Training 2019/20 Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Pre season time, canā€™t wait for all the ā€œplayer X has bulked upā€

Braydo Brainsworth Bubbaā€™s ball drop looks more to the side of the ball than underneath here. Would have to watch training to know for sure but at least this photo looks like an improvement. And look campaigners, he is an inside/in traffic player but im assuming you havenā€™t watched many Beagle games because you would have seen that. He was rotated on a wing a lot to help him develop his skills and also I dare say protect his finger. PS: he was probably BOG in the final they won. That doesnā€™t go unnoticed!

I question WC's drafting and subsequent usage/development of Ainsworth rather than the kid himself.

I watch basically every Beagles game and Ainsworth is usually one of their better players. I'm impressed at how tough he is. Has a crack.

Doesn't stop me getting annoyed every time he lollipops a kick to a teammate though.

I question WC's drafting and subsequent usage/development of Ainsworth rather than the kid himself.

I watch basically every Beagles game and Ainsworth is usually one of their better players. I'm impressed at how tough he is. Has a crack.

Doesn't stop me getting annoyed every time he lollipops a kick to a teammate though.

How do your rate Edwards? Where have they been mainly playing him?

Iā€™ve wondered for a few years now whether thereā€™s a disconnect between the coaches and the recruiters.

Given the focus on kicking/possession I wonder what their opinion of Ainsworth was at draft time. And I wonder if they requested two first round KPFs in 2017, given theyā€™re now stuck trying to fit them all in.
I am on record of disliking the Ainsworth pick and had ruled him out due to poor kicking in the second carnival game I saw him play at Subiaco. That said, the pitch by the recruiters would have been easy in that he made the U18 AA side named in centre and from memory he had the highest number of contested possessions in the carnival.

Just watched some Anus videos, a u18's highlights package and one highlights of his game at AFL level.

At u18 level his disposal was fine without being outstanding, obviously had a lot more time to dispose of it so maybe mislead the scouts of what his ceiling was? At AFL level, his kicking was atrocious. At best they were slow hospital kicks, at worst rolling on the ground.

Unless he goes from suburban footy league skills to AFL grade in the space of a pre-season, I'm not sure why he's even on our list? You can't have a midfielder, presumably getting the ball 25-30 times a game, who can't kick.
There was a game in the carnival when his poor ball drop was there for all to see. He had a shot from goal to the Subiaco end after the siren. About 40 m out from goal and almost directly in front. The run in was average, the ball drop atrocious and he did not even make the distance (and was heading to the points). No wind and protected by the 3 tier stand. That is when alarm bells should have gone off.

Do you think he was taken early or shouldnt have been drafted by us?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am on record of disliking the Ainsworth pick and had ruled him out due to poor kicking in the second carnival game I saw him play at Subiaco. That said, the pitch by the recruiters would have been easy in that he made the U18 AA side named in centre and from memory he had the highest number of contested possessions in the carnival.

Do we look at player status more than substance?

How do your rate Edwards? Where have they been mainly playing him?

Big fan. One of the few rookie picks in the last handful of years i'm really bullish about.

Played him as KPD, but you can tell he's too mobile and skillfull for that so i don't think pure lockdown role will be his thing.

Surprised his WAFL stats don't look better. They certainly don't reflect how good he was coming in as a 19 year old.

Another season like 2019 and he'd be tracking nicely for a 197cm defender. I see good signs.

Do you think he was taken early or shouldnt have been drafted by us?

I think the general consensus was that he was taken a bit earlier than he should've been.

Take him with a 4th or a rookie selection and suddenly the discussion about him changes completely. Take another midfielder like Worpel or Constable with the pick we used on Ainsworth and that whole draft haul looks completely different.

Plenty of us were keen on Stoddart, Miers and Ballard as well.

Our rookies in 2017 were Olango, England and Burrows šŸ¤®

Big fan. One of the few rookie picks in the last handful of years i'm really bullish about.

Played him as KPD, but you can tell he's too mobile and skillfull for that so i don't think pure lockdown role will be his thing.

Surprised his WAFL stats don't look better. They certainly don't reflect how good he was coming in as a 19 year old.

Another season like 2019 and he'd be tracking nicely for a 197cm defender. I see good signs.

I think the general consensus was that he was taken a bit earlier than he should've been.

Take him with a 4th or a rookie selection and suddenly the discussion about him changes completely. Take another midfielder like Worpel or Constable with the pick we used on Ainsworth and that whole draft haul looks completely different.

Olango had promise, but had problems with the law, and so screwed up. The other 2, yeah - meh!

In a very early season game against Perth Edwards was superb. His reading of play, spoiling, overhead and pack marking was at Gov standard. Disposal by hand and foot was also v good. Got injured soon after that game and wasn't quite the same standard. Hopefully will have a good pre season and put on a bit of size and start the season as he did this year.

He reminds me off Harris Andrews a bit. Hopefully he can turn out like him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back