2019/20 Scottish Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't a bad move by Arzani. Celtic have a great reputation for developing youth but people have to realise it's not an easy team to break into. Took Rogic a few years and I believe Arzani would have had his chance of it wasn't for his ACL

Arzani moved too soon, he was only just starting to start regularly for Melb City. Another season or two would have done him great just like it did for Mooy.
nah didn't he go to Man City at like 18/19? that's not a bad age to move, you've got enough time to go out on loan for a few years while he'd also actually played at a senior level. but going from Man city to Celtic was just ludicrous, why are Celtic going to play him? they won't make money off him with sales and if he shows too much, he'll go back to his parent club. just a bit of a short-sighted move, if anything he should've gone to Genk or whatever the City affiliate in Europe is.

Mooy was mid 20s by the time he left Australia.

There's a heap of players like Arzani who are purchased by City then farmed out. If they're a hit they can sell them for uber $$$$. If they're not the loss is far out weighed by the hits they have. Kind of unfair on players and the sport in general. There was someone else that was nabbed from Melbourne City like that. Caceras?

Arzani has the potential but how many tricky wingers that can do a stepover are there at that age.

Australians are leaving Australia far too late, they should be going to Europe at 21/22 after a couple of years of consistent first xi football. the issue is the A-League clubs have a hard-on for recycled Ruben Zadkovich sorts, not enough guys are given chances, or maybe they're just all a bit soft.

but honestly if you are that age, you've played every week for 18 months or two seasons, I don't think moving to an Aberdeen, Hibs, Motherwell is bad at all. unless you're an absolute generational talent, I would go there rather than an Old Firm club. Arzani should've – he just isn't that good, Celtic especially have the resources to buy some much better, higher promising players ala Eduoard. go to one of those 3-6 finishing sides, play every week, get better, and by 23/24 you should be either moving to Celtic or a higher echelon Championship club which is your window to the Prem at 25-26.

Josip Skoko made some good comments: go to Europe, go anywhere, outside of the main three or four leagues they're mostly all the same story with two or three traditionally huge, still huge clubs who dominate and meh everywhere else. go to Belgium or Poland or Holland or Croatia, make sure it's a top six team, play every week, be dedicated, and you will get noticed. it took Skoko ten years but he got to play in the Premier League for a top 10 club. what else do you want from your career?

Australians who are only good enough for the SPFL and EFL can't get a UK visa. Big reason Australian presence has dropped off in that part of Europe.

Mooy was mid 20s by the time he left Australia.

There's a heap of players like Arzani who are purchased by City then farmed out. If they're a hit they can sell them for uber $$$$. If they're not the loss is far out weighed by the hits they have. Kind of unfair on players and the sport in general. There was someone else that was nabbed from Melbourne City like that. Caceras?

Arzani has the potential but how many tricky wingers that can do a stepover are there at that age.

I remember reading somewhere that the amount City received for Mooy when they sold him to Huddlesfield covered their entire outlay on Melbourne City alone.

When you put it that way it doesn't matter if they ever get another decent player from AUS again.

With many Scottish clubs earning next to nothing from TV money this doesn't surprise me. 42 professional clubs is way too many for a country of 5 million.
well 42 senior clubs, they're not all professional.

the bottom teams in the SPL are generally only paying a wage of £50,000 – third, four division guys are part-timers.

Is divvy 1 pro?
SPL is completely professional, lower sides there pay about £50,000 on average. top clubs in the Championship ala Dundee, Dundee United, DAFC probably don't spend too much less but the majority of clubs would be paying players 35-40ish. League Two, most guys are probably getting more money from being gym trainers than their football, I reckon maybe 15-20-grandish in League One?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SPL is completely professional, lower sides there pay about £50,000 on average. top clubs in the Championship ala Dundee, Dundee United, DAFC probably don't spend too much less but the majority of clubs would be paying players 35-40ish. League Two, most guys are probably getting more money from being gym trainers than their football, I reckon maybe 15-20-grandish in League One?

50k is a terrible wage as a footballer with the career being so short.

Don't forget the Highland and Lowland leagues. There is another 33 teams all with ambitions to climb the pyramid and play in the Football League. Last season Highland club Cove Rangers won promotion to League Two and was winning it at a canter at the time the season was called off. This season, Brora Rangers (HL) and Kelty (LL) were leading their respective leagues.

50k is a terrible wage as a footballer with the career being so short.
that's pounds.

even 50,000 AUD really isn't that atrocious. it isn't glamorous but if you don't want to do that, do a job where you have to get up at 5am or get home at 7pm where you have to pay to use gyms. I'd be a full-time footballer for £23,000 to live in the UK.

that's pounds.

even 50,000 AUD really isn't that atrocious. it isn't glamorous but if you don't want to do that, do a job where you have to get up at 5am or get home at 7pm where you have to pay to use gyms. I'd be a full-time footballer for £23,000 to live in the UK.

Football isnt a job you can do for 30 years. 50k pounds as a wage is atrocious.

Football isnt a job you can do for 30 years. 50k pounds as a wage is atrocious.
wtf are you talking about? 50,000 pounds is over a hundred grand in Australian dollars. are you another one of these bigfooty heroes who loves to imply they're loaded? how many people are on that much anywhere? that's a very, very good wage – even if you only make that for one year in your life, that's not bad at all.

plus... the average wage in Scotland is £23,000. which is pretty comparable to Australia's.

housing in Scotland is cheap, much cheaper than 'affordable' cities like Adelaide. youth employment isnt especially buzzing there either. if you make an average wage at age 19-22, then you're well ahead of the ned mates you probably kicked around with at school. football also isnt like a normal job in lots of ways, you can likely progress within a few years and in some instances, make your old yearly salary in a month. I know lots of clubs employ former youth players and guys who didnt make it in admin, merchandising, youth coaching roles too.

wtf are you talking about? 50,000 pounds is over a hundred grand in Australian dollars. are you another one of these bigfooty heroes who loves to imply they're loaded? how many people are on that much anywhere? that's a very, very good wage – even if you only make that for one year in your life, that's not bad at all.

plus... the average wage in Scotland is £23,000. which is pretty comparable to Australia's.

housing in Scotland is cheap, much cheaper than 'affordable' cities like Adelaide. youth employment isnt especially buzzing there either. if you make an average wage at age 19-22, then you're well ahead of the ned mates you probably kicked around with at school. football also isnt like a normal job in lots of ways, you can likely progress within a few years and in some instances, make your old yearly salary in a month. I know lots of clubs employ former youth players and guys who didnt make it in admin, merchandising, youth coaching roles too.

Football doesn't offer you the chance of a 30 year career. Any wage needs to take into account how short a football career is, hence 50k being a poor wage for a footballer. In a normal job that's a good wage.

EDIT: I wish I was loaded!

Last edited:
Football doesn't offer you the chance of a 30 year career. Any wage needs to take into account how short a football career is, hence 50k being a poor wage for a footballer. In a normal job that's a good wage.

A football wage needs to be commensurate with the income that is generated at that level. Scottish Championship is averaging, what, 4-5,000 people per game, with no TV coverage? Not sure how much you think they should be earning?

Most of these guys are (or should) be aware that of their relative standing in the game, and should be planning for life after football, whether it is somewhere within the sport or in something else entirely. It's not as if they retire from football and never earn another cent.

omg youre a *head.

this is Scotland we're talking about – not kids who grew up in Palo Alto.

if they had the intelligence and drive to become doctors, they could pursue that instead of football. they'd know their limit or realise a couple of years in they arent as good as they hoped and then hit the books.

but most of these guys are below to average intelligence. they are earning the average wage. if they didn't play football then they could work in a library, paint houses, or fix computers. but football is fun, you represent an entity older than you, you get chicks, you stay fit, and you make good connections.

if you enter football you know you arent guaranteed to progress higher than you are or to stay where you are for long. but risk and reward.

i also won't go into the fact that every single job has no guarantee. even the things like pro sports, with 5-year contracts normal life doesn't afford, they get cut when s**t like this comes up. your company could become insolvent, you could lose an arm in a wood chipper, you could be a s**t footballer.

most footballers in Scotland will lose their job and most pros don't really have savings - they have a normal mortgage they expected to pay off at the pre-covid trajectory: just like librarians, painters, or IT geeks. yeah it sucks they lost their job but it sucks everyone else did, too.

omg youre a fu**head.

this is Scotland we're talking about – not kids who grew up in Palo Alto.

if they had the intelligence and drive to become doctors, they could pursue that instead of football. they'd know their limit or realise a couple of years in they arent as good as they hoped and then hit the books.

but most of these guys are below to average intelligence. they are earning the average wage. if they didn't play football then they could work in a library, paint houses, or fix computers. but football is fun, you represent an entity older than you, you get chicks, you stay fit, and you make good connections.

if you enter football you know you arent guaranteed to progress higher than you are or to stay where you are for long. but risk and reward.

i also won't go into the fact that every single job has no guarantee. even the things like pro sports, with 5-year contracts normal life doesn't afford, they get cut when s**t like this comes up. your company could become insolvent, you could lose an arm in a wood chipper, you could be a s**t footballer.

most footballers in Scotland will lose their job and most pros don't really have savings - they have a normal mortgage they expected to pay off at the pre-covid trajectory: just like librarians, painters, or IT geeks. yeah it sucks they lost their job but it sucks everyone else did, too.

Bizarre melt, its common knowledge that the working career of a foorballer is very short compared to other careers. Hence why a very good wage for the average joe isnt a very good wage for a footballer. Cannot understand why that gets you so worked up.

that's pounds.

A lot of the Australians do that hoping to be picked up by a bigger club for a bigger payday and opportunities. Many would study for a post playing career. By mid 20s most are jack of it and come back to the A-League, mates and family. Alex Grant at Glory is a good example.Some like Jackson Irvine stick with it and now he's captain of a Championship side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back