2019/20 Test Series vs Pakistan & New Zealand

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
Basically same team but with Starc & Khawaja in.

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine (WK) (C)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

1 to 2 of(Shield): Burns/Bancroft/Harris
W.Pucovski
K.Patterson
J.Richardson
J.Pattinson
M.Neser

It's going to be a massive shield season for the openers looking to get a game.
Pucovski & Patterson must also perform to try to dislodge Head or Wade if they don't perform. Almost want Pucovski to play this summer to expose him and also make him eligible for county cricket.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
interesting to see thoughts after 2 rounds of shield.

for me:
locks: smith, labuchagne, paine, cummins, hazlewood, lyon
probables: warner, wade

last quick: starc probably has the front running with neser, pattinson and j.richardson in the mix.
opener: no idea to be honest khawaja, burns, harris , bancroft, renshaw were the front runners, maybe maddinson into the mix - for me its burns or khawaja.
last batting/allrounder spot: khawaja, head, pucovski, patterson or has s.marsh re-emerged again - surely not ? - maybe its time to take a punt on pucovski or khawaja @ 3, pushing marnus to 5.

toml

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If we go back to 36yr old Smarsh when we have a perfect opportunity to blood Pucovski I give up. Hell, I'd rather they still persist with Head than go back there.

Warner
Harris (Don't rate him but I think they will pick him)
Labuschagne
Smith
Pucovski
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Starc (Will get first crack now after the 10fer)
Lyon
Hazelwood

I think that is what we will get for the 1st test unless Head manages to get a score next match.

If we go back to 36yr old Smarsh when we have a perfect opportunity to blood Pucovski I give up. Hell, I'd rather they still persist with Head than go back there.

Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Pucovski
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Lyon
Hazelwood

I think that is what we will get for the 1st test unless Head manages to get a score next match.

Think that's the way they'll go, especially since there's only one more match before the team is selected. Would like to see Neser get a crack ahead of Starc, he looks like he's on top of his game. Would add to the batting depth as well.

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond

Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Pucovski
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Lyon
Hazelwood

love to see pucovski get a spot, but just don't think they'll risk him until they're certain he's good-to-go physically and mentally.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
Opener and number six still seem wide open, harris is probably fav to keep his spot as burns and Bancroft haven't taken their chances.

Number six who knows as unlikely as it would seem if marsh makes another score and none of the younger contenders stand up he might get a recall.

toml

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
love to see pucovski get a spot, but just don't think they'll risk him until they're certain he's good-to-go physically and mentally.
Hmm, not sure about that. I think they were already pretty close to playing him against SL at the beginning of the year. I don't think they would have sent him over to England before the Ashes if they didn't think he was ready. I think if he has a decent match next round he will play. We will see.

omarlittle1

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Hoping Pucovski gets a big score next match and locks himself into the side.
As for the free openers slot, at this point, Harris has it locked down (unfortunately).
Had high hopes for Burns and Renshaw but both have been extremely disappointing.
Starc also looks to have locked down the third bowling slot and if he maintains his current form will be very damaging over the summer.

Then pick Head!

Don't go back to the fail again as usual Marsh duds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the Stoin putting his name back in there? 3x 50's and 4 wickets to start the Shield season.

Slaps head repeatedly...

NO!

Just no, just never no!

He's an awful option!

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Slaps head repeatedly...

NO!

Just no, just never no!

He's an awful option!

He was 12th man for the last test on Australian soil and has started strongly in the first two rounds of this Shield season. The all-rounder Australia loves to have is currently injured. It isn't a dumb question to ponder if the selectors would consider him.

He was 12th man for the last test on Australian soil and has started strongly in the first two rounds of this Shield season. The all-rounder Australia loves to have is currently injured. It isn't a dumb question to ponder if the selectors would consider him.

Yes it is. He was awful in the WC, he's had two half okay games....and we don't need an A/R...If we do just play Nesser who is a better bowler and frankly he would hardly be worse than Marsh with the bat. We have Labausghne who can bowl, there's your A/R.

head has to prove himself again too. i'm no fan of marsh but if he continues racking up runs and there aren't younger alternatives knocking down the door - well

Pucovski for one can easily play. Honestly Marsh is a test match dud. This home summer is the perfect time to try a few young batsmen, with no disrespect meant we aren't playing England away or India.

Not Important

Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Hmm, not sure about that. I think they were already pretty close to playing him against SL at the beginning of the year. I don't think they would have sent him over to England before the Ashes if they didn't think he was ready. I think if he has a decent match next round he will play. We will see.
according to crash craddock they asked the vic selectors whether he was up to it and they said 'yep' which is why they sent him to england. they thought on closer examination he wasn't ready-to-go that's why the didn't play him. love the kid and think he's a real talent just want him to be an aussie player for the long term.

Not Important

Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Pucovski for one can easily play. Honestly Marsh is a test match dud. This home summer is the perfect time to try a few young batsmen, with no disrespect meant we aren't playing England away or India.
you could say the same about warner but bet they include him. that would be because there aren't others knocking down the door. think they were hoping renshaw would stand-up. he hasn't.

you could say the same about warner but bet they include him. that would be because there aren't others knocking down the door. think they were hoping renshaw would stand-up. he hasn't.

Warner at least has performed at test level before- couple of poor Ashes series doesn’t change that. Marsh is just a dud who has had goodness knows how many chances and still fails.

Warner - lock but will be on thin ice
Burns - Best of a lot who havent given a lot of confidence
Labuschagne - lock
Smith -lock
Wade -lock, but a 50+ score wouldn’t hurt next round
Pucovski - Specifically given squad and travelling experience and has started the season ok. No better time to blood him then a home series against two middle of the road teams
Paine - lock
Cummins - Team sheets are just printed with his name so they dont have to both writing it in every time
Pattinson - Bowled well against WA and bowled a lot of overs. Gives more than Starc does IMO
Lyon - lock
Hazlewood - lock

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Yes it is. He was awful in the WC, he's had two half okay games....and we don't need an A/R...If we do just play Nesser who is a better bowler and frankly he would hardly be worse than Marsh with the bat. We have Labausghne who can bowl, there's your A/R.
Yes we need all rounders for Melbourne and Sydney. If curators could produce wickets that actually did anything then there’d be no need for one. I think Stoinis will play this summer.

Hopefully we see Puckovski come in and then we’ll probably see one of him or Wade get dropped for Stoinis when we need an all rounder

Starc is taking wickets and bowling well for nsw so I think he’ll be in the Xl. Looks like he’s bowling more around the wicket to right handers and early on in his shield games. Taking wickets too. Always thought he should be doing that more often as we’ve seen how effective it can be for right arm bowlers who can hit the stumps to left handed batsmen. I think he’s in for a big summer personally

Warner is a lock I think but whoever walks out with him to open up is anyone’s guess.

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I think there will be one or two surprises in the batting line-up. Our opening situation is woeful at the moment and there is definitely at least one spot in the middle order.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back