2019/20 Test Series vs Pakistan & New Zealand

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Patterson was in the side you named, Paine isnt elite with the gloves and should never play for Australia again. Yes wade only had 4 scores higher than 20, everyone other than Smith and Lab has the threat of being dropped.
Wade just made two centuries. Will Pucovski simply does not warrant selection over him. To suggest so is close to lunacy. I’d give you Pucovski over Head. But he can belt some more shield runs first.

‘Everyone other than Smith and Labuschagne?’. So you’d put Lyon, Hazelwood and Cummins in that bracket would you?

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wade just made two centuries. Will Pucovski simply does not warrant selection over him. To suggest so is close to lunacy. I’d give you Pucovski over Head. But he can belt some more shield runs first.

‘Everyone other than Smith and Labuschagne?’. So you’d put Lyon, Hazelwood and Cummins in that bracket would you?
We're talking about batsman aren't we? Wade was good but not so good he's an automatic selection.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
We're talking about batsman aren't we? Wade was good but not so good he's an automatic selection.
Wade was one of two players to make a century for us. He also made his second ton in a critical chase without Smith. I am simply baffled that you can’t see that stability right now in our eleven is critical. There are 3 players that are untouchable, and one is Wade. To suggest Pucovski (who simply has had about one decent season) could dislocate Wade from the first test in Australia is simply foolish and completely based on no evidential grounds.

You do not drop a guy who just made two centuries in England whilst all but two others were dropping like pins around him. Labuschagne didn’t even make a ton FFS and you’ve pencilled him as ‘untouchable’. Absurd rationale.

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Shield starts Oct 10
First test vs Pakistan starts Nov 21

Looks like 4 rounds.
Will be a good month or so in the lead up to the test. That's a pretty big sample size we'll get. At least three spots up for grabs.

1. Warner
2. Khawaja/Burns
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Wade
6. Head
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Patto/Starc
10. Lyon
11. Haze

I'm pretty confident Warner will get it together back in Australia and if he gets a couple of 50s then he'll be in. The other three are wide open. Khawaja and Burns I reckon will be the two leading contenders for the other opening spot. This series has really damaged Bancroft and Harris' standings. Harris in particular. He just has no idea where his off stump is. Head has the same issue but he fought hard this series and finds a way. I think he was unlucky to be dropped and should come back in at 5/6 with Wade in the other spot. Patto and Starc will shoot it out for the third quicks spot and it should be a close one throughout the summer.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Lalor mentioned on radio there's 4 rounds of shield games before the first test.

Honestly, the selectors are mad not to try and blood some young players into test cricket before a very long layoff mid next year where we don't tour anywhere during winter, I think we will see a metric ton of Australian players playing county cricket next year as there's no national team commitments other than short format ones.

A reasonabley easy tour against Pakistan following what will be a tough tour against New Zealand will be perfect to get a better look at the likes of Labs, Pucovski, Richardson and even more of Kurtis Patterson.

We then have a very tough test championship schedule at the end of next year and into 2021 with Afghanistan* x 1 (H), India x 4 (H), South Africa x 3 (A).

The eye should be for the 2019 tours as preparation for the 2021 home Indian and away South African tours.

omarlittle1

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
My starting 11 for the home summer.

1.Burns/Renshaw (best performed in the shield leading up)
2. Warner (unfortunately)
3. Labuschange
4. Smith
5. Head/Patterson
6. Wade
7. Paine
8. Pattinson
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

I'd be keeping a very close eye on Pucovski and J Richardson's shield seasons in the lead up, as they could be smokey's to come in at 6 and 8 respectivley. Mitch Marsh is an ever intruiging prospect. Be fascinating to see how he goes in the first half of the shield season too....

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
1. Burns
2. Warner
3. Labuschange
4. Smith
5. Wade
6. Pucovski
7. Paine
8. Pattinson
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

Warner & Paine on thin ice this summer. Usie & Patterson (and Head to a point) unlucky to miss out. Starc & Richardson to get some games.

Bancroft & Harris back to shield to work their butts off for a chance for another look in

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Depending upon I'd prefer to see Marsh or Pucovski in the mix at 6 rather than Head. But there's a good few shield rounds to get a gauge of who's in form which will be important, particularly for the opening spot.

toml

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pucovski averages the same at FC level as Head does at test level the last year. I don't even rate Head that much but giving his spot to Pucovski at this point is silly. Unless Puc seriously outbats him at the start of the shield season then Head plays.

I like Pucovski but he is not putting out absolutely must pick prodigy type numbers like Prithvi Shaw, Ollie Pope and Shubman Gill. Another full shield season will benefit him in the long run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Pucovski averages the same at FC level as Head does at test level the last year. I don't even rate Head that much but giving his spot to Pucovski at this point is silly. Unless Puc seriously outbats him at the start of the shield season then Head plays.

I like Pucovski but he is not putting out absolutely must pick prodigy type numbers like Prithvi Shaw, Ollie Pope and Shubman Gill. Another full shield season will benefit him in the long run.
due to health issues pucovski has had an interrupted time of it. much better technique than head. but we agree, i don't rate head either.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I see Pucosvski as being more or less where Silk was about five years ago (it doesn't seem that long but probably was). Done some good things, looks the goods, but plenty still to prove. Hopefully he won't go the same way and fall into obscurity.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
How many rounds of Shield cricket is there before the 1st test?
There are four rounds. The first two are clear, the third is played alongside 6 T20 internationals so there will be some interruption there, and then the fourth is a clear round between the T20I's and the first test v Pakistan.

I would expect our quick bowlers will play two of the first three shield rounds then go into training camp for the first test. I would like to think none of the quick bowlers will play the T20I's but they probably will.

Our batsmen and Lyon will probably just play what they are picked in, which will give them at least 3 shield matches, and 4 for those not in the T20I squads.

We had a good lead up to the 18/19 and this is probably a bit better again. It's a much improved part of the Australian summer schedule.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Shield form will dictate an opening spot, #5, #6 and a 3rd quick. Everything else settled (Warner won't be dropped)

Warner
Burns/Usman/Renshaw
Labu
Smith
Head/Pucovski/S Marsh/other
Wade/M Marsh/other
Paine
Cummins
Starc/Pattinson/Richardson
Hazle
Lyon

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Shield form will dictate an opening spot, #5, #6 and a 3rd quick. Everything else settled (Warner won't be dropped)

Warner
Burns/Usman/Renshaw
Labu
Smith
Head/Pucovski/S Marsh/other
Wade/M Marsh/other
Paine
Cummins
Starc/Pattinson/Richardson
Hazle
Lyon
Can't see them dropping Wade unless can barely make a run in the Shield.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can't see them dropping Wade unless can barely make a run in the Shield.
Agreed they shouldn't but with how close he was to being dropped for the 5th test I doubt he's cemented his spot in selectors eyes

More than anything I hope Carey hits a few shield tons and Paine fails. That'd test the selectors bravery

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Agreed they shouldn't but with how close he was to being dropped for the 5th test I doubt he's cemented his spot in selectors eyes

More than anything I hope Carey hits a few shield tons and Paine fails. That'd test the selectors bravery
Was he that close to getting dropped?
They dropped Head before him and then he made a ton so I'd say he's relatively safe to start the summer.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Was he that close to getting dropped?
They dropped Head before him and then he made a ton so I'd say he's relatively safe to start the summer.
It was a pretty surprising move to escalate Wade to 5 and bring in Marsh wasn't it?

As I said, he should be safe but I think he's one shield form could change

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Warner
Usman
Marnus
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Mitch Marsh isn’t out of place in the top six to be fair. Harris & Bancroft do not deserve a starting place at this point. Head, Wade, MMarsh very close.

Burtonsgottago

Premiership Player
May 5, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Gabba the host - Warner stays solely for his record

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Hazelwood
Lyons

My team. Bancroft, Harris haven't done enough. Burns unlucky but feel like with Lab at 3 and Head in the middle order likely to go with experience in the last spot hence Wade staying. Gabba does well for controlled bowlers so predicting Starc misses. Start of the series so I feel it's unlikely M.Marsh gets a gig as it is unlikely to be a 5 day 25 wicket toiling road.
If it’s a DN Test, Starc plays imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back