Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
We need to talk about Davey.

Awful in the Ashes, and yes, he made 125 in the first shield innings of the summer, but since then he's gone 0, 1, 15* and now 4 today.

They'll pick him in the first test but he needs to fire up soon.

EDIT: or as Geoff Lemon puts it:

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Warner at least has performed at test level before- couple of poor Ashes series doesn’t change that. Marsh is just a dud who has had goodness knows how many chances and still fails.
warner failed again today.;) i'm no marsh fan but unless someone shows some real sustained form i'm thinking the selectors will go with him.

heard langer on the radio today and go impression that while he likes wil he is expecting more from him before he gets the nod.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
It's tough to pick a side, apart from a few the batting performances have been really underwhelming in the shield. Very little consistency.

??
??
??
Smith
Marsh
Labuschagne
Pain
Cummings
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

12th Jye Richardson

Contention for opening and one other batting spot:
Warner, Harris, Burns, Khawaja, Maddinson, Wade, Pucovski

My guess is that it will be Warner, Harris and Khawaja as the top three but gee it's going to be hard to pick them with no runs in the shield.

I wouldn't pick an all rounder, we don't have any genuine all rounders. Marsh is a bowler who can slog. Labuschagne is probably the best option as an all rounder, batting is great and bowling is better than part time. Wouldn't bother with pace all rounder as none of them are at the quality to play test cricket. If we were desperate then Henriques but I'd rather us bowl Labuschagne more.

Last edited:

Is the Stoin putting his name back in there? 3x 50's and 4 wickets to start the Shield season.
He shouldn’t be, but given the selectors have selected him in seasons where he barely averaged more than 10 with the stick, couldn’t put it past them to bring him.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Wade -lock, but a 50+ score wouldn’t hurt next round

You'd have to think he is a lock regardless. His two scores of 40 so far have come from a combined 200 deliveries. He has essentially done exactly what he did in the Ashes which is play important roles and stay in when it's been required.

What was Warne's Test XI?

SHANE WARNE’S FIRST TEST XI: David Warner, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Matthew Wade, Will Pucovski, Tim Paine (c), James Pattinson, Pat Cummins, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Starc (12th man).

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast

SHANE WARNE’S FIRST TEST XI: David Warner, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Matthew Wade, Will Pucovski, Tim Paine (c), James Pattinson, Pat Cummins, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Starc (12th man).
Thanks. Khawaja can’t make a run to save himself. He has no chance.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood

Warnie should name his team "Eleven guys I'd invite to a BBQ at my place".

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
This is my Test XI that I would like to see play in a fictional world

M.Taylor
M.Slater
R.Ponting
D.Martyn
A.Border (Captain)
S.Waugh
A.Gilchrist
S.Warne
J.Gillespie
J.Thomson
G.McGrath

archibald

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Just pick Stoinis and S Marsh so we can all melt and have something to talk about apart from the continuing decline of competitive pitches

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
We need to talk about Davey.

Awful in the Ashes, and yes, he made 125 in the first shield innings of the summer, but since then he's gone 0, 1, 15* and now 4 today.

They'll pick him in the first test but he needs to fire up soon.

EDIT: or as Geoff Lemon puts it:

mmmm. The hundred in the Gabba game was notable. No one else in that game really got near it with the bat. I would prefer Warner being picked off a difficult hundred and a few yuck scores than, say, Harris making a ton on a freeway.

I think he's on the downswing of his career but he's head and shoulders our best opener still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back