Training 2019/20 Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not opposed to your general line of thought (i.e. that we don't have to play one of Hickey/Vardy/Williams).

But I wouldn't have Jack doing any ruckwork outside ~30-40m from goals. Although he has proven to be a beast and can ragdoll 200cm+ ruckmen, we can't afford to have him pushing down the ground to make ruck contests; we need him on the end of it.

So who then does the rest of the ruckwork when the bench is getting wrecked by Nic's sizeable behind? Allen is really the only option and it is a big ask. Although he did have a fair few hit outs last year. Keys - has Allen been training any ruckwork this preseason?

All things considered, I'd be inclined to give Williams a crack round 1.
I understand Williams has been mainly playing KPF with a chop out in the ruck. I really like the idea of giving him first go in that role and see he could be a real weapon.

Whether it is Oscar or Williams, they will need to be coached so as to be not competing and bringing their man into the contest against JK and JD.

I am not opposed to your general line of thought (i.e. that we don't have to play one of Hickey/Vardy/Williams).

But I wouldn't have Jack doing any ruckwork outside ~30-40m from goals. Although he has proven to be a beast and can ragdoll 200cm+ ruckmen, we can't afford to have him pushing down the ground to make ruck contests; we need him on the end of it.

So who then does the rest of the ruckwork when the bench is getting wrecked by Nic's sizeable behind? Allen is really the only option and it is a big ask. Although he did have a fair few hit outs last year. Keys - has Allen been training any ruckwork this preseason?

Allen hasn’t been doing any ruckwork that I’ve seen but that would have as much to do with him being in rehab from a hernia operation as anything else. Was just getting back towards full training when he hurt his ankle so don’t expect he’ll be doing ruck work anytime soon.

Hickey and Vardy have also both been in rehab for much of the preseason which would be why Simpson has said they still have to work through the ruck situation.

Vardy v2018 is the best fit imo as he can play as a forward better than Hickey but Vardy v2019 didn’t offer much other than teasing a prostrate Gawn

Hickey I think struggled as a backup to Nic last year because he couldn’t impact up forward. His best football is as a lead ruck

Williams is more like Vardy and a strong showing in the next month could see him leapfrog his more senior teammates

That’s the three options as I doubt they’ll go with a stopgap option like Allen or Darling to partner Naitanui

Allen hasn’t been doing any ruckwork that I’ve seen but that would have as much to do with him being in rehab from a hernia operation as anything else. Was just getting back towards full training when he hurt his ankle so don’t expect he’ll be doing ruck work anytime soon.

Hickey and Vardy have also both been in rehab for much of the preseason which would be why Simpson has said they still have to work through the ruck situation.

Vardy v2018 is the best fit imo as he can play as a forward better than Hickey but Vardy v2019 didn’t offer much other than teasing a prostrate Gawn

Hickey I think struggled as a backup to Nic last year because he couldn’t impact up forward. His best football is as a lead ruck

Williams is more like Vardy and a strong showing in the next month could see him leapfrog his more senior teammates

That’s the three options as I doubt they’ll go with a stopgap option like Allen or Darling to partner Naitanui
I think it is time to give Bailey Williams his first taste of top level football.

Long term he is the answer. And the opposition rucks for the Marsh games and then round 1 are certainly in our favour with a NicNat/Williams combo

Marsh
Essendon - Phillips is their only fit ruck
Freo - Mr Reluctant Ruck Lobb and a returning Tabenar

Main Season
R1 Melbourne - Jackson as Gawn and Preuss are missing
R2 Saints - Marshall and Ryder a rougher assignment
R3 Cats - Stanley and Ratu
R4 Port - Lycett

For those with flexi game season tickets, I was getting anxious that my other ticket details and how to book the games had not arrived so rang the club. They told me that the details would be going out in the next 2 weeks. I let them know we start in 3 weeks so might want to do something unusual like keep members informed.

So flexi members - stay tuned.

I guess priorities change when you near sell out each and every game.

Well some teams may see him having value being a premiership player. Look he cost us 2 games late last year with his stupid decisions so he aint no friend of mine.
So was he a friend of yours before he lost those two games?
If he's cooked, clubs would know this and he woudn't have much trade value, with or without a medal...

Son asked me how long till footy starts, I said it's already countdown to Kelly Time!
Is it possible to place too much expectations on him?........Nah!
Besides, if not TK, someone is always going to be getting off the chain!
Imagine a freewheeling Yeo...?

For those with flexi game season tickets, I was getting anxious that my other ticket details and how to book the games had not arrived so rang the club. They told me that the details would be going out in the next 2 weeks. I let them know we start in 3 weeks so might want to do something unusual like keep members informed.

Thanx mate, I believe we had more time last year
to workout the season proceedings.

I think it is time to give Bailey Williams his first taste of top level football.

Long term he is the answer. And the opposition rucks for the Marsh games and then round 1 are certainly in our favour with a NicNat/Williams combo

Marsh
Essendon - Phillips is their only fit ruck
Freo - Mr Reluctant Ruck Lobb and a returning Tabenar

Main Season
R1 Melbourne - Jackson as Gawn and Preuss are missing
R2 Saints - Marshall and Ryder a rougher assignment
R3 Cats - Stanley and Ratu
R4 Port - Lycett
Gawn will play R1 I reckon

Teasing a prostrate Gawn is a better option than teasing Gawn's prostate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Instructions here:
My barcode was not on my card as it says on there, but they sent it to me in the email about tickets for the preseason games.
Tickets for regular season not available yet anyway.

Instructions here:
My barcode was not on my card as it says on there, but they sent it to me in the email about tickets for the preseason games.
Tickets for regular season not available yet anyway.
Correct on bar codes - it is on the 11 game ticket but not on the flexi ticket.

If Ainsworth had a bigger frame and could kick he would be a gun.

You would hope this is his last year if he can't improve?
I'd like us to try and get Luke English from Tigers, much better version of Ainsworth and much better kick. Wouldn't cost us anything either, as was late pick and way down the order at Tiges.

I guess my concern comes from us playing too many talls (because we have a lot of quality talls, which is a good problem to have)

NN
Gov
JD
JK
TB or Schoey

Add Brander and Allen, then think that Waterman may get a game, and Schoey might play in place of a small.

Then add a 2nd ruck (Hickey, Vardy, Williams)

That is guaranteed 8 tall players, and could quite easily be 10. It is too many. Ideally we probably have 7, maybe 8 if we want to consider Brander a mid (as that is where he likely plays). It might be as easy as cutting Waterman and Schoey (or TB and potentially Gov not playing the first round or two) - but personally I think Schoey offers more to the team than a dedicated second ruck - so if we can get 80mins out of NN and then a chop-out from some other players it might allow us to play a better overall squad.

I guess my concern comes from us playing too many talls (because we have a lot of quality talls, which is a good problem to have)

NN
Gov
JD
JK
TB or Schoey

Add Brander and Allen, then think that Waterman may get a game, and Schoey might play in place of a small.

Then add a 2nd ruck (Hickey, Vardy, Williams)

That is guaranteed 8 tall players, and could quite easily be 10. It is too many. Ideally we probably have 7, maybe 8 if we want to consider Brander a mid (as that is where he likely plays). It might be as easy as cutting Waterman and Schoey (or TB and potentially Gov not playing the first round or two) - but personally I think Schoey offers more to the team than a dedicated second ruck - so if we can get 80mins out of NN and then a chop-out from some other players it might allow us to play a better overall squad.
E711FD8D-FB40-433C-903E-792EEA38C7E2.jpeg

Meanwhile I get 4 letters, 2 emails, 3 reminder texts and a carrier pigeon from the club to remind me about each payment instalment on my membership :think:

Ryan Daniels
@FootyRhino

·
Feb 21

Bailey Williams rucking against Naitnaui. Getting a lesson early. First goal to Brander in blue. Very lively.

Ryan Daniels

@FootyRhino

·
Feb 21

Hurn controlling everything as yellow backline is under siege

Tim Kelly delivers precision pass to Tom Hickey who slots one from 45m. Kelly been in everything so far.

Last edited:
I understand Williams has been mainly playing KPF with a chop out in the ruck. I really like the idea of giving him first go in that role and see he could be a real weapon.

Whether it is Oscar or Williams, they will need to be coached so as to be not competing and bringing their man into the contest against JK and JD.

Oscar was very guilty of this last year. Team rule, get out of JKs way!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back