Training 2019/20 Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO, the saddest part about Mitchell retiring at the end of 2017 was that he never got to play as a rover under NN. I think they would have worked wonderfully together.

I get the same feeling with Kelly. It might take a little while to develop & He might cop the brunt of tags next year, but having a 3rd legitimate ball winner in the middle (with Shuey and Yeo) being fed by NN makes us so much more dynamic as a midfield group next year.

IMO while our current midfield group isn't better than 2006, what we have now is the best we've had since then. In that respect, we're in for a fantastic year.

Adding Kelly means we now have a trio of A grade midfielders for the first time in 13 years (three A graders in their prime - in 2012, Kerr was somewhat past his absolute best and Shuey was still emerging).

IMO while our current midfield group isn't better than 2006, what we have now is the best we've had since then. In that respect, we're in for a fantastic year.

Adding Kelly means we now have a trio of A grade midfielders for the first time in 13 years (three A graders in their prime - in 2012, Kerr was somewhat past his absolute best and Shuey was still emerging).

Yep, I said it earlier that this is the best midfield we've had in about 15 years. Pretty exciting. If NN plays a full season it's hard to see how they'll be stopped. And with a dominant midfield it will take some pressure off our backline who showed some cracks in 2019.

At the end of a pretty full on 2 hour session and he was still doing a bit of work. Albeit he sat out some of the more gruelling drills

He’s getting a proper preseason which can only be a good thing

Kelly wearing a tag doesn't bother me one bit. Boots and Yeoy running around without one will be savage.

Excellent position to be in isn't it.

In the past one of Yeo/Shuey gets tagged one gets off the chain but with Kelly in the team.... Woof!

We have also had Gaff in the guts ( 2019) which has limited his disposal efficiency somewhat so this means he can play purely outside and become extremely damaging again. So now teams will be looking at who to tag! Do they go one of the inside mids in Shuey, Yeo and Kelly who love to kick goals or do they go for Gaff who is getting it up on the outside.

THEN this leaves players like Redden and Sheed to do their thing unassisted. PLUS a fit Nic nat tapping the ball where he wants...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I changed my tune a lot about Nick Riewoldt when he spoke very highly on EMac after he retired, saying he was one of the better defenders he had played against.

I furthered my loathing a lot about Nick Riewoldt as he lead the 'Kelly should be forced to go to Freo herp derp' arguement all while St Kilda pursued a contracted front-loaded-part-of-the-contract-finished B.Hill.
Nick is a tosser of the highest order.

As for Clayton Oliver & Jack Viney, I think we broke them in 2018. I think it’s unfair to punch them while they are down.

That first half should be rated R - it was murder. A genocide even.

Turned up to watch training. Gates locked on outer side. No security this time but abundantly clear fans weren’t welcome.

Guess I’m watching through the mesh fence again. No idea why the club do this. I understand they don’t want every session advertised as open as having several hundred supporters watching would be distracting if not a hindrance. But me and a handful of others watching through a fence is not really any different to watching from the grass banks. Anyway, that’s my little rant about what’s a relatively minor inconvenience, onto what I saw.

* Hick and Reid doing laps on the mcg
* A pair of Umps warming up on the outer oval as well. One is wearing number 6 and a google search reveals this is friend of the Dockers, Dean Margetts.
* Separate jumpers. Blue and peril. Must be a match sim brewing.
* Barrass, Vardy, Venables, Allen, Ah Chee and Brayshaw all warming up but not in jumpers
* No sign of Gov. Eating pies with Pickett again
* Blue team is warming up closest to my end and it appears they’ve been loaded with the main talent. Treacy, Cole and Williams are the only non best 22 in blue. Sheed and redden I don’t see in blue
* Allen with backs in pregame warmup
* Duggan warming up with the mids
* Aforementioned rehabs not in jumpers out of the group now and make their way to the MCG
* Coin toss. Gaff captain for blue, can’t make out gold skipper
* 16 aside onfield it appears based on a quick head count
* Rioli playing so he’s fully involved
* Cameron marks strongly and goals from 50 as gold have the better of it early
* Darling outmarks Edwards plays on and goals to equalise. Simmo makes him go back and kick a set shot from 30. Same result
* Steep learning curve for Edwards this preseason
* Goal to Kelly for blue
* Duggan playing on the wing
* Exxon doing well for the gold team through midfield. Positive signs for him
* Just realised I can’t see brander
* Kelly 💕. Chopping up
* Rotham been good across half back for gold.
* Petrie having a run in defence for gold. First time I’ve seen him around the club since Christmas. Glad he’s back around.
* McInnes also playing as a Washington General against Naitanui. A little bit concerning that he’s more than holding his own against the big fella who isn’t having much impact
* After about 10-15 minutes of game time they split. Mids on main oval, forwards and backs over to the MCG
* Decide to watch forwards and backs as there’s no fence in the way. Mids look like they’re just running anyway, may have done something else but I wasn’t watching
* Two groups at either end with forwards and backs doing competitive 1v1 work either on a lead or under a high ball. Defender then has to work on blocking the forward as they go back to the starting point with coaches repeatedly calling out not to give away an imaginary free kick
* Duggan is back in this group and not the mids
* Rotham and Waterman having a red hot go. Gets quite willing
* Graham upset at Rotham for not blocking Waterman on the way back. Rotham exclaims he ******* beat him back and got to the cone first. Nice guy Graham isn’t happy with this and after the next contest reminds him in no uncertain terms that the instructions were to block and he should do as he’s ******* told. I was a good 70-80m away from where Graham was standing but heard him clearly. He’s obviouslyvcapable of getting his point across when required.
* Session goes for a good 10 minutes at high intensity and I’m tired just watching it. No surprise that JK is blowing pretty hard
* There’s Brander. He’s WALKING laps. Never breaks into a jog so I’m guessing some sort of hopefully minor leg strain that the physios are being cautious with. No strapping that I could see
* Second half for the match sim now. Teams have been changed a bit. More even spread of talent across the two teams
* Duggan back to defence for this
* Nice BJ. Sets up a Kelly goal. Johnson has a good patch around this point did some really good work and moved through traffic well. Good disposal
* Treacy also doing some nice things including a solid run down tackle. Hasn’t looked out of place
* Game over. That didn’t go as long.
* Players into smaller groups and it’s hard to keep track of everybody but notice that Williams departs. He had a relatively quiet match sim
* More drills now. One closest to me mainly involves running around like headless chooks. Group on opposite side look like they’re doing a more skill based drill that still has a running component
* Good to see Nic and JK still involved. Nic didn’t do the headless chook thing but JK did. Poor bastard looked buggered
* Moneill training hard
* Nelson and hutch also among the hardest workers
* First years split away to the MCG doing stationary work as rest of the group do some full field ball movement work
* More match sim about to start it seems
* Willie going back to play in defence this time
* Petch and dugg in the middle now combining for a centre clearance after petch sharked Nics ruck tap
* Waterman having an influence up forward this stanza
* There’s Gov wandering around doing nothing. Must have finished the pies and left Pickett with the donuts
* “Turn it up” yells Simmo and the music comes on. Replicating crowd noise?
* Nico!!!! The God is playing across half back making up numbers as well as Bateman
* Shuey finding more of it in this period
* Nelson collects at half back, ignores the hand pass option to Kelly and goes on a run through the middle. Nice pass inside 50 sets up a shot at goal.
* Shortly after a nice set shot from Kelly closes out the match sim. Just on Kelly. It’s a delight watching him work with our midfield and especially that he remains dangerous pushing forward. Adds a new dynamic to our team that we didn’t have before, makes us more rounded
* Bit after 11.30 and they’re done after some goal kicking thing from the pocket involving Watson, Yeo and Edwards. Too far away to make out what it was all about
* Some players leaving others staying doing different things in small groups or 1 on 1 This was when I took the video of Naitanui posted earlier. Definitely getting some miles in those legs of his.
* Time to go
* I liked a lot of what Watson did in the match sim and was impressed with Exxon’s work. Johnson and Treacy gave cause for some longer term optimism
* On the opposite side of the ledger JK and Nic weren’t great. Expected more from Naitanui given his lack of class opposition.
* Don’t know what to make of Brander walking laps but you’d have to assume he’s strained something. He didn’t jog that I saw and wasn’t kicking the footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back