2019/20 Scottish Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The draw is out for the new Scottish season which begins on August 3, and defending Champions Celtic play their first game at home against St. Johnstone, while Ross County returns to the Premiership with a home game against Hamilton. The best game of the opening round is probably Aberdeen at home to Hearts, while Rangers will start the season away at Kilmarnock. The other games are Hibs at home to St. Mirren and Livingstone at home Motherwell.

Unfortunately the Scottish Premiership will end in another Celtic title, so let’s forget about them and talk about a few of the more interesting things that are happening in Scottish football.

For starters, the good news is Ross County won promotion back to the Premiership after only one season in the Championship. WOOHOO!!

More good news is Inverness remain in the Championship.
:)

Both Dundee teams find themselves in the Championship. I'm not sure if that has ever happened.

And way down in League Two a new Highland team makes its first appearance in the football league. Congratulations to Cove Rangers on their promotion.
Cove Rangers are located in Aberdeen, so who knows, if they can be as successful as some of other great Highland teams perhaps in twenty years we will see an Aberdeen derby.

Good luck to all the teams, but in particular the mighty Staggies, hopefully we can have a strong season and stay out of any relegation battle.

Last edited:
Ross County find themselves in second after a 3-0 win against Hamilton. Love it if we could hold this position all through the season. :)

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Staggies shoulda been equal first! Hearts might be in disarray.

Hard to knock Celtic's first two games, 6 points and +10 goal diff. Get past Cluj mid week and we're locked in for Europa group stages at worst.

Rangers and Aberdeen to win (qualifying is another issue altogether for the Dons) and the coefficient is not looking horrible for the first time since EBTs were in fashion.

too early to predict a 20 point gap between 2nd and 3rd this season?
Between Celtic and Rangers. Totally agree.

Think Ross County is going to take the title this year.

gtrxuone

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 20, 2014
W.A.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Black Ducks
Good win by Celtic. Does anyone else think both Celtic goals where soft.From Rangers point of view.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
Our national team has been even more disappointing than usual lately. I don't expect us to be world beaters but we should be doing a lot better than would what we are.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Our national team has been even more disappointing than usual lately. I don't expect us to be world beaters but we should be doing a lot better than would what we are.
I probably shouldn’t feel sympathy for Scotland considering the beef they give to us, but I find it a bit of a shame to see how far they’ve fallen. So many great players during the 70’s and 80’s and still a viable force in the 90’s. 1998 since they’ve been to a major final means there’s now a whole generation of Scots who’ve never seen them qualify. They’ve still got a play off chance though because of their nation league results I believe - although I’m not entirely sure how that works

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
I probably shouldn’t feel sympathy for Scotland considering the beef they give to us, but I find it a bit of a shame to see how far they’ve fallen. So many great players during the 70’s and 80’s and still a viable force in the 90’s. 1998 since they’ve been to a major final means there’s now a whole generation of Scots who’ve never seen them qualify. They’ve still got a play off chance though because of their nation league results I believe - although I’m not entirely sure how that works
Growing up in the 90s felt like peak Scottish football to me. A strong old firm with class players and a national team to be proud of.

Sad to know a lot of the once great leagues (Holland, Portugal, Greece) will never reach the levels of relevance they once had. Which is why I'm a big supporter of giving more leagues more CL places.

A very good start to the season for the Staggies, currently 5th and undefeated in our last four games. A tough run coming though, we are away to Celtic after the international break, then away to Hibs and home to Rangers at the end of the month.

Ross County appear to be more than competitive in the Premiership, except against Celtic and Rangers. Two weeks after a 6-0 thumping at Celtic, the Staggies get thumped 4-0 by Rangers. Still we are currently 7th, with 3 wins and 5 draws from our first 11 games, and 5pts clear of the relegation zone.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Ross County appear to be more than competitive in the Premiership, except against Celtic and Rangers. Two weeks after a 6-0 thumping at Celtic, the Staggies get thumped 4-0 by Rangers. Still we are currently 7th, with 3 wins and 5 draws from our first 11 games, and 5pts clear of the relegation zone.
Similar story to the Dons, currently up to 4th and look more than capable expect when we play the Rangers and Celtic where we get hammered. Huge gulf between those two and the rest, best we can hope for each year is a solid cup run

Newly promoted Highland club Cove Rangers have made a stunning start to their Professional journey, 12 games into their first season in the SFL and they sit 5pts clear on top with 10-1-1 record. Cove Rangers are the fifth Highland club to play in the Scottish Football League since the Ross County and Inverness were admitted in 1994.

Ross County currently plays in the Scottish Premiership.
Inverness currently plays in the Scottish Championship.
Petershead currently plays in League One
Cove Rangers and Elgin City currently play in League Two.

Because Cove Rangers are based in Cove Bay in Aberdeen, I wonder if that means Aberdeen are a Highland Club? :)

Interesting story on the BBC website, Inverness Manager is happy that there are no Highland Derbies this season.

No Highland Derbies

Sounds to me like the Inverness Manager knows his team raises the white flag every time they come up against the mighty Staggies. :D

Another thrashing at the hands of Celtic, this time 4-1 at home. Thankfully the entire league is fairly hopeless otherwise we would be sliding down the table at a faster rate than we are currently. Only one draw from our last five games, yet we have only slipped from 6th to 8th.

Ross County came from behind to beat Hibs 2-1 this morning and move back up to 7th. It's the Staggies first league win in 10 games.
We are now 6pts clear of the relegation zone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back