soviet submarine

Any wonder there was dysfunction this year. I noticed no mention of that when Williams was interim and they went 5-3.

He woulda punched the guy out when he called in plays ;)

Yeah Undlin was great in Denver but a mess here. Barely any DB has been developed, some regressed in the case of Darby/McLeod.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not sure what is more disturbing....the way this guy acts or that fact you found him ;)

He's very good at scouting reports believe it or not. 😮

I do agree he's far too over the top tho, take your medication, there is no need for all the yelling.

He's very good at scouting reports believe it or not. 😮

I turned him off after 2 minutes...I wasn't sure if he was on the FBI most wanted list and I didn't want to put any lotion in the basket. ;)

I will trust you that he actually knows his stuff lol

I turned him off after 2 minutes...I wasn't sure if he was on the FBI most wanted list and I didn't want to put any lotion in the basket. ;)

I will trust you that he actually knows his stuff lol

He does hurt your ears on vids like this, guess I've just got used to it over the years, in between all the unrequired screaming and yelling there are some good points.

Hes a 40 year old WWE fan, got to be a bit of a nutjob to still be one as an adult. 😉

He does hurt your ears on vids like this, guess I've just got used to it over the years, in between all the unrequired screaming and yelling there are some good points.

I get you probably need a schtich to stand out on these you tube type things. I just found his cater-wailing a bit over the top.

I know you understand my whole thing is the desire of the Browns to re-invent the wheel. I do not question that analytics have a place...I DO question having guys like Berry/Depodesta/Brown in spots where expertise at the actual nuts and bolts of evaluations are necessary to make better football selections/decisions.

These guys think that numbers, tests and scores ensure you can plug and play players. There is no doubt in my mind they will re-sign Schobert. He is a nice player whom they overvalue because he tested well for them and racks up statistical things that the spreadsheets love.

You aren't going to win when that kind of player is the best they ever found the first time around.

I know someone will say they drafted Myles Garrett. Pretty sure anyone on this board can make that selection. Of more concern to me is the two years spent avoiding players that could have had even more of an impact but they decided to trade down. (Most egregiously from 2-8-15 and taking Coleman--a spark score wonder)

I get you probably need a schtich to stand out on these you tube type things. I just found his cater-wailing a bit over the top.

I know you understand my whole thing is the desire of the Browns to re-invent the wheel. I do not question that analytics have a place...I DO question having guys like Berry/Depodesta/Brown in spots where expertise at the actual nuts and bolts of evaluations are necessary to make better football selections/decisions.

These guys think that numbers, tests and scores ensure you can plug and play players. There is no doubt in my mind they will re-sign Schobert. He is a nice player whom they overvalue because he tested well for them and racks up statistical things that the spreadsheets love.

You aren't going to win when that kind of player is the best they ever found the first time around.

I know someone will say they drafted Myles Garrett. Pretty sure anyone on this board can make that selection. Of more concern to me is the two years spent avoiding players that could have had even more of an impact but they decided to trade down. (Most egregiously from 2-8-15 and taking Coleman--a spark score wonder)

Funny you mention Garrett, one of the mad screamer and yellers main points when it comes to constantly shiting on the Browns (re: the Garrett draft) is that that they not only overlooked Mahomes and Watson at pick 1, but they also overlooked them again at pick 11 or whatever it was when trading back. Something that a lot of people tend to forget.

Funny you mention Garrett, one of the mad screamer and yellers main points when it comes to the Browns re: the Garrett draft is that that they not only overlooked Mahomes and Watson at pick 1, but they also overlooked them again at pick 11 or whatever it was when trading back. Something that a lot of people tend to forget.

Way I look at it...in 2016, they should have stayed at 2 and gotten Wentz. I can't hate the Ogbah selection in 2nd round...but given the offense woes, I do question why a guy like Michael Thomas wasn't on their radar at the 2nd selection. But to be clear, in my mind, missing on Wentz was inexcusable (regardless of what we now know about his injury history)

In 2017, because they didn't do the above in 2016--yes you can question what they had Mahomes/Watson evaluated at. Goes back to what my biggest concern is---these guys (including Berry) are not well equipped to make decisions except by what their numbers say.

As an aside, listening to Depodesta and boy he likes being in the forefront. A lot. ;)

Way I look at it...in 2016, they should have stayed at 2 and gotten Wentz. I can't hate the Ogbah selection in 2nd round...but given the offense woes, I do question why a guy like Michael Thomas wasn't on their radar at the 2nd selection. But to be clear, in my mind, missing on Wentz was inexcusable (regardless of what we now know about his injury history)

In 2017, because they didn't do the above in 2016--yes you can question what they had Mahomes/Watson evaluated at. Goes back to what my biggest concern is---these guys (including Berry) are not well equipped to make decisions except by what their numbers say.

As an aside, listening to Depodesta and boy he likes being in the forefront. A lot. ;)

It's always looks easier in hindsight but I agree on the passing up on numerous QBs was just illogical, just to wait for the next Peyton Manning that never arrives.

Bet they are quietly fuming that Joe Burrow fell into Cincinatti's hands, probably told Jimmy that if he was patient that could have been us instead.

It's always looks easier in hindsight but I agree on the passing up on numerous QBs was just illogical, just to wait for the next Peyton Manning that never arrives.

Bet they are quietly fuming that Joe Burrow fell into Cincinatti's hands, probably told Jimmy that if he was patient that could have been us instead.

Wentz wasn't hindsight though--I know I was pretty adamant they should take the qb and not trade down. But again they value collecting picks and pushing things off to the future.

Depodesta has full control of the organization and he can't hide behind other people now. For that, I am at least grateful. Accountability is something often avoided the last few years, not only by him, but also by others in the organization.

Maybe he can ace this and show how an organization predicated on his beliefs can succeed in the NFL---we will all get a chance to see.

The most telling initial thing he does to me will be who gets jettisoned via trades in the next few months. I expect OBJ to be gone and I expect one of Hunt/Chubb to be gone. If he deals Landry, it's a case trying of to snowjob Jimmah into some sort of "3-4 year plan"...and that is just utter nonsense.

So we shall see

Wentz wasn't hindsight though--I know I was pretty adamant they should take the qb and not trade down. But again they value collecting picks and pushing things off to the future.

Depodesta has full control of the organization and he can't hide behind other people now. For that, I am at least grateful. Accountability is something often avoided the last few years, not only by him, but also by others in the organization.

Maybe he can ace this and show how an organization predicated on his beliefs can succeed in the NFL---we will all get a chance to see.

The most telling initial thing he does to me will be who gets jettisoned via trades in the next few months. I expect OBJ to be gone and I expect one of Hunt/Chubb to be gone. If he deals Landry, its a case trying to snowjob Jimmah into some sort of "3-4 year plan"...and that is just utter nonsense.

So we shall see

I was more referring to the Michael Thomas pick in the second round re; hindsight.

I was more referring the Michael Thomas pick in the second round re; hindsight.

Well, you tell me---if you are restructuring your offense and you select Wentz at 2, doesn't it make sense to go offense again in the second round. As for Thomas, I guess my feeling is this---dude played at Ohio State.

How an organization like the Browns cannot have intimate contacts inside that program defies logic--UNLESS the guys running the show are not "football guys". Is it really a stretch to wonder why they wouldn't have been privy to his potential?

You know an organization that makes a living off of Ohio programs, including Ohio State? Pittspuke.

I guess that is where my real concerns with these guys actual evaluation abilities are.

There is a place for on the ground scouting/knowledge/relationships.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back