Training 2019/20 Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Do i bench more than...pffffft

Barrass is a piss ant bruz. I'm like Arnold in Predator./QUOTE]
Barrass is a much bigger man than Arnold so could very well benching similar numbers (like 110kg) . But I would love to see a pic of your rig :) no homo

Not sure in what world Sidebottom is playing full forward 1 v 1 against Schofield. I take your point, but Schofield will get the job done. What other options do we have without Gov and Barrass? Rotham?
Brander.Excellent overhead.Reads the ball well in flight and seems to have really good bodywork.Whatever we do i just hope we go back to 2018 and not be afraid to throw people into the deep end.I thought in 2019 we went into our shells a bit and tried to stick to "tried and true".

Brander.Excellent overhead.Reads the ball well in flight and seems to have really good bodywork.Whatever we do i just hope we go back to 2018 and not be afraid to throw people into the deep end.I thought in 2019 we went into our shells a bit and tried to stick to "tried and true".
Agree brander is next option

Not sure Brander has 'really good bodywork'. From what I've seen of him as a defender, he uses his quickness and anticipation to kill contests or mark the ball.

Would not be at all comfortable with him isolated in the back line.

Not sure Brander has 'really good bodywork'. From what I've seen of him as a defender, he uses his quickness and anticipation to kill contests or mark the ball.

Would not be at all comfortable with him isolated in the back line.
Those abilities make it easier to get good body position.I think he is very good below his knees unlike Rotham who goes to ground ala WAFL footy.

Getting in a good position is one thing, not getting tossed aside or out maneuvered by a bigger, more experienced opponent is something else.

Agree brander is next option
Talking about different roles, Brander goes back to CHB. Who plays fullback if Sexual and Gov are both out.

Brander is very unlikely to be played as a KPD.
Listen to the latest press conference's by Gaff and Simpson.

They both mention him alongside guys like Ryan, Petch, Cripps and Venables (wing and hff positions)

I don't think a KP is even in their thinking for Brander.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry about the delay in getting a report back from Monday. Wasn't in Perth long and hectic family schedule...by that I mean, getting to the beach and then stuffing my face with mum's cooking.

Got there around 10 and after I grabbed a coffee and H&C croissant from Laika, ambled over to the ovals but had to watch through the gates as it was a closed session. I was a bit excited given I don't get to see the lads this close up so I was more interested in seeing who I could recognise than what they were doing.

Some of my observations:
- Gov and Oscar doing runs at a decent clip around the outer oval.
- Other boys were going through a bit of a ball movement drill on the main oval. Was pleased to see Hickey about but I didn't actually see him do anything, he didn't hang around for long.
- Good to see Barrass on the park kicking and moving reasonably well. Didn't stick around much after that though.
- TK stuck out though...smooth mover, and looks powerful, didn't miss too many targets...hard to miss him though with those pink/white boots.
- most of the other boys looked pretty sharp during this drill, the ones that looked a bit sloppy I didn't recognise instantly so figured they were 1st/2nd year players.

Walked around and entered the oval through the main gates, got to the fence around the oval only to be shoo-ed off by security as it was a closed session. Ended up watching from the green keeper's sheds, which actually wasn't a bad vantage point.

Further observations:
- Kennedy was moving bloody well. Quite a few drills where mobility, evasion, strength required and he was turning his man inside out on a dime...he was gassed though after each drill. On his haunches or squatting to get his breath back. Was getting good separation from defenders (mostly against Edwards) in the match Sim.
- Every time I watched JD he seemed to stuff up. Turned the ball over, dropped chest marks etc. Moving well though thought it was interesting the boys kept hitting Kennedy up in the match Sim
- Duggan looks bigger. Seems more assured with his ball use too. Killed some contests and went for a run without the ball. Defensive winger????
- Hurn is just a master at getting himself into great position, just had a knack of being in the right zone where he can drop off and pick off the ball coming in.
- the session was pretty willing with plenty of hard tackles, plenty caught holding the ball, including Shuey by Gaff, Rotham got dumped by I think it was Nelson. Got a 50m for not giving up the ball and Nelson converted the resultant shot at goal.
- Schofield took the chance to give Waterman a bit of an ear massage spoiling the ball over the line, Waterman not happy, gave him a big shove. Nothing untoward but showed the boys were playing full on. Good to see
- Willy took part in the drills but not in the match Sims. He definitely has been taking care of himself. Looks trim. Was a bit sloppy with his disposal though. Missed and scrubbed kicks he would normally make.
- Ryan looks fit again. Did a mountain of running up and back, but as always looked gassed after his efforts.
- Edwards getting plenty of time one on one from J Graham and Hurn after the session about how to play the incoming ball if you're the one with touch on your player or the spare.
- Shuey doing extra drills to gather dirty ball on half forward and hit leading forwards. Would've done 15 to 20 of these.
- NicNat looks good. Seems pretty mobile. Was involved in all but a couple of drills/Sims - where he did sprints instead. Wasn't sure whether he was going half paced but didn't seem to win too many clear ruck taps against Williams
- Williams was opposed to NicNat for most of the Sims and drills. Didn't do too bad considering who he was up against.
- Jamieson is a beanpole. He is a few years away at best, but he does seem to have decent skills. Hit all his targets by hand and foot when I was watching him anyway. Got held out of match Sims and along with a few others I couldn't recognise had to do run throughs on the outer oval.
- BJ is tiny. Photos make him look well built, and I guess he is pretty toned, but he looks pretty small against other lads.
- Sheppard was everywhere. Looks in very good Nick. He may be the new demolition man Perth has been looking for.
- Jetts was Jetts...pulling off bullshit kicks like it ain't no thing. Opening up the play. Did turn it over once though.
- Amazing how hard these lads work. It was hot..and they were going at it full tilt. So bloody hard to keep up with everything going on.... especially with my dodgy eyes.
- Didn't see Simmo at all.

Took some time to go have a look through the facilities. Looks mint!! Love the Premiership cups lined up at the entrance!!! They look like the real deal, is that even possible, surely they're replicas?? Better than having them in a glass cabinet though. Thought they could've got a bit more historic items/photos displayed. Do like the Club Champion wall. But it's not over top. Didn't realise until later that we could've watched the whole session through the glass windows (balcony closed off for closed sessions) from the cafe. Ah well.

All in all a great morning followed by a swim down Scarborough and a couple of beers.

Edit: Watched a fair bit of Brander and he really is a smooth mover. Managed to get himself out of trouble in tight spots and get the ball moving forward. Hit his targets most of the time. Probably fluffed two kicks (scrubbed one short of target and had another intercepted). Really would like to see his development put to test in the AFL.

Franky Watson was pretty good throughout the session too. Hit some nice targets and was showing some pace off the ball.

Few of the drills focused on one-on-one contested work that requires one to defend the other from getting balls that woukd be thrown in at the attacking player, who then had to dispose before the tackle came. It was intense and hard work. Good to watch though.

On CPH1707 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Sorry about the delay in getting a report back from Monday. Wasn't in Perth long and hectic family schedule...by that I mean, getting to the beach and then stuffing my face with mum's cooking.

Got there around 10 and after I grabbed a coffee and H&C croissant from Laika, ambled over to the ovals but had to watch through the gates as it was a closed session. I was a bit excited given I don't get to see the lads this close up so I was more interested in seeing who I could recognise than what they were doing.

Some of my observations:
- Other boys were going through a bit of a ball movement drill on the main oval. Was pleased to see Hickey about but I didn't actually see him do anything, he didn't hang around for long.
- Good to see Barrass on the park kicking and moving reasonably well. Didn't stick around much after that though.
- TK stuck out though...smooth mover, and looks powerful, didn't miss too many targets...hard to miss him though with those pink/white boots.
- most of the other boys looked pretty sharp during this drill, the ones that looked a bit sloppy I didn't recognise instantly so figured they were 1st/2nd year players.

Walked around and entered the oval through the main gates, got to the fence around the oval only to be shoo-ed off by security as it was a closed session. Ended up watching from the green keeper's sheds, which actually wasn't a bad vantage point.

Further observations:
- Kennedy was moving bloody well. Quite a few drills where mobility, evasion, strength required and he was turning his man inside out on a dime...he was gassed though after each drill. On his haunches or squatting to get his breath back. Was getting good separation from defenders (mostly against Edwards) in the match Sim.
- Every time I watched JD he seemed to stuff up. Turned the ball over, dropped chest marks etc. Moving well though thought it was interesting the boys kept hitting Kennedy up in the match Sim
- Duggan looks bigger. Seems more assured with his ball use too. Killed some contests and went for a run without the ball. Defensive winger????
- Hurn is just a master at getting himself into great position, just had a knack of being in the right zone where he can drop off and pick off the ball coming in.
- the session was pretty willing with plenty of hard tackles, plenty caught holding the ball, including Shuey by Gaff, Rotham got dumped by I think it was Nelson. Got a 50m for not giving up the ball and Nelson converted the resultant shot at goal.
- Schofield took the chance to give Waterman a bit of an ear massage spoiling the ball over the line, Waterman not happy, gave him a big shove. Nothing untoward but showed the boys were playing full on. Good to see
- Willy took part in the drills but not in the match Sims. He definitely has been taking care of himself. Looks trim. Was a bit sloppy with his disposal though. Missed and scrubbed kicks he would normally make.
- Ryan looks fit again. Did a mountain of running up and back, but as always looked gassed after his efforts.
- Edwards getting plenty of time one on one from J Graham and Hurn after the session about how to play the incoming ball if you're the one with touch on your player or the spare.
- Shuey doing extra drills to gather dirty ball on half forward and hit leading forwards. Would've done 15 to 20 of these.
- NicNat looks good. Seems pretty mobile. Was involved in all but a couple of drills/Sims - where he did sprints instead. Wasn't sure whether he was going half paced but didn't seem to win too many clear ruck taps against Williams
- Williams was opposed to NicNat for most of the Sims and drills. Didn't do too bad considering who he was up against.
- Jamieson is a beanpole. He is a few years away at best, but he does seem to have decent skills. Hit all his targets by hand and foot when I was watching him anyway. Got held out of match Sims and along with a few others I couldn't recognise had to do run throughs on the outer oval.
- BJ is tiny. Photos make him look well built, and I guess he is pretty toned, but he looks pretty small against other lads.
- Sheppard was everywhere. Looks in very good Nick. He may be the new demolition man Perth has been looking for.
- Jetts was Jetts...pulling off bullshit kicks like it ain't no thing. Opening up the play. Did turn it over once though.
- Amazing how hard these lads work. It was hot..and they were going at it full tilt. So bloody hard to keep up with everything going on.... especially with my dodgy eyes.

Took some time to go have a look through the facilities. Looks mint!! Love the Premiership cups lined up at the entrance!!! They look like the real deal, is that even possible, surely they're replicas?? Better than having them in a glass cabinet though. Thought they could've got a bit more historic items/photos displayed. Do like the Club Champion wall. But it's not over top. Didn't realise until later that we could've watched the whole session through the glass windows (balcony closed off for closed sessions) from the cafe. Ah well.

All in all a great morning followed by a swim down Scarborough and a couple of beers.

Edit: Watched a fair bit of Brander and he really is a smooth mover. Managed to get himself out of trouble in tight spots and get the ball moving forward. Hit his targets most of the time. Probably fluffed two kicks (scrubbed one short of target and had another intercepted). Really would like to see his development put to test in the AFL.

Franky Watson was pretty good throughout the session too. Hit some nice targets and was showing some pace off the ball.

Few of the drills focused on one-on-one contested work that requires one to defend the other from getting balls that woukd be thrown in at the attacking player, who then had to dispose before the tackle came. It was intense and hard work. Good to watch though.

Was watson with the backline group? Or in match sim? I'm hoping they give him a crack at the midfield this year

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Some of my observations:

Further observations:

Thanks for the update! love it. what position was Brander looking like he will play?

Some of my observations:

Further observations:

Thanks , that is great reporting ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Brander is very unlikely to be played as a KPD.
Listen to the latest press conference's by Gaff and Simpson.

They both mention him alongside guys like Ryan, Petch, Cripps and Venables (wing and hff positions)

I don't think a KP is even in their thinking for Brander.
I have written him up as being the replacement for Hurn/Jetta.Short term with Barass/Gov out i think we do what we've always done.Make do.Brander/Schoey/OAllen/Rotham are all handy.OA is probably the best mark of all of them but he doesnt have the kicking penetration of Brander.Plus he's so creative that i think long term he's wasted in defence.Unfortunately defenders;esp key defenders;seem to take longer to mature.I would like to pause here and once again apologise to Darren Glass for all those expletives directed his way early in his career! I think Brander could play wing/forward with ease but with Williams and OA looming large i think the forward line looks good.I would like to see Frankie go to a wing as i believe with his pace and tenacity he would be a hit.So i hark back to defence.Schoey/Jetta/Hurn will need replacing sooner rather than later.
On a different note whats happening with Xavier Francis?Our No1 draftee has hardly had a mention over the last year.Anybody got news on how hes tracking? I smell leather!!

Was watson with the backline group? Or in match sim? I'm hoping they give him a crack at the midfield this year

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Seemed to start back of centre in the match sims, although interestingly they only had five in the back fifty, perhaps short on players?? He floated up the wings a bit, as did Duggan. It was Schoey, Hurn and Shep that held position in the back. I honestly couldn't say which group he was with during the drills sorry. Apologies for the poor level of detail. There's just so much going on, even during the match sims and I was a bit star struck so got distracted by little things.

I hope it is only till JK hangs up the boots as he looked so natural playing in the forward line.
Yeah he said he is still being used on a needs basis so no set position but likely in defence at least in the early stages of the season. Could be KPF post JK.

I wonder if that means Brander will be used on the HF in place of Waterman this year because they will no doubt want to get him in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back